Eric Clapton

I saw him at City Hall in 77, the other guitarist George Terry played most of the lead until the encore ( Layla and Key To The Highway ) when Clapton let rip.
Ronnie Lane's Slim Chance supporting and Yvonne Elliman and Marcella Detroit on backing vocals.
Gigs were magical to me in those days and this was no exception.
I get bored at gigs these days.

Even Clapton didn't think he was the best around.

Was in awe of The Band. And broke up Cream because of that.
He was humble which added to his greatness imo.
Was crap compared to Jimi Hendrix

Tickets supposedly £120
Jh didn't have a.long career would have been interesting to see how well he'd have done once older. Clapton was best blues guitarists of his generation imo.

Last edited:
Sure he’s probably a good guitarist, but he’s a f***ing dickhead of a human being
Racist and paranoid mess of a man who plays absolutely boring music.
He was humble which added to his greatness imo.

Jh didn't have a.long career would have been interesting to see how well he'd have done once older. Clapton was best blues guitarists of his generation imo.
Will you be going at £120 a ticket?

His defence is he was pissed. £120 to go and see Jim Davidson with a guitar 😂
He was drinking a bottle of brandy a day and had a hardcore heroin habit.

I‘m guessing this may have had an influence on his judgement and his mouth.

That statement is completely unacceptable despite his drink and drug habit.

However, his heroes are all black, he has played with countless black musicians and described Muddy Waters as “the father I never had”

he has said he had no idea what came over him that night.

He supports West Brom. Now that is unforgivable.

Saw him at the City Hall in 1983, hung around waiting for returns on the day, great gig and a band with Albert Lee & Duck Dunn.

Saw him again around 85 at Birmingham NEC which was ok but Phil Collins on drums spoilt it.

He's a knacker whose opinions leave me cold. As a guitarist he can be indulgent, bloated and safe but at other times he plays with fire borne of genuine love of music and at times seems to be on an unending tour of tribute to someone else, recently Jeff Beck, but he held down the Concert for George and has encouraged and championed other guitarists. At his best his playing serves the song

The last record I bought of his was the live one with Wynton Marsalis which has some of his best playing for me, more varied and not on a Strat which can make him sound samey.

Back