Espresso / Cappuccino machines.

They're terrible. I don't rate any of the pod machines except the nespresso ones. And even those aren't really espresso.

I'm convinced all the delonghi btc "super-automatic" machines are basically the same inside, just different features on the outside - digital vs analogue controls, size of water container etc.

Best pod ones are the lavazza Modo Mio.. doing deal at the moment if you buy enough coffee give you a basic machine for a quid

They're terrible. I don't rate any of the pod machines except the nespresso ones. And even those aren't really espresso.

I'm convinced all the delonghi btc "super-automatic" machines are basically the same inside, just different features on the outside - digital vs analogue controls, size of water container etc.
Yeah I didn't want to spend a fortune on my first one and reviews were good.
Spot on so far I must say, just knocked up a nice latte. Bought a 1kg bag of lavazza beans and a milk jug with thermometer from amazon.

Would you go for a bean-to-cup machine? You can get good prices on manufacturer refurbed machines from De Longhi. I got one last week for abut £210 and its great so far.

I prefer ground coffee, simply because it’s all I’m used to mate.

Would you go for a bean-to-cup machine? You can get good prices on manufacturer refurbed machines from De Longhi. I got one last week for abut £210 and its great so far.

This. I was surprised by the improvement in stepping up to a btc machine from a stand alone espresso machine and separate grinder.

This. I was surprised by the improvement in stepping up to a btc machine from a stand alone espresso machine and separate grinder.
100% - the step up is huge. Piece of piss to operate as well and you can try mixing all sorts of beans/strengths if you want to experiment.

This is pretty much what I was getting at - espresso is a bit tricky and people don't realise. A btc is a crap espresso. Not even real espresso according to those who know. Its a fairly consistent method though - that's what btcs are good for.

A separate espresso machine and grinder is by far a better solution - but you need to learn how to use it. Also, the grinder & espresso machines need to not be crap.

I had a low-end delonghi espresso machine and a blade grinder - so very low end. tbh, my espresso from that was better than from the £600 primadonna machine I replaced it with. But only just. (Blade grinders are terrible for espresso)
btc are ace for ease, no question.

Last edited:
This is pretty much what I was getting at - espresso is a bit tricky and people don't realise. A btc is a crap espresso. Not even real espresso according to those who know. Its a fairly consistent method though - that's what btcs are good for.

A separate espresso machine and grinder is by far a better solution - but you need to learn how to use it. Also, the grinder & espresso machines need to not be crap.

I had a low-end delonghi espresso machine and a blade grinder - so very low end. tbh, my espresso from that was better than from the £600 primadonna machine I replaced it with. But only just. (Blade grinders are terrible for espresso)
btc are ace for ease, no question.

I had a burr grinder, and a £100 espresso machine, experimented with grind quality and just left it no matter what beans I used, couldn't taste any difference. Only time I changed it was occasionally the machine couldn't cope with too fine a grind on certain beans.

I now have a bean to cup and it makes better coffee. It must be better if even my palate noticed. Better crema, fuller flavour.

I'd replace my btc with another tomorrow, though doubt I'd spend much more than say £300 on one, unless I tried one first and could see a difference. I'm happy with the coffee I get.

Only on Sunday...
I know its expensive, but I bought a sage tea maker kettle. Has a hopper that is dunked into water of the right temp for the right time which you set beforehand.
Its simple, but brilliant. I never thought I could tell the difference with loose tea, but after a while you really can.

Same with coffee. Until recently I'd never really thought about it, but now I'm tasting the sour or bitter flavours depending on how the shots have been pulled.

Back