EU votes to end daylight savings clock changes

Not seen this posted so apologies if SEB

Euro MPs vote to end summer time clock changes

I'd be happy to be in permanent summer time so it's lighter till later in the day in winter. It means a darker start to the day in winter, but that's doable.

It seems that countries might get to choose whether they want to be in permanent standard or daylight savings times though which seems a bit strange as you could have neighbouring countries nominally in the same time zone permanently an hour apart.

The older I get the grumpier I get with the time changes. Never used to bother me as a bairn. It’s been mooted over here but I doubt will move as quickly as in the EU. Some states like Arizona don’t bother so are often at odds with their neighbours. There’s even a small triangle of Texas around El Paso that’s in mountain time while the rest of Texas is on Central Time. Same as the Florida panhandle in central time while the rest is on eastern. Must be very odd for those who live near a border to cross an imaginary line in your neighbourhood and be an hour behind.

The older I get the grumpier I get with the time changes. Never used to bother me as a bairn. It’s been mooted over here but I doubt will move as quickly as in the EU. Some states like Arizona don’t bother so are often at odds with their neighbours. There’s even a small triangle of Texas around El Paso that’s in mountain time while the rest of Texas is on Central Time. Same as the Florida panhandle in central time while the rest is on eastern. Must be very odd for those who live near a border to cross an imaginary line in your neighbourhood and be an hour behind.
I didn't realise DST was only brought in after WWI to save energy by prolonging the summer days.

I'd be happy to be in permanent summer time so it's lighter till later in the day in winter. It means a darker start to the day in winter, but that's doable.

It seems that countries might get to choose whether they want to be in permanent standard or daylight savings times though which seems a bit strange as you could have neighbouring countries nominally in the same time zone permanently an hour apart.

I've always thought that extra hour of Light we could have on winters evenings would be a shot in the arm of the general economy, people more inclined to do stuff at weekends and after work in the early autumn and late winter. I'm sure one of the arguments in the past was kids walking to school in the dark, none of the fuckers walk anywhere these days and certainly not to school.

I'd like a really good set of reasons as to why we should keep it.
It seems like pretty pointless for most people to have to move the clocks forward and back during the year.

Spain and Portugal are an hour apart - Portugal use GMT / BST.

Personally I would keep BST all year round - I'd rather have the extra hour of daylight in the evening.

There’s some neighbouring states in NA that don’t match up half the year. It’s fucked up

Well I guess this covers my post.

At Hoover Dam they have a clock on either side and it’s supposed to represent the time line change. It doesn’t work for 6 months of the year as they’re both on the same time line :lol:

Back