Error Message in Raw

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickb2112

Striker
I finally took the plunge and got myself a Canon 6D

I took my first gig photos and am pretty pleased with the results BUT when I go to open the Raw Files in Photoshop Elements 10 I get an error message that says: Cannot open .CR2 because it is the wrong file type.

It only happens when I try to open RAW shot from the 6D

I`ve gone back to a few I took on my 60D and the RAW files open fine

Any one any idea why this is happening??

It`s a bit frustrating as I think I had some decent photos that`d look even better after I`d edited them.

You're camera is newer than your editing software and PS Elements doesn't recognise the files. Adobe stopped doing updates for old software a while ago so you've basically got two options.

First is to upgrade to the latest version of PSE, which is up to version 14 now (or buy Lightroom), second is to download the free converter which changes the file type to DNG so your software can read the files.

Windows - http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Windows
Mac - http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Macintosh

You're camera is newer than your editing software and PS Elements doesn't recognise the files. Adobe stopped doing updates for old software a while ago so you've basically got two options.

First is to upgrade to the latest version of PSE, which is up to version 14 now (or buy Lightroom), second is to download the free converter which changes the file type to DNG so your software can read the files.

Windows - http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Windows
Mac - http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Macintosh
Cheers for that. I`ll try the download first and if that`s no good I`ll upgrade to Photoshop 14 as I`m familiar with that

Cheers for that. I`ll try the download first and if that`s no good I`ll upgrade to Photoshop 14 as I`m familiar with that

The download works. I had to use it when I has my 6D.

It adds another step to your workflow but it's easy enough and depending how many files you convert doesn't take long.

Tbh I'd jump to LR. It's much better than PSE if you ask me and a doddle to use.

The download works. I had to use it when I has my 6D.

It adds another step to your workflow but it's easy enough and depending how many files you convert doesn't take long.

Tbh I'd jump to LR. It's much better than PSE if you ask me and a doddle to use.
It worked for me. I think I`ll get something so I don`t have to go through the extra stage each time but this`ll do for now. Lightroom?? I`ve never really considered that before but I`ll check it out.
Thanks for the advice

It worked for me. I think I`ll get something so I don`t have to go through the extra stage each time but this`ll do for now. Lightroom?? I`ve never really considered that before but I`ll check it out.
Thanks for the advice
Lightroom is excellent IMO. Catalogues your images and editing is a piece of piss. Depending on how often you use it, you can get Adobe Creative Cloud which includes the latest versions of Lightroom and Photoshop for a monthly fee.

Lightroom is excellent IMO. Catalogues your images and editing is a piece of piss. Depending on how often you use it, you can get Adobe Creative Cloud which includes the latest versions of Lightroom and Photoshop for a monthly fee.
It's good for organising but awful for RAW's. The detail that capture one gets out of the same images is insane.

It's good for organising but awful for RAW's. The detail that capture one gets out of the same images is insane.
As an aside I cannot update my c1 to open cr2 files

Not sure why

The biggest advantage I've found from c1 to other raw converters are the colours

I think the detail must be the clever sharpening in the software, which I've always liked tbf

Is there anywhere online where there is a good comparison of RAW converters? It would be interesting to see what is achieved by the various offerings out there under controlled circumstances.

I use photoninja most of the time. Whether it is ultimately the best or not I don't know, but the default settings/algorithms work well so give me a quick workflow without having to tweak much!

Is there anywhere online where there is a good comparison of RAW converters? It would be interesting to see what is achieved by the various offerings out there under controlled circumstances.

I use photoninja most of the time. Whether it is ultimately the best or not I don't know, but the default settings/algorithms work well so give me a quick workflow without having to tweak much!
Yes, here, with all of us telling you C1 is great ;)

I will ask Tim Parkin at On Landscape to do an article sometime, he loves that kind of thing

F stoppers did this a while back, as ICBYD says, the colours in C1 blow Lightroom away

https://fstoppers.com/originals/lightroom-or-capture-one-pro-which-raw-processor-best-24769

C1 made ken look like a decent photographer, there can be no higher recommendation than that ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back