Excel Help

Apologies for the daily Excel help thread.

I have a massive spreadsheet in front of me – it’s basically a record of all of our contacts, with varying levels of detail – Name, Job Role, Email Address etc.

I want to order this sheet by email address which is easy enough – but then I want to highlight all the duplicate email addresses, which again is fine…

Then I want to delete every duplicate – leaving only one instance of that address.

I can do this – but then Excel moves every email address up the column meaning the address is out of sync with the rest of the contact details…does anybody have a solution to this?

Cheers

BG

Apologies for the daily Excel help thread.

I have a massive spreadsheet in front of me – it’s basically a record of all of our contacts, with varying levels of detail – Name, Job Role, Email Address etc.

I want to order this sheet by email address which is easy enough – but then I want to highlight all the duplicate email addresses, which again is fine…

Then I want to delete every duplicate – leaving only one instance of that address.

I can do this – but then Excel moves every email address up the column meaning the address is out of sync with the rest of the contact details…does anybody have a solution to this?

Cheers

BG
Filter all of the email addresses you do not need then highlight the said email addresses... [Ctrl + G], special, Visible cells only, right click and delete entire row

Data, remove duplicates, only have the column you want duplicates romoved in ticked.

Sounds like you have your e-mail column highlighted and aren't expanding the selection.

Pivot table and count on addresses and look at those with a count greater than 1

Filter all of the email addresses you do not need then highlight the said email addresses... [Ctrl + G], special, Visible cells only, right click and delete entire row

I'll try this in a bit - thanks!

Data, remove duplicates, only have the column you want duplicates romoved in ticked.

Sounds like you have your e-mail column highlighted and aren't expanding the selection.

I think expanding the selection is what is causing me trouble

Ops an idiot

Yeah I'll take that

Pivot table and count on addresses and look at those with a count greater than 1

You what now?

If your stuck with Excel, this'll work.

Add another column, enter the following (replacing the a1 bits with the first cell in the column you want to check):

=if(countif($a$1:a1)=1,a1,"")

Fill down then copy results and paste back special values over the original.

Back