Exercise Bikes

Lost around 2 stone in last lockdown cycling 1000 miles every 4 weeks. Put it all back on since then (as you do).

Picked it back up again this week. I actually like doing it. Slam a box set on the laptop and cycle whilst watching it. Jobs a goodun.

I had this debate last month whether to get bike trainer or exercise bike, for me its just for days cant get out and run cos of bad weather so ended up not being able to justify the decent wheel off smart trainers (if you can even find one stock was out beffore lockdown announced), the ones where have wheels on talks about tyre wear and getting special tyre, just seemd a hassle so after bit research ended up with

Obviously no swift or interactive classes but quite happy on it go an hour-90 minutes watching couple programs on my tablet.
That looks like the quality of build and price I was hoping to get myself, but I would like to connect to those virtual races and tours you see people doing on Strava..don't know how that works...? Hoping for some positive news on the work front this week and if I do will be ready to buy something like this.

That looks like the quality of build and price I was hoping to get myself, but I would like to connect to those virtual races and tours you see people doing on Strava..don't know how that works...? Hoping for some positive news on the work front this week and if I do will be ready to buy something like this.
Yeah these ones cant do that and means going up price points a bit or getting a smart trainer either the tyre ones (where you then need a training tyre and to keep changing over if going out) or proper ones that seem to need 4-500 quid especially if want automated hills. For use I needed I went with just a exercise bike and my tablet to watch nextflix or whatever on when riding and not worry about the zwift stuff.

Links were the starting point of my research if it helps.

Last edited:
I know nowt about these but tempted by a watt bike atom and zwift. I’d never go out on a road bike so not bothered about a bike and a kickr.

Am I right in thinking a magnetic resistance bike like the wattbike atom would be better than a concept 2 bike erg where you change the damper yourself, in terms of resistance in climbing hills on zwift. I assume the magnetic ones work in conjunction with zwift to add resistance automatically?

I got a smart trainer a few weeks back and joined zwift..........been a godsend with the weather being grim from a cycling perspective. Previous years I'd head to the gym or do a bit of swimming over the winter. The flexibility is class, especially with the kids at home.....I'm usually on either at 6-30am or on an evening when the kids have gone to bed.

You can get a brutal workout in an hour.........I've clocked up 550km so far in Jan.

I know nowt about these but tempted by a watt bike atom and zwift. I’d never go out on a road bike so not bothered about a bike and a kickr.

Am I right in thinking a magnetic resistance bike like the wattbike atom would be better than a concept 2 bike erg where you change the damper yourself, in terms of resistance in climbing hills on zwift. I assume the magnetic ones work in conjunction with zwift to add resistance automatically?

wattbikes app is fantastic, especially for free but I dont think there’s a £700-800 difference between an atom and bike erg myself(unless the ergs have shot up in price the past year). Can still hook the erg up to zwift. There’ll be less issues with maintenance due to it using a belt too

wattbikes app is fantastic, especially for free but I dont think there’s a £700-800 difference between an atom and bike erg myself(unless the ergs have shot up in price the past year). Can still hook the erg up to zwift. There’ll be less issues with maintenance due to it using a belt too
Managed to borrow a concept 2 bike until the gym re-opens

Right pain in the arse trying to work all my stuff and zwift.
Think I’m just gonna sack zwift off, link the bike to my garmin watch and use it that way.
It’s like there’s too many Bluetooth connections or something, plus zwift doesn’t send training loads etc to garmin which is annoying
Finally got it all linked up. What a fart on it is with the concept 2 bike. Biggest hurdle was trying to get it to send both power and speed/cad to my watch. Finally found a work around.

very clunky with zwift. Have to record it on my watch and on zwift, delete my watch ride on Strava, keep the zwift. Vice versa in the garmin app so i registers cycling vo2 max etc.

My mate reckons it’s much more straight forward on his wattbike atom

Last edited:
Right pain in the arse trying to work all my stuff and zwift.
Think I’m just gonna sack zwift off, link the bike to my garmin watch and use it that way.
It’s like there’s too many Bluetooth connections or something, plus zwift doesn’t send training loads etc to garmin which is annoying
Finally got it all linked up. What a fart on it is with the concept 2 bike. Biggest hurdle was trying to get it to send both power and speed/cad to my watch. Finally found a work around.

very clunky with zwift. Have to record it on my watch and on zwift, delete my watch ride on Strava, keep the zwift. Vice versa in the garmin app so i registers cycling vo2 max etc.

My mate reckons it’s much more straight forward on his wattbike atom
Straight forward with a wahoo kickr. What are you using zwift on?

I tried it on my phone last week and it was jittery af. Use my laptop.
It was canny when I got it working. Just most of the advice online for the concert 2 all seems to be there rowing machine. Got there in the end

Back