EPC and Check engine light Seat Ibiza

aupaalaves

Striker
Any mechanics on here?

Had the timing belt changed on my seat Ibiza earlier this week and this morning the EPC and check engine light came on. Car wouldn't start until 10 minutes later and the lights went off.

Drove for about 15 minutes when started to get stalling sensation while changing to 4th gear. Managed to get to destination and parked but now lights have come back on and car won't start.

Any ideas? Could it be related to the timing belt replacement?

Cheers

Any mechanics on here?

Had the timing belt changed on my seat Ibiza earlier this week and this morning the EPC and check engine light came on. Car wouldn't start until 10 minutes later and the lights went off.

Drove for about 15 minutes when started to get stalling sensation while changing to 4th gear. Managed to get to destination and parked but now lights have come back on and car won't start.

Cheers

It's impossible to diagnose accurately without seeing the vehicle but an incorrectly installed timing belt can cause the engine management light to illuminate, can cause stalling and difficulty in starting.

I'm not familiar with the EPC system but I understand it is separate to the engine management circuit.

I would suggest you take the car back to the garage that did the timing belt work and ask them to have a look.

If you have breakdown cover then a call out would get you a second opinion and if it's not fixable, delivery of your car to the repairing garage.

Cheers mate.

Called the insurance company and they've sent someone out who thinks it's simply the battery. Anyway, got it up and running to get home.

Will take your advice and take it back to the garage on Tuesday that did the replacement and get them to take a look.

Cheers

Cheers mate.

Called the insurance company and they've sent someone out who thinks it's simply the battery. Anyway, got it up and running to get home.

Will take your advice and take it back to the garage on Tuesday that did the replacement and get them to take a look.

Cheers

Yes, a flat or failing battery can throw up all sorts of fault codes so that makes sense. A duff battery is relatively easy to diagnose so fingers crossed that's all it is.

I wouldn’t be driving the fucker in case the belt has gone personally

It's just been replaced.

Been reading up about it and seems a lot of seat ibizas have this problem and sometimes there isn't actually a problem.

A fault in the design according to some

Ask you husband to take a look
Come on then smart 4rse, what do you think it is?

It’s possible a sensor has been unplugged and not quite plugged in right and/or damaged while the belt was being fitted. Could also be total coincidence.

If the car drives fine when the light is off then I’d be confident it’s not going to be bad, certainly not an incorrectly installed timing belt. If it wasn’t timed right then it’d either not start or you’d know by the sound that something wasn’t right.

Come on then smart 4rse, what do you think it is?

It’s possible a sensor has been unplugged and not quite plugged in right and/or damaged while the belt was being fitted. Could also be total coincidence.

If the car drives fine when the light is off then I’d be confident it’s not going to be bad, certainly not an incorrectly installed timing belt. If it wasn’t timed right then it’d either not start or you’d know by the sound that something wasn’t right.

Depending upon the degree of error many engines will still start, run and sound ok with incorrectly timed camshaft/s.

The symptoms the op described could be as a result of a number of things but they are definitely consistent with an incorrectly fitted timing belt.

It's just been replaced.

Been reading up about it and seems a lot of seat ibizas have this problem and sometimes there isn't actually a problem.

A fault in the design according to some
Might not have been replaced correctly Marra that’s what I’m saying.

They might have put the wrong part on

Any mechanics on here?

Cheers
If the timing is out due to the belt being a tooth out could cause issues. If the eml lamp is on a diagnostic should shed some light on it.

Cheers for the replies people.

Just to give a little update.

When roadside assistance got the car up and running again, I drove home but found the car losing power at around 100kmph (live in Spain)

I'm starting to think it's definitely related to the timing nbel change as when I put the key in and turn it, the dashboard lights up and the headlights work. If it were a flat battery, neither would work would they?

I had a dead battery on my Dacia duster a few years ago and the dashboard lights flickered when I tried to start it up so it was clear it was the battery.

Anyway, will find out tomorrow.

Last edited:
Cheers for the replies people.

Just to give a little update.

When roadside assistance got the car up and running again, I drove home but found the car losing power at around 100kmph (live in Spain)

I'm starting to think it's definitely related to the timing nbel change as when I put the key in and turn it, the dashboard lights up and the headlights work. If it were a flat battery, neither would work would they?

I had a dead battery on my Dacia duster a few years ago and the dashboard lights flickered when I tried to start it up so it was clear it was the battery.

Anyway, will find out tomorrow.

How did you get on?

Back