'Escaping the madness': steep rise in Londoners moving to northern England

I’ve been down here since 1991 (and have been away since 1986) but I think the plan is to retire back up north, somewhere on the coast. Tynemouth maybe? Wor lass (no way) is a cockney and more keen on the move than me. I think I would miss London a fair bit but the overall quality of life considerations would make it worthwhile - especially as we get older.
Tynemouth is lovely. You are on the metro line. The north east has loads to offer anyone imho. If you cash in your chips you could have a brilliant time.

Tynemouth is lovely. You are on the metro line. The north east has loads to offer anyone imho. If you cash in your chips you could have a brilliant time.

We know the area well given I’m from the area. But she loves being by the coast.It has a lot of attractions - I think you’re right as it would be a good place to live once we have finished work. Sell up down here and could then afford a smart place back home. It’s certainly an attractive thought. It’s not like we wouldn’t go back to London for visits, etc.

That is what I'm a bit scared of...maybe I should just stay in London.

edit: but as I age, maybe walking around the countryside/beachfront might be all I need?
We moved from a city to life in the countryside and I love it. I do miss easily going to gigs, but there are still pubs and restaurants. Every day though I look at the scenery and think how lucky I am to live here. How driving somewhere is actually a pleasure rather than a chore. Knowing the people in your local shops and services and feeling part of a community. Leaving your doors unlocked and not worrying about it. Plus getting into the outdoors. Riding, walking, swimming etc

Some right wrong'uns moving north as well.

Im convinced many of the cockneys now in the collieries have been dumped up here by authorities, shitloads of them.

But aye for years on the trains Ive spoke to londoners too whove fecked off from there for good. Fair enough imo, common sense. Mind a lad I know done so and commented “took the kids to the beach on sunday n it was beautiful, not a black face in sight!”:eek:

Im convinced many of the cockneys now in the collieries have been dumped up here by authorities, shitloads of them.

But aye for years on the trains Ive spoke to londoners too whove fecked off from there for good. Fair enough imo, common sense. Mind a lad I know done so and commented “took the kids to the beach on sunday n it was beautiful, not a black face in sight!”:eek:

get out of stab city where nobody cares about anybody, its a no brainer tbf for them

Lived and worked in central London for a while in the 60s/70s. Really loved it but when I visit now it feels too crowded and I wouldn’t want to live there permanently. I think it’s a great place when you’re young but how often do those who live there really take advantage of the theatres, galleries etc.? I live in a small town in Oxfordshire. I have fields and woods for dog walking, cinemas and theatres a bus ride away and I can be in London in an hour by train. The only thing for which I do really envy my sister, who lives on the outskirts of London, is her free train travel into London with her pensioner’s travel card. We just get free buses.

Doesn't say much for multiculturalism does it when London is often the example cited as it being a success.

Its actually pretty damaging to the economy aswell - load of southerners moving up with cash on the hip from selling their inflated properties down south will inevitably increase prices up here in which Northern folk will struggle to compete with.

Lived and worked in central London for a while in the 60s/70s. Really loved it but when I visit now it feels too crowded and I wouldn’t want to live there permanently. I think it’s a great place when you’re young but how often do those who live there really take advantage of the theatres, galleries etc.? I live in a small town in Oxfordshire. I have fields and woods for dog walking, cinemas and theatres a bus ride away and I can be in London in an hour by train. The only thing for which I do really envy my sister, who lives on the outskirts of London, is her free train travel into London with her pensioner’s travel card. We just get free buses.

Couldnt bear bringing kids up there like.
When i see bairns going to school or on school trips etc, guess they know nowt else but as a parent id not like that.

I did it aged 18 months.

Greenford to washy, ahead of my time.
We moved from a city to life in the countryside and I love it. I do miss easily going to gigs, but there are still pubs and restaurants. Every day though I look at the scenery and think how lucky I am to live here. How driving somewhere is actually a pleasure rather than a chore. Knowing the people in your local shops and services and feeling part of a community. Leaving your doors unlocked and not worrying about it. Plus getting into the outdoors. Riding, walking, swimming, dogging etc
Dirty basss.
There’s still some gems where the visitors don’t hit the normal day to day life even in the summer holidays.
The south coast is lovely and no where near as busy as the north
I though the south coast along Cornwall and Devonshire was supposed to be amazing...
Surely it’s got to be better than f***ing benwell and the like, I’m calling bullshit on that article.

Last edited:
I did it aged 18 months.

Greenford to washy, ahead of my time.

Dirty basss.

I though the south coast along Cornwall and Devonshire was supposed to be amazing...
Surely it’s got to be better than f***ing benwell and the like, I’m calling bullshit on that article.
It is lovely on the south coast but not thought of as highly as the north coast. You will struggle to match Gwithian near st ives anywhere in Europe but I like Whitsands bay near me. The rame peninsula is lovely with great water quality and easier parking too. I launch my boat out of either Looe or Penmarlem on the Fowey and I honestly think it’s as good as it gets

It is lovely on the south coast but not thought of as highly as the north coast. You will struggle to match Gwithian near st ives anywhere in Europe but I like Whitsands bay near me. The rame peninsula is lovely with great water quality and easier parking too. I launch my boat out of either Looe or Penmarlem on the Fowey and I honestly think it’s as good as it gets
Used to be a regular visitor to Gwithian Towans. Beautiful stretch of beach looking out to Godrevy lighthouse.

Back