Estate Agents

Michael Hodgson and Alfred Pallas both get my recommendation.

The online estate agents serve their purpose but there’s a massive gulf in quality with the photographs (assume you take these yourself).

Purple bricks have little clauses worth looking into before committing, you have to pay the fee even if it doesn't sell, you have to use their preferred solicitors (costly). Also being online based sounds great but forget about getting decent feedback, people just click the options marked out of five and that's it. For me their model lacks any human insight, you have no idea what's going on in reality.

I sold my house with them but that was after I stopped listening to them with regards to price (offers over nonsense), stopping their lazy/suits them open days and started doing the viewings myself.

I'd use a local independent company and negotiate a deal myself, it's worth the hassle to take control of the sale yourself.

We used Goldfinch last year and couldn’t fault them at all. Really good.
However, we didn’t use the solicitor they recommend (Sweeney Miller) but our buyers and sellers did and they were absolute dogshit, really held things up and were pushing to exchange and complete on the same day (which we weren’t happy about and resisted. Too much opportunity for something to fuck up on moving day). Avoid those fuckers like the plague.

Back