Excited

he probably gets a loyalty bonus to complete the contract. also as the team arent taining now im not sure anyone would be there if he walked in to the aol tomorrow.
I think the lad means him turning up and putting in a performance last season, which he didn't.

so why do you think john park-who has never been a dof willbe successful in the role?

Good question.

The director of football role signifies a philosophy more important to a football club than its current position. The philosophy is greater than the current manager or players. It shows that a club has an ethos or structure in which a club will build or operate.

Park as I incorrectly alluded to had done the role prior, what I meant was, he is highly regarded as being the person spearheading a certain manner of scouting very successfully at Celtic. One that concentrates on finding players, not widely known, available at well below their market value. This manner of scouting is something I believe fits very well into a philosophy that a DOF should be responsible for.

It is only one aspect of philosophy but lends itself well to various other areas of being forward thinking (analytics, integrating academy etc..)

Good question.

The director of football role signifies a philosophy more important to a football club than its current position. The philosophy is greater than the current manager or players. It shows that a club has an ethos or structure in which a club will build or operate.

Park as I incorrectly alluded to had done the role prior, what I meant was, he is highly regarded as being the person spearheading a certain manner of scouting very successfully at Celtic. One that concentrates on finding players, not widely known, available at well below their market value. This manner of scouting is something I believe fits very well into a philosophy that a DOF should be responsible for.

It is only one aspect of philosophy but lends itself well to various other areas of being forward thinking (analytics, integrating academy etc..)
Indeed he has a good record as achief scout-though I dont claim to know what method he used, wther he was more modern or whether he was old school, whether he relied on the vast network CEltic had or whether he found them, whether as manay managers do, he relied on certain agent mates, or not. A big question would be, Cektic have relatively vast infrastructure for things like academy, medical, etc that are part of a DOfs job..would he have experience of trying to implement those things on a smaller scale?

Indeed he has a good record as achief scout-though I dont claim to know what method he used, wther he was more modern or whether he was old school, whether he relied on the vast network CEltic had or whether he found them, whether as manay managers do, he relied on certain agent mates, or not. A big question would be, Cektic have relatively vast infrastructure for things like academy, medical, etc that are part of a DOfs job..would he have experience of trying to implement those things on a smaller scale?

All valid questions on what is completely hypothetical however the very idea of a philosophy and employing someone who has had success in a big job excites me.

Contacts are a funny thing when it comes to scouting, Wenger, for example, had a large amount of "contacts" in many different countries for which the majority of youngsters were found. It's very different to knowing people at Wigan for example. Mignolet bizarrely came from an ex-keeper of Steve Bruces.

Analytics are only as good as those who either create the algorithm or use the data. You still have to have the imagination and stomach to sign players like Ki & Wanyama.

grigg is s better player than some of those like...certainly better than mccourt or mcginn...
Apart from McLaughlin and McGeady every player on that list is better than what we signed. McCourt and McGinn would have been great signings in League One (past it now). In their prime they'd have walked into the current XI. Neither are strikers. The only striker on there is Dembele who was signed for £500,000 and sold for £20m

All valid questions on what is completely hypothetical however the very idea of a philosophy and employing someone who has had success in a big job excites me.

Contacts are a funny thing when it comes to scouting, Wenger, for example, had a large amount of "contacts" in many different countries for which the majority of youngsters were found. It's very different to knowing people at Wigan for example. Mignolet bizarrely came from an ex-keeper of Steve Bruces.

Analytics are only as good as those who either create the algorithm or use the data. You still have to have the imagination and stomach to sign players like Ki & Wanyama.
well tony coton worked at man utd and man city as a scout and coach. the point ith park is, does he know any players at the level safc are at? celtic play in a shit league, but its eueopean football every year and players around the world have heard of them, and because celtic are such a big club in terms of resource, i wonder if the chief scout ever did owt with the academy or the medics, in a small club one is probably closer to all of that, less so at celtic. Thats not to say he wot succeed, just that we arent getting a proven operator.

Apart from McLaughlin and McGeady every player on that list is better than what we signed. McCourt and McGinn would have been great signings in League One (past it now). In their prime they'd have walked into the current XI. Neither are strikers. The only striker on there is Dembele who was signed for £500,000 and sold for £20m
nothing in their respective careers suggest niall mcginn or paddy mccorut are better than will grigg or even morgan for that matter..

Last edited:
well tony coton worked at man utd and man city as a scout and coach. the point ith park is, does he know any players at the level safc are at? celtic play in a shit league, but its eueopean football every year and players around the world have heard of them, and because celtic are such a big club in terms of resource, i wonder if the chief scout ever did owt with the academy or the medics, in a small club one is probably closer to all of that, less so at celtic. Thats not to say he wot succeed, just that we arent getting a proven operator.

nothing in their respective careers suggest niall mcginn or paddy mccorut are better than will grigg or even morgan for that matter..

We're getting a proven chief scout from a large European club that has shown success at operating in an intelligent manner in a job that signifies an intention to be clever. I don't know many successful league one directors of football that we could have got, Les Reed perhaps.

Is it guaranteed success, of course not. Nothing ever is. But I for one gain optimism from the thought of us trying as opposed to the current course were on.

We're getting a proven chief scout from a large European club that has shown success at operating in an intelligent manner in a job that signifies an intention to be clever. I don't know many successful league one directors of football that we could have got, Les Reed perhaps.

Is it guaranteed success, of course not. Nothing ever is. But I for one gain optimism from the thought of us trying as opposed to the current course were on.
i agree with the bprad thrust of what you are saying-and i would be veryptimistic if we were getting him as a chief scout-as he has done that role-but we arent. we are getting him for a role he has never performed.
i personally think the director of football/technical director is the most important person on the football side of a club-managers come and go, players come and go, DOFs can stay forever. But I think in england there is a confusion abotu the role-people think the role is in charge of the first team, when in fact it should have relatively little to do with it. managers decide how well this season will go..dofs decide how the next five seasons will go.

More clueless than Congerton and that is saying something.
Feckin U. S.

You surely don't mean the De Fanti episode??
That crock of shite set us back big time.
Moberg Karlson, Diakite , Roberge, Cabral, Celutska etc etc total f***ing shite.

Oh fuck the Congerton and DeFanti...............all I need to hear is that one with the initials M.B....and I will probably..spewwwwwww

McCourt played 88 times for Celtic. He played Championship football for Barnsley and Brighton. He's got 18 caps for NI.
Niall McGinn has played 276 games for Aberdeen and has 56 caps NI.
Lewis Morgan has played 17 games of top flight football in Scotland.
Will Grigg has only played 2 seasons outside League One.

I don't know why you are picking those 2 out. But every other player on that list is better than anyone we have signed in the last 2 seasons.

McCourt played 88 times for Celtic. He played Championship football for Barnsley and Brighton. He's got 18 caps for NI.
Niall McGinn has played 276 games for Aberdeen and has 56 caps NI.
Lewis Morgan has played 17 games of top flight football in Scotland.
Will Grigg has only played 2 seasons outside League One.

I don't know why you are picking those 2 out. But every other player on that list is better than anyone we have signed in the last 2 seasons.
those stats are not that impressive relative to grigg...he has played champo football..aberdeen's level is horrid

Back