Exclusive: Covid-19 may not have originated in China, Oxford University expert believes

• Thread starter Deleted member 27897
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 27897

Big story appearing in the Telegraph yesterday, and makes sense as scientific evidence starts to find samples of the virus in other locations way beyond the timescale, such as Barcelona last March.

I'm guessing that means one strain of it is what mutated then spread across the world due to the local conditions of where it was and not all of the strains mutating at the same time.

That appears every so often, marmots (or something similar) carry it on the steppes I think and pass it on from time to time. I was pretty surprised when I looked into it a few years back whilst living in the West of China after an earlier case emerged and found out it kills a lot of people. Inner Mongolia is still pretty undeveloped all told.

I'm no expert, but is he essentially saying that the virus has lain dormant for years and then, all of a sudden, despite different socio-economic conditions, isolation of places such as the Falklands, and population densities across the world, activated at once? How does that explain the massive burst of cases in Wuhan at the start of this? Surely if it was everywhere and activated at once for some reason (which sounds like quackery to me) then we'd have seen cases the world over at the same time? It doesn't really seem plausible to me on the face of it?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's from an Oxford University expert.

Rejecting new scientific information just because it doesn't fit your beliefs is like those who were raging at Gallileo in the 17th century.
Exactly the same as those who accept one scientific opinion as factual in the face of many scientific opinions because it fits their beliefs
That appears every so often, marmots (or something similar) carry it on the steppes I think and pass it on from time to time. I was pretty surprised when I looked into it a few years back whilst living in the West of China after an earlier case emerged and found out it kills a lot of people. Inner Mongolia is still pretty undeveloped all told.

On the basis that we humans have only successfully eradicated one virus, smallpox, from the planet you shouldn’t be surprised and niether should people like Trump being saying we will kill COVID19

Last edited:
Oddly enough i've just been reading in the mail it could've been in china since 2012.
Some gadgies were shovelling out bat droppings from a mine and 3 died unexpectedly. The other 4 tested positive a year later.
Who to believe?

Oddly enough i've just been reading in the mail it could've been in china since 2012.
Some gadgies were shovelling out bat droppings from a mine and 3 died unexpectedly. The other 4 tested positive a year later.
Who to believe?
Do we have to believe any one? Surely the important thing is that we learn to live with this virus as it’s not going away and unfortunately that’s going to cost lives and livelihood.

unless looking back helps in that regard it’s pointless

Exactly the same as those who accept one scientific opinion as factual in the face of many scientific opinions because it fits their beliefs

On the basis that we humans have only successfully eradicated one virus, smallpox, from the planet you shouldn’t be surprised and niether should people like Trump being saying we will kill COVID19
Two. Rinderpest

Who to believe?

You can believe both if they have enough substance, neither story proves or disproves the other.

It's from an Oxford University expert.

Rejecting new scientific information just because it doesn't fit your beliefs is like those who were raging at Gallileo in the 17th century.

To be fair, another Oxford expert also reckoned we’d have herd immunity by April and it was safe to re-open pubs.

A single academic or a small unit aren’t infallible just because they’re from a good university, especially if it’s a pre-print on a developing issue.

Big story appearing in the Telegraph yesterday, and makes sense as scientific evidence starts to find samples of the virus in other locations way beyond the timescale, such as Barcelona last March.
If China is so great why don't you go and live there? You can eat bat soup till your hearts content. Oh but watch out for the bubonic plague, as it appears Covid has a new rival over there

They need to find out when the first cases appeared in China as it was clearly a lot earlier than when they announced it.

When they pin that date down they can start hypothesizing about any traces of the virus found elsewhere before that date.

Back