Epilim tablets and weight gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

salad dodger

Midfield
4 years, from 80kg to 120 kg. Broke a chair yesterday, starting to think seizures were less dangerous than risk of cracking my head or heart attack from being a fat git.

Anybody on here either managed to keep a reasonable weight or know someone who has when taking these evil pills.

Even after cutting down my dinosaur sized portions, cutting down the booze and walking everywhere I seem to have balanced out at 19 stone which is quite depressing. At 6'2" it doesn't look too bad but I can certainly feel it.

My intake is

Breakfast - 50g of allbran with skimmed milk.
Lunch - 2 sandwiches, so 4 slices of bread and usually tuna and sweetcorn filling.
Dinner - Chicken every night, 2 chicken breasts and with 3-400g of vegetables or 120g rice and curry sauce.

Alcohol - cut down to 10 pints a week

My exercise is
Walking my wife to work and pushing a pushchair - 1.5 mile each way. That is mon to fri.
Housework like hoovering everyday.
Walk into town 2/3 times a week 1 mile each way.
Treadmill had to stop as I am now too heavy to go on it.

Any ideas?

Cut down to 2 slices of bread and make it brown. Add some fruit or some nuts to dinner. Should fill you more.

Half portion of rice. 120g cooked if a fair bit. Also try to mix it up a bit. Jacket potato, lean turkey steaks etc.

Also, more exercise could be archieved. Yes your heavy but what about biking? Easy enough an minimal force put through joints. Swimming even? Take the mrs and kid?

Cut down to 2 slices of bread and make it brown. Add some fruit or some nuts to dinner. Should fill you more.

Half portion of rice. 120g cooked if a fair bit. Also try to mix it up a bit. Jacket potato, lean turkey steaks etc.

Also, more exercise could be archieved. Yes your heavy but what about biking? Easy enough an minimal force put through joints. Swimming even? Take the mrs and kid?

The portions are a work in progress, nowhere near as much as I used to eat but when I cut down too fast I felt so ill I ended up back on the kebabs in no time at all.

I do actually enjoy exercise, When I didn't weigh so much I used to walk all round durham and go on 80+ mile bike rides just for a look out. As I have got heavier exercise is less fun (usually get a grey fuzzy feeling) and the last bike I tried to ride I went 36 miles, destroyed the bike (due to being a fat git) and when I got home I actually had to eat 2 dinner plates full of pasta to stop feeling like I was going to die.

Swimming has potential though, may look into the price at the local baths.

And when you do walk by yourself, try to walk just that little bit faster.

You don't have to be doing Olympic-style speed walking, but a slow amble isn't going to burn many extra calories.

Aye, proper walking [or near abouts the same as] but not leasurely ambles.

I don't walk slowly, I am too impatient to do that :lol:

Without wanting to sound crude for the sake of it, since I have started eating bran I am now more regular than the town clock. Will this help me lose weight in the long run?

I don't walk slowly, I am too impatient to do that :lol:

Without wanting to sound crude for the sake of it, since I have started eating bran I am now more regular than the town clock. Will this help me lose weight in the long run?
I doubt it [unless you alter your eating habits due to your regularity], however it should reduce your chances of getting bowel cancer.

Edit: do you ever make your walks longer by going alternative routes, or even go for walks around the block for no particular reason?

Last edited:
I doubt it [unless you alter your eating habits due to your regularity], however it should reduce your chances of getting bowel cancer.

Edit: do you ever make your walks longer by going alternative routes, or even go for walks around the block for no particular reason?

No my walking is usually the exact same amount give or take 1 or 2 trips into town.

If I wasn't so unfit I would enjoy walking my dog again. He is a lurcher and my wife usually has to walk him as he he sets a fairly punishing pace when out. I start sweating profusely after about 15 mins with him but he needs at least an hour for his own needs.

Do the opposite to your username.

Being serious, eat less, exercise more, it's simple.

Do the opposite to your username.

Being serious, eat less, exercise more, it's simple.

It's not actually that simple. I am definitely responsible for some of the weight however the epilim tablets cause massive weight gain, that's not even a rare side effect. It is a given taking these tablets that I will put on a lot of weight, I started this thread hoping that there may be another epileptic on here on the 500mg epilim chrono that knows of a way to counteract this.

I do reckon if I could shift 3 stone I would be able to exercise easily and then keep my weight down myself. Trying to find an exercise that doesn't make me go dizzy is the goal. As someone mentioned swimming may be my best option.

It's not actually that simple. I am definitely responsible for some of the weight however the epilim tablets cause massive weight gain, that's not even a rare side effect. It is a given taking these tablets that I will put on a lot of weight, I started this thread hoping that there may be another epileptic on here on the 500mg epilim chrono that knows of a way to counteract this.

I do reckon if I could shift 3 stone I would be able to exercise easily and then keep my weight down myself. Trying to find an exercise that doesn't make me go dizzy is the goal. As someone mentioned swimming may be my best option.
Hmmm?

Just remember that it's easy to float on your back if you need to stop for a bit.

What effect do the tablets have that causes the weight gain?

What effect do the tablets have that causes the weight gain?

The active ingredient sodium valporate causes "impairment of fatty acid breakdown by the body and a resulting increase in insulin secretion"

That means absolutely nothing to me :confused: But that is the part linked to weight gain.

Another byproduct is an increased appetite which for someone who enjoys his kebabs and beer does not help. I have cut down portions although if you look at my original post maybe they aren't low enough just yet.

The active ingredient sodium valporate causes "impairment of fatty acid breakdown by the body and a resulting increase in insulin secretion"

That means absolutely nothing to me :confused: But that is the part linked to weight gain.

Another byproduct is an increased appetite which for someone who enjoys his kebabs and beer does not help. I have cut down portions although if you look at my original post maybe they aren't low enough just yet.

To be honest you're probably best off asking your doctor for advice if that's what the valporate causes then perhaps low carb would be a good idea. To be honest your portions do seem pretty large to me so there might be some room for further reduction there, especially if you're not able to exercise all that much.

To be honest you're probably best off asking your doctor for advice if that's what the valporate causes then perhaps low carb would be a good idea. To be honest your portions do seem pretty large to me so there might be some room for further reduction there, especially if you're not able to exercise all that much.

Kicking myself a bit though as I was warned before taking the tablets that I would have to keep to a balanced diet and exercise regular. Didn't take it too seriously but now I have gone past a certain point it's looking bleak.

I would go as far as to say I guarantee that if I could just get to the point of being able to exercise heavily I am motivated enough to do the rest. Just need to drop a bit fat, maybe a laxative diet might work :lol:

Kicking myself a bit though as I was warned before taking the tablets that I would have to keep to a balanced diet and exercise regular. Didn't take it too seriously but now I have gone past a certain point it's looking bleak.

I would go as far as to say I guarantee that if I could just get to the point of being able to exercise heavily I am motivated enough to do the rest. Just need to drop a bit fat, maybe a laxative diet might work :lol:

Sorting out your diet is probably easier than doing loads and loads of exercise. The tablets are stopping your body breaking down your stored fat and making you convert carbs into more fat. If you reduce the carbs (only have one sandwich at lunch, don't eat so much rice in the evening) that should be fairly easy to do. Unfortunately all the homebrew probably isn't helping you too much either!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back