'Escaping the madness': steep rise in Londoners moving to northern England

Live just outside Leeds and there’s a few around here who work in London, fellow over road goes down Monday morning returning to family home on Thursday

Seriously it we would be interesting to see the ages of the emigres. I know the people featured in the article are youngish and of working age but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people leaving London were doing it once they'd made their cash and are nearing retirement buying cheaper (with the profits from a London house sake) or even 2nd properties in the North
Neighbours kids all went down to London to work when they left university, one by one they’ve all returned when they’ve got married and kids have come along. Seems London is great for singles and newly weds but not for bringing up kids

If you live in London and make a few quid and are with someone from the same neck of the woods as you are then it makes sense to move back when kids come along. Way more for your money, familiar with the area, family etc. And life much more chilled out.

I am doing the inverse; living in London and commuting north for the week. Got it the wrong way round.

I've been going the opposite way. Three breaks in London last year and two booked already this year.

I had 3 trips to London last year anarl. 2 of them were wembely
Seriously it we would be interesting to see the ages of the emigres. I know the people featured in the article are youngish and of working age but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people leaving London were doing it once they'd made their cash and are nearing retirement buying cheaper (with the profits from a London house sake) or even 2nd properties in the North

I read an article that stated that a lot of the migrants are in their 30's. This actually makes a lot of sense as it's the point when most start settling down with a family. London is just too unaffordable to do this. So the choice is move out to commuter belt & face 2 hour commutes are just move completely up north where the quality of life is so much better.

Last edited:
My nephew married a lass who's parents sold their house in London, bought a 4 bed house, out in the sticks by Worcester, set in approx 2 acres of land and still have over £200k spare from the deal. :eek:
That's always happened around Worcester since we moved here in mid 80s. They tend to either do as you've said and buy a house with land and paddock / stables in the surrounding villages or the big Georgian town houses around Britannia Square. Selling up a bog standard 3 bed semi in London would get you quite a decent property in Worcester and leave a tidy sum left over.

That's always happened around Worcester since we moved here in mid 80s. They tend to either do as you've said and buy a house with land and paddock / stables in the surrounding villages or the big Georgian town houses around Britannia Square. Selling up a bog standard 3 bed semi in London would get you quite a decent property in Worcester and leave a tidy sum left over.
Sell me Worcester.

Back