RR EXCLUSIVE: Charlie Methven discusses Sunderland’s investment, transfer window & scouting plans

I always enjoy the podcasts and I felt a bit more comfortable about the Academy or at least now understand the issues a bit more.

But the current position in the table and the recruitment that got us there was rammed into the last 10 minutes or not covered at all.

I think the broken lift crack is going to be the new rod to beat them with mind when in reality it's just one of scores of things on an asset care list that need fixed by sounds of it.

We are none the wiser why four American billionaires would give us 9 million while taking zero shares in the club and it's clearly a secret

Well who is telling the investors about the minority? And why is he going on about the minority all the time? Any given opportunity he has a pop

The people he's having a pop at deserve it. He's very clear that he'd prefer the club to be known for the 98% majority who are fantastic fans.

It doesn't matter how many times you say this, it won't make it true.

Both CM in the podcast and myself repeatedly on this thread have said there's nothing wrong with questioning or criticism, just do it in a civil manner, don't resort to unpleasantness or aggression.
You have shot down any crticism and often not in a civil matter ? Have the powers that be accepted any criticism ? I can't see any admission that they accept they have made mistakes although you seem to think they haven't at all ! You even defend a crass comment about fellow fans by saying it was right but the wrong time to say it ?? When is it ever right for owners who are happy to accept the amount support they get with open wallets to then have a f***ing pop ??? And I will say it again the constant mention of negative/aggressive fans for SD staying away is clever PR to deflect crticism.
The people he's having a pop at deserve it. He's very clear that he'd prefer the club to be known for the 98% majority who are fantastic fans.
He's making sure the 2% are getting all the publicity

Last edited:

Just talk about them then. There’s no need to repeatedly beat the drum about a tiny insignificant minority you can do nothing about. Ignore them.

Every time Charlie opens his mouth a discussion follows about how shit our fans are. He needs to stop doing it.

He’s said it’s none match going fans before. Well if that’s the case Donald could do to games. But wait, he can’t, because of fan abuse? There’s little or no evidence of this extreme abuse that is constantly reference as the trigger for this change in approach.

Just talk about them then. There’s no need to repeatedly beat the drum about a tiny insignificant minority you can do nothing about. Ignore them.

Every time Charlie opens his mouth a discussion follows about how shit our fans are. He needs to stop doing it.

He’s said it’s none match going fans before. Well if that’s the case Donald could do to games. But wait, he can’t, because of fan abuse? There’s little or no evidence of this extreme abuse that is constantly reference as the trigger for this change in approach.
His 'supporters' fuel the how shit our fans are at every f***ing opportunity ! Sick of hearing them defending people who see us as an opportunity to make personal profit over life long fans !

The fans wanted the seats changed, it was done. The fans wanted a stand renaming, it was done. The fans wanted flags, it was done. The fans even wanted the manager sacked and that was done too. The fans have been involved with the club far more in the last 18 months than they ever have.

I agree. It’s positive criticism.

At the end of the day we’re all fans here.
We all want what’s best for the club.
It’s just feedback from the fans so @Cack Stottie can take note & hopefully adjust his/their interviewing methods accordingly.

To be fair, ours is just one outlet. They do talk ins frequently where people can ask their questions themselves if they wish - Methven and Bally did a free event last week where they took questions from the floor for two hours. If there’s anything people feel required elaboration or there was something we missed (we had an hour to try and cover a lot of stuff) then there will be other opportunities - noticed Methven is doing a talk in at the SOL soon, and the RAWA are meeting with him shortly for the Supporters’ collective.

To be fair, ours is just one outlet. They do talk ins frequently where people can ask their questions themselves if they wish - Methven and Bally did a free event last week where they took questions from the floor for two hours. If there’s anything people feel required elaboration or there was something we missed (we had an hour to try and cover a lot of stuff) then there will be other opportunities - noticed Methven is doing a talk in at the SOL soon, and the RAWA are meeting with him shortly for the Supporters’ collective.

FWIW, I enjoyed the podcast.

Back