Equal pay for female footballers?

Or maybe the men don't deserve to be paid as much they are?

That’s dictated by the market.

Professional football is a private business that generates huge profits and the players themselves are the main drivers behind those profits.

I agree that in the context of the role they play in society it’s mental how much they’re paid, but it isn’t to the detriment of wider society.

There also physically not as strong less skilled why should they get the same
This has got nowt to do with it though. The woman's game just doesn't create enough revenue to pay the lasses as much as the men, if it did they would get paid the same or more no matter what the physicality or skill level is.

FIFA have literally got billions of pounds stashed away in Swiss bank accounts. They could afford to level the prize money between the genders and not even notice a penny has gone.

Just because they can afford to, it doesn’t necessarily mean they should.

That’s dictated by the market.

Professional football is a private business that generates huge profits and the players themselves are the main drivers behind those profits.

I agree that in the context of the role they play in society it’s mental how much they’re paid, but it isn’t to the detriment of wider society.
Fair comment marra. I'm not sitting here banging a drum mind, I was just chucking that in there. Regardless of the pay argument one thing is apparent though, FIFA aren't putting money into the game at grass roots. Are they missing a massive opportunity? The women's game has come a long way in recent years and for all we know could be huge in 20-30 years. There's certainly 9lot more kids teams around now. They are in the unique position where they get to capitalise. I think it shows them for the archaic organisation we all know they are.

The standard is so bad.

If these multinationals want to throw the same money at the game as they do for the blokes game, then of course it should be equal pay. Back in the real world, where the womens world cup generates millions, compared to the mens one that makes billions, to pay them the same would be special treatment, not equality.

No amount of money will make the sport hugely popular the way it is. I actually feel bad for the goalkeepers, they always make howlers, but its just not their fault, they just arent cut out for massive sized goals. Smaller goals and shrink the pitch a bit and it might be more entertaining.

Equal prize money for competitions that attract fewer paying customers, fewer viewers on worldwide TV and thus attract way less sponsorship revenue?

Exactly this. I've got no issue with women footballers getting paid the same as men, but they can't do that until there is more money in the game. As it stands many women's teams struggle, if they had to pay £50k a week to their better players it would be totally unviable.

Equally tv money in the men's game is paid mainly because of the world wide exposure and the value of the advertising slots and the subscribers. If there's less people watching the women's game it'll generate less money.

They're actually already quite fortunate that many football clubs that have made money purely from the men's game are allowing them to operate as part of the club and use the facilities etc. On their own many women's teams couldn't yet exist.

By all means look at grass roots funding and ensure a fair portion is going towards the women's game to help build it, but any talk of equal pay and equal prize money is pie in the sky when the viewing figures and interest simply isn't there yet. They could set up a sports channel purely for women's football, that would let them see how many are prepared to pay for it, and money raised could go into the women's game. They won't do it however because hardly anyone would subscribe.

Women's football has come on leaps and bounds in recent years, keep developing it and raising interest and the money will come naturally, there's no shortcut to it. Or if they're really arsed, campaign to change the rules so men and women can compete on the same pitch, any woman good enough to sign for man city would get a massive wage. Unfortunately we all know the standard isn't yet good enough and most couldn't make a living from it, so not sure why the complaints

Football is a business first and foremost.

The best, and most profitable, businesses pay their best staff the best money to keep them and save them going to other businesses.

The woman’s game income isn’t anywhere near as much as the men’s game anyway, if they paid the same wages they’d be bust in weeks.

Absolutely bonkers people suggest they should get paid the same, because like it or not it’s two completely different lines of work.

Could make an argument at international level for parity but the only way to achieve it would be to have a combined tournament like in Tennis where the income is centralised and prize money can be distributed easily.

Be interesting to know how many people screaming for equal pay actually support the woman’s game? It’s a oversaturated market so asking someone who already goes to live matches regularly then watches league games on tv on a weekend and international/ European games midweek to then start following the woman’s game on top is a big ask.

Back