'Escaping the madness': steep rise in Londoners moving to northern England

I’ve been down here since 1991 (and have been away since 1986) but I think the plan is to retire back up north, somewhere on the coast. Tynemouth maybe? Wor lass (no way) is a cockney and more keen on the move than me. I think I would miss London a fair bit but the overall quality of life considerations would make it worthwhile - especially as we get older.

Not surprised. Can get an old right to buy flat in my area for £500k in dingey block of flats. Just not even close to realistic money for many.

The word is out. Ah well. Not even married couples, both earning half decent wedges will be able to afford a place up here by 2030.
Why?

Oh you mean the influx will force Property prices up.
Neighbours kids all went down to London to work when they left university, one by one they’ve all returned when they’ve got married and kids have come along. Seems London is great for singles and newly weds but not for bringing up kids
That just isn't true. It is good to have a bolt hole in the country though.
My children did alright here.
The schools are much better now and there is just so much on all the time.

Last edited:
Neighbours kids all went down to London to work when they left university, one by one they’ve all returned when they’ve got married and kids have come along. Seems London is great for singles and newly weds but not for bringing up kids
Has anyone ever thought any different?
I may want to move out of London in a year or so....but I'm not sure where to yet. Apparantly you shouldn't move from a city to a village when you get old it should be the other way around. So if I was to move from a world city I need to get the village right.
You’ll be bored out of your nut.

Last edited:
That is what I'm a bit scared of...maybe I should just stay in London.

edit: but as I age, maybe walking around the countryside/beachfront might be all I need?
You need to find somewhere with all the cultural stuff London has but without the stabbing. Little villages don’t have cinemas, theatre, comedians, live music, sports events Etc. They barely have pubs, shops, P.O.s or buses these days.
I moved to zone 5 once*...........*shudders.....that was bad enough.

You need to find somewhere with all the cultural stuff London has but without the stabbing. Little villages don’t have cinemas, theatre, comedians, live music, sports events Etc. They barely have pubs, shops, P.O.s or buses these days.
I moved to zone 5 once*...........*shudders.....that was bad enough.

But once you get to retirement age, do you need all that? Just get booked up on National Holidays a few times a year.

Back