Exercising with bad knees

wrighty

Striker
Can’t see a thread on this.
My knees are pretty shot- grade 4 cartilage wear in both and I’ve been told I am facing partial knee replacements.
I do a lot of cycling and until a bad flare up in August long distance hiking/ mountaineering and golf.
I can still cycle but walking is uncomfortable.
Am stretching and doing Pilates which helps and am using elliptical machine and swimming for cardio.
Also doing a fair bit of strength training ( leg press, deadlifts single leg step ups and down)
If anyone has any tips on exercises to help stave off knee replacements I’d be very grateful to hear from them - particularly anyone with personal experience or expertise.
And before anyone suggests it- doing nothing is not an option!!

A girl was in the gym last night who was a wheelchair user. She was going at a rate of knots on a rowing machine but I didn’t dare look to see whether she had legs or not.

Can’t see a thread on this.
My knees are pretty shot- grade 4 cartilage wear in both and I’ve been told I am facing partial knee replacements.
I do a lot of cycling and until a bad flare up in August long distance hiking/ mountaineering and golf.
I can still cycle but walking is uncomfortable.
Am stretching and doing Pilates which helps and am using elliptical machine and swimming for cardio.
Also doing a fair bit of strength training ( leg press, deadlifts single leg step ups and down)
If anyone has any tips on exercises to help stave off knee replacements I’d be very grateful to hear from them - particularly anyone with personal experience or expertise.
And before anyone suggests it- doing nothing is not an option!!

Not sure if it would help with avoiding knee replacements but I got bad knees old football injuries and find the rowing machine is ok and I can really push my self without any knee side effects,
Concept 2 rower website is excellent loads of good training advice and of course getting a good rowing technique helps
I got right into the indoor rowing scene loads of goals to set your self and you see great results pretty quick would defo recommend it for a full body work out

Back