Expecting employees to “care about the business”

I've worked places where you just know they do not give a single shiny shite about you. One chairman once decided for a Xmas bonus we would love a cheap chinese made company branded plastic watch and a copy of his autobiography. Clueless. So I didn't care less.

But, I did in my last job because I genuinely believe the company cared about their employees and I also got a 10% bonus the bulk of which was down to the financial success of the company that year. So I was invested but it was more than that.
Management were very good with people and they had everything set up for a happy workforce. An amazing office space, a gym, good kitchen/break facilities. On top of that they held regular events like harbour cruises, drinks, coffee/cake mornings. And also had various wellbeing programmes too. They were very flexible when needing time off. Also little things like sending flowers when the bairns were born etc.

I also worked on team with a great bunch of lads and lasses who I would never want to let down so put in extra where it was needed.

Fuck, reading that back why did I leave.

Last edited:
I've worked places where you just know they do not give a single shiny shite about you. One chairman once decided for a Xmas bonus we would love a cheap chinese made company branded plastic watch and a copy of his autobiography. Clueless.

But, I did in my last job because I genuinely believe the company cared about their employees and I also got a 10% bonus the bulk of which was down to the financial success of the company that year. So I was invested but it was more than that.
Management were very good with people and they had everything set up for a happy workforce. An amazing office space, a gym, good kitchen/break facilities. On top of that they held regular events like harbour cruises, drinks, coffee/cake mornings. And also had various wellbeing programmes too. They were very flexible when needing time off. Also little things like sending flowers when the bairns were born etc.

I also worked on team with a great bunch of lads and lasses who I would never want to let down so put in extra where it was needed.

Very honest appraisal of himself there.

All depends on the company for me. Previous place I couldn't give a fuck about because of the way they treat people and the CEO was an utter thunder. Current company I do care more about, it is a start up company and everyone works well together. The other company was a PLC, although i don't think that was the main difference in the way they treat people.

I prefer caring about a business as I don't feel as motivated. Was once approached for a job at Newcastle United, and although I would love to work in football could I fuck work for them bastards and 'add value'

I’m at a place we’re extra effort and ‘caring about the company’ is rewarded.

Doing unpaid extra time is frowned upon though. Completely shags our ability to estimate how many people days a piece of work will take. So if you care, don’t do that, is the message.

All depends on the company for me. Previous place I couldn't give a fuck about because of the way they treat people and the CEO was an utter thundercunt. Current company I do care more about, it is a start up company and everyone works well together. The other company was a PLC, although i don't think that was the main difference in the way they treat people.

I prefer caring about a business as I don't feel as motivated. Was once approached for a job at Newcastle United, and although I would love to work in football could I fuck work for them bastards and 'add value'
Now that’s a workplace dilemma!

Imagine if you were out of work and it was the only job on the horizon.

Torture.

I’m increasingly hearing management at work complaining that not enough people “care about the business”.
But unless you’re a shareholder or the owner, why would you?
I can understand people taking pride in their work, that’s different. But as long as their job is safe, why would you expect any of the rank and file workforce to give a shit about the business itself, especially if they work for a multinational corporate giant? Unless they are working towards a tasty bonus or promotion, surely most people just want to hoy their coat on at 4.30 and escape, not stay back to get a job out cos it’s “for the benefit of the business”.

And yet it's massively expected of footballers

I’m increasingly hearing management at work complaining that not enough people “care about the business”.
But unless you’re a shareholder or the owner, why would you?
I can understand people taking pride in their work, that’s different. But as long as their job is safe, why would you expect any of the rank and file workforce to give a shit about the business itself, especially if they work for a multinational corporate giant? Unless they are working towards a tasty bonus or promotion, surely most people just want to hoy their coat on at 4.30 and escape, not stay back to get a job out cos it’s “for the benefit of the business”.
Every business started somewhere ,ours has approx 160 staff now in multiple locations and I was employee no1 .If I didn't care that wouldn't have happened ,simple as .I understand that the further you go up the scale you are paid more to care but the people who get to them places generally cared from the start

They don't give a fuck about you as an individual so why should you care. I do what's expected of me and not any more. They'll peddle you when it suits them so fuck them.
Some do and some don't,even the workers who have had lots done for them think the way you do

Last edited:
In my career roles (as oppose to jobs I did when I was younger) I've always worked longer hours than I've been expected to and gone above and beyond, but that's more been for personal progression reasons rather than a sense of loyalty to my employees.

Hasn't always worked as the impact mentally of consistently grafting for 60+ hours a week catches up with you eventually, either in the shape of your health or personal circumstances.

The place I'm at now is mid-sized and still privately owned vs. my last place which was a global corporate and my work life balance is so much better.

I've worked places where you just know they do not give a single shiny shite about you. One chairman once decided for a Xmas bonus we would love a cheap chinese made company branded plastic watch and a copy of his autobiography. Clueless. So I didn't care less.

Yeah but the harbour cruise was Seaham Harbour ;)

From the first day at work many years ago I always went with a sense of gratitude to the people/company that hired me above other potential employees. Even when they turned out to be poor employers I gave it my all but made plans to leave and left on good terms even tho I wanted to maybe rip their heads off.
A lot of folk seem to go into a job with the attitude of they should be grateful to have me .
Some of us are that good :cool:;)
I think it depends what is meant by the business, what is the business ? I work for the NHS as part of a tripartite organisation under a banner name.
I care about the NHS what it stands for socially, the service it gives to people and the employment and financial stability it gives to thousands. I work hard for those aims.
I don't give a fuck about the banner they have given the work we do and seeing pole climbers get pats on the back for production and innovation at the cost of staff wellbeing due to underfunding and understaffing. I don't respond to these peoples entreaties to care about the business, they mean a different thing.
The government doesn't care about " the business " in the way I do. If the banner business name went to the wall and we reorganised giving the same service I wouldn't give a fuck to be fair.
I think many employers who start businesses have difficulty understanding they overestimate the meaning of them, it's their baby not everyone's. Fair days work for a fair days pay is the bargain, caring costs extra in terms of money or reciprocated care.

“Imagine life as a game in which you are juggling some five balls in the air. You name them — work, family, health, friends and spirit and you’re keeping all of these in the air. You will soon understand that work is a rubber ball. If you drop it, it will bounce back. But the other four balls — family, health, friends, and spirit — are made of glass. If you drop one of these, they will be irrevocably scuffed, marked, nicked, damaged, or even shattered. They will never be the same. You must understand that and strive for balance in your life.” ― Brian Dyson, former vice chairman and COO of Coca-Cola.

“Imagine life as a game in which you are juggling some five balls in the air. You name them — work, family, health, friends and spirit and you’re keeping all of these in the air. You will soon understand that work is a rubber ball. If you drop it, it will bounce back. But the other four balls — family, health, friends, and spirit — are made of glass. If you drop one of these, they will be irrevocably scuffed, marked, nicked, damaged, or even shattered. They will never be the same. You must understand that and strive for balance in your life.” ― Brian Dyson, former vice chairman and COO of Coca-Cola.

What a lot of wanky shite. Balance is important but no need to come across as a bellend to reach that conclusion. (Brian, not you personally)

Back