Environment crisis

Every new house should be fitted with a ground or air source heat pump and solar panels by law.
That's already being sorted with.new regs requiring all new houses to net zero carbon (in operation) ready by 2025. Exactly how they do that will be up to the developers although it's likely to be by air source and PV rather than ground source heat pumps.
Vaillant are already building a new facility to churn out air source heat pumps as gas boilers are phased out.

Hasn't half the worlds top soil already been washed away or turned to dust and blown away in the past 150 years and at the present rate it will all be gone in 60 years time. Intensive agriculture is the cause, I'll say it again for the millionth time, cattle need to be out in fields eating grass not locked up inside eating grain.
Top soil is eroded when the ground is left without root systems to keep it in place. I agree with you on cattle

That's already being sorted with.new regs requiring all new houses to net zero carbon (in operation) ready by 2025. Exactly how they do that will be up to the developers although it's likely to be by air source and PV rather than ground source heat pumps.
Vaillant are already building a new facility to churn out air source heat pumps as gas boilers are phased out.
I hope their canteen only does lentil stew & gruel.

The houses should be built like that now. I've had my solar panels since 2014 but they should be built into the design.

Unless the largest ever secularisation of a state occurs, I don’t think the Hindu majority of India will start a mass consumption of cow meat anytime soon ;) Indonesia will unfortunately get what’s coming to it. They have barely any real inhabitable space to move people inland, there’s still too much rainforest inland that they’re determined to destroy for palm oil plantations.

We really need to change how we use the land, there has to be a reduction in intensified agriculture to try and allow some biodiversity to recover and flourish. In the West there needs to be a redesign in urban planning, particularly around areas where many live on a flood plain. The floods that happened here in Germany have been utterly devastating, I was on holiday in Bavaria last week when they hit and you can see how this could have been reduced if the planners of the past knew what we know now. Channelisation of rivers is so expensive, particularly to maintain, the river will always find a way to alter its course over time. When it breaks these artificial channels apart, the result is extra damage and costs to fix the mess. There is talk here about rethinking how we rebuild the destroyed houses. Of course, this is going to upset those that just want an exact replica built on the same spot, but we have to be smart. We need to reopen flood plains and allow the natural process to occur, particularly since evidence shows that it’s becoming more frequent in these areas (the record flood levels for the Saalach river in Bavaria have been broken in 2003, 2012 and 2021).

Apologies for the long post, I’m writing my master thesis about a similar topic so I’m kind of in the zone :lol:
When I read this this morning I was testing the water in a canalised section of the River Lea in Hertfordshire. I did a study of urban runoff in Los Angeles when I was at university. I agree it causes massive flood problems

The houses should be built like that now. I've had my solar panels since 2014 but they should be built into the design.
Agreed, but successive governments have been asleep with it, however they have finally woken up to the fact that 2050 isnt that far away and if we're going to hit the target by then we're already way behind where we need to be.
There's a step change underway and it'll see a huge change in housing, and all buildings, over the next five years.
That will still leave all of the existing building stock to deal with which is where the problems will lie.

For me in my idealistic world the government should nationalise the renewables industry and have manufacturing facilities built for air source heat pumps, PV panels and wind turbines. They should then have an installation division putting these things in place on new build and existing buildings, training up the lost generation to do something constructive rather than answering phones.
All manufacturing facilities to be north of Northampton.

It will take away our reliance on fossil fuels and the need to fight wars in far flung lands with black sticky stuff underground.

Cars will have solar panels built in, increasing their range, and there will be an extensive network of renewable powered charging points.

Agreed, but successive governments have been asleep with it, however they have finally woken up to the fact that 2050 isnt that far away and if we're going to hit the target by then we're already way behind where we need to be.
There's a step change underway and it'll see a huge change in housing, and all buildings, over the next five years.
That will still leave all of the existing building stock to deal with which is where the problems will lie.

For me in my idealistic world the government should nationalise the renewables industry and have manufacturing facilities built for air source heat pumps, PV panels and wind turbines. They should then have an installation division putting these things in place on new build and existing buildings, training up the lost generation to do something constructive rather than answering phones.
All manufacturing facilities to be north of Northampton.

It will take away our reliance on fossil fuels and the need to fight wars in far flung lands with black sticky stuff underground.

Cars will have solar panels built in, increasing their range, and there will be an extensive network of renewable powered charging points.
Good points which I fully agree with.
Another one I would throw in - remove child allowance and provide free uniforms and meals to all children in state schools. Meals to be sourced locally as much as possible and be nutritionally balanced.

All seems a bit late now. Scientists already suggesting by as close as 2040 it could start to fall apart
We will be fine. It will fall apart at the margin and then we will cut our cloth as we can. I doubt it will be the western developed countries who pay the price.
Wild animals and environment has paid the price. Next it will be foreigners as they have too much weather. We will be fine as it would be nice to have hotter summers and colder winters.

We will be fine. It will fall apart at the margin and then we will cut our cloth as we can. I doubt it will be the western developed countries who pay the price.
Wild animals and environment has paid the price. Next it will be foreigners as they have too much weather. We will be fine as it would be nice to have hotter summers and colder winters.

Climate change is probably one of the few things that being a wealthy Western country won’t influence. Even sea level rises alone will impact a number of major cities in the Western Hemisphere including the UK, US and Western Europe. People could move inland but large urban areas would have to be effectively deserted

Climate change is probably one of the few things that being a wealthy Western country won’t influence. Even sea level rises alone will impact a number of major cities in the Western Hemisphere including the UK, US and Western Europe. People could move inland but large urban areas would have to be effectively deserted
i think we are a long way off that. Our wealth and military will ensure we won't suffer in our lifetime. As usual it will be the poor who pay the price. Luckily we live in a wealthy country that has lots of big guns.

i think we are a long way off that. Our wealth and military will ensure we won't suffer in our lifetime. As usual it will be the poor who pay the price. Luckily we live in a wealthy country that has lots of big guns.

Ok, good luck with that mate - Hope those guns serve us well against the rising tides ;)

Ok, good luck with that mate - Hope those guns serve us well against the rising tides ;)

Last edited:
It's something i think about a lot. Leaves me doubting whether I'd want to bring a kid into the world - knowing that it's heading in a pretty bleak direction. I mean, I'll be long deed before it goes drastically wrong but it does sit at the back of my mind as to whether it's right. I'm also barely coping with two kittens who won't sleep at the moment, never mind a bairn :lol:

Back