Ever been offered a bribe at work?

when i worked i was offered , but didn't fancy the sack if caught.

worked with a lad in shields townhall fixing printers and he was swiping letter headed paper from the top bosses printers to obtain money and got caught and sacked on spot.

I was "offered" :cool: the use of a villa in the South of France with a hostess (ahem) if an office cleaning contract went a certain way. This was way before all of the anti-bribery shit came into being. Unfortunately or fortunately as it may be, their tender was so shit I couldn't remotely consider them.

Apparently we not even allowed to accept a bottle of something off anyone at Christmas. They can fuck right off, most companies have even stopped giving them out now because of it :rolleyes:

We had some integrity training today and were advised that “if someone offers you a cash bribe, politely refuse, but try and take a photograph of it as evidence”. :lol:

I can see most bribers being perfectly happy with this, especially in the middle of Kazakhstan or similar.
I was offered 2 grand once. When I used to work in the loans call centre for Lloyds. A guy rang me up saying he wanted a loan to put on a stock he new was going to rocket within a week. I told him we couldn't give loans to purchase stocks and he said oh well I'll just ring back through. I explained I have to put a marker on his account now and anyone else will refuse him. He then said he would like to meet me in branch to discuss loan options which due to his account status he was allowed to. When I met him there he offered me 2 grand in cash to put the loan through. At the time I was skint constantly so I was so tempted to take it but instead I reported him and he got done for fraud (I can't remember the exact law he was done under). Luckily I did though, because at this point with all the PPI scandals they had started recording meetings with customers and randomly checking them just like calls. The call was randomly checked so it would've resulted in the subsequent meeting getting checked and me likely doing time had I not.

I was in a car when we got pulled over for speeding in South Africa during the world cup. The copper went on and on about locking up my mate who was driving, how far he would take him, how long it would take to process, who he'd be in with, then he goes "Or you can just pay the fine now". The only paperwork involved went from us to him.

Not me directly, but some years ago got involved in an investigation into allegations of such actions and was grilled by company lawyers. Not a nice experience. I am not made for that kind of stuff.

Depends what you count as a bribe.

When I was in IT at a third-party customer management company in Newcastle (don't really want to name names), one of their clients was a major cosmetics (and soap powder and all that stuff) company also based in the north east.

They used to have loads of the sampler bottles of aftershave and perfume to send out to any retailers that requested them and there was always a surplus on site.

So, when they wanted anything doing, and there was a backlog of work, we knew that if we bumped their tasks up the queue a little, we'd probably end up with a big bottle of smellies for our troubles.

Is that a bribe?

Last edited:
I was once working as quality control on a huge site. £500,000,000 contract value. Got an assistant, a Bulgarian lad. After two months he asks if he's doing ok cos if he was could l include him in the backhanded. I explain to him that l don't take backhanders and the UK is relatively corruption free. He tells me l must be mad. Three weeks later the cash for questions and mp expenses scandal breaks. Boris came in next day and spent the whole day telling me that l must be the most naive bloke he's ever met.

Been offered a couple of times but always refused. Not worth getting the sack and having a tarnished work record for a short term gain. Can't even remember what they were for now as even the last one was so long ago, plus we've switched to national suppliers, so if anyone is getting them its now much higher up the chain than me.

I was in a car when we got pulled over for speeding in South Africa during the world cup. The copper went on and on about locking up my mate who was driving, how far he would take him, how long it would take to process, who he'd be in with, then he goes "Or you can just pay the fine now". The only paperwork involved went from us to him.
Gangbangers - you gotta f***ing love em

When I was in IT at a third-party customer management company in Newcastle (don't really want to name names), one of their clients was a major cosmetics (and soap powder and all that stuff) company also based in the north east.

They used to have loads of the sampler bottles of aftershave and perfume to send out to any retailers that requested them and there was always a surplus on site.

So, when they wanted anything doing, and there was a backlog of work, we knew that if we bumped their tasks up the queue a little, we'd probably end up with a big bottle of smellies for our troubles.

Is that a bribe?
No, it’s an “incentive”. We are supposed to declare if we go on a job and the client provides sandwiches for lunch FFS.

Last edited:
I was on site with a few guys from one of the big supermarkets and offered to pick up some bacon rolls for everyone. They refused to let me buy them as it might be considered a bribe and they then had to drive to their local store for a breakfast in the canteen as that was procedure. Reckon if I'd offered them a use of me Biro they'd have been on the phone to HR to double check they were allowed.

Asda by any chance?

Is that a bribe?

P&G I presume :lol:

And no that sounds fine. I used to regularly get wine and hampers at Christmas from recruiters. Only a bribe if it induces behaviour or favouritism

I have paid a couple, I paid a doctor to give me a medical for the driving license test in China as I failed as I was classed as colour blind (I was renewing my license for the third time and the first two tomes I wasn’t colour blind) and then I paid the car hire company in China 30 quid for someone else to take the speeding points the wife got in Beijing

Other way round for me.

I was told by an Indian customer that if I gave some customs bloke a dropsy they could get their delivery of product through the process a lot faster.

I said I was in no hurry for the delivery, they were. The bloke then said ok, I'll just make a claim for breakages against you and pay them with that.

When I got back home the claim came through and I refused it.

Apparently we not even allowed to accept a bottle of something off anyone at Christmas. They can fuck right off, most companies have even stopped giving them out now because of it :rolleyes:

Cos h&s have gone mental most sites are alcohol free now. Sacksble offense if a bottle leaves one blokes boot n goes in another. Worlds gone dsft.

Back