Environment crisis

Ok, good luck with that mate - Hope those guns serve us well against the rising tides ;)

Ok, good luck with that mate - Hope those guns serve us well against the rising tides ;)

You can say that again.

I've got 25 years left 35 if i'm lucky. I don't think I have much to worry about.

Good points which I fully agree with.
Another one I would throw in - remove child allowance and provide free uniforms and meals to all children in state schools. Meals to be sourced locally as much as possible and be nutritionally balanced.
Good idea. Make sure the benefit goes to the child and not into the cigarette fund.

Nothing like an I’m alright Jack attitude
I have already changed my life to mitigate my impact on the world. I think the disaster has already happened and play no part in the exploitation of animals that has radically altered the world. We have only one car, it isn't possible for my wife to do her job without one, I walk everywhere possible, I will think carefully about travel and if going to europe will start taking trains. (I will have the luxury of time). I've stopped buying new clothes. i have far too many and want to wear what I have. luckily fashion isn't a large compnnent of my wardrobe :lol:

I'd like to know what else I can do.

I have fundamentally changed my view on the world in the last ten years. Books on rewilding and the damage big agriculture does to the world and will try and play no part in it. The rising tides is something that won't happen in my lifetime. That is my point. I have skin in the game as I have a child. I doubt she will be bothered about rising tides either.

• 1895 - Geologists Think theWorld May Be Frozen Up AgainNew York Times, February 1895
  • 1902 - “Disappearing Glaciers…deteriorating slowly, with a persistency that means their final annihilation…scientific fact…surely disappearing.” – Los Angeles Times
  • 1912 - Prof. Schmidt Warns Us of an Encroaching Ice AgeNew York Times, October 1912
  • 1923 - “Scientist says Arctic ice will wipe out Canada” – Professor Gregory of Yale University, American representative to the Pan-Pacific Science Congress, – Chicago Tribune
  • 1923 - “The discoveries of changes in the sun’s heat and the southward advance of glaciers in recent years have given rise to conjectures of the possible advent of a new ice age” – Washington Post
  • 1924 - MacMillan Reports Signs of New Ice AgeNew York Times, Sept 18, 1924
  • 1929 - “Most geologists think the world is growing warmer, and that it will continue to get warmer” – Los Angeles Times, in Is another ice age coming?
  • 1932 - “If these things be true, it is evident, therefore that we must be just teetering on an ice age” – The Atlantic magazine, This Cold, Cold World
  • 1933 - America in Longest Warm Spell Since 1776; Temperature Line Records a 25-Year RiseNew York Times, March 27th, 1933
  • 1933 – “…wide-spread and persistent tendency toward warmer weather…Is our climate changing?” – Federal Weather Bureau “Monthly Weather Review.”
  • 1938 - Global warming, caused by man heating the planet with carbon dioxide, “is likely to prove beneficial to mankind in several ways, besides the provision of heat and power.”– Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society
  • 1938 - “Experts puzzle over 20 year mercury rise…Chicago is in the front rank of thousands of cities thuout the world which have been affected by a mysterious trend toward warmer climate in the last two decades” – Chicago Tribune
  • 1939 - “Gaffers who claim that winters were harder when they were boys are quite right… weather men have no doubt that the world at least for the time being is growing warmer” – Washington Post
  • 1952 - “…we have learned that the world has been getting warmer in the last half century” – New York Times, August 10th, 1962
  • 1954 - “…winters are getting milder, summers drier. Glaciers are receding, deserts growing” – U.S. News and World Report
  • 1954 - Climate – the Heat May Be OffFortune Magazine
  • 1959 - “Arctic Findings in Particular Support Theory of Rising Global Temperatures” – New York Times
  • 1969 - “…the Arctic pack ice is thinning and that the ocean at the North Pole may become an open sea within a decade or two” – New York Times, February 20th, 1969
  • 1969 – “If I were a gambler, I would take even money that England will not exist in the year 2000″ — Paul Ehrlich (while he now predicts doom from global warming, this quote only gets honorable mention, as he was talking about his crazy fear of overpopulation)
  • 1970 - “…get a good grip on your long johns, cold weather haters – the worst may be yet to come…there’s no relief in sight” – Washington Post
  • 1974 - Global cooling for the past forty years – Time Magazine
  • 1974 - “Climatological Cassandras are becoming increasingly apprehensive, for the weather aberrations they are studying may be the harbinger of another ice age” –Washington Post
  • 1974 - “As for the present cooling trend a number of leading climatologists have concluded that it is very bad news indeed” – Fortune magazine, who won a Science Writing Award from the American Institute of Physics for its analysis of the danger
  • 1974 - “…the facts of the present climate change are such that the most optimistic experts would assign near certainty to major crop failure…mass deaths by starvation, and probably anarchy and violence” – New York Times
Cassandras are becoming increasingly apprehensive, for the weather aberrations they are studying may be the harbinger of another ice age

• 1975 - Scientists Ponder Why World’s Climate is Changing; A Major Cooling Widely Considered to Be InevitableNew York Times, May 21st, 1975
  • 1975 - “The threat of a new ice age must now stand alongside nuclear war as a likely source of wholesale death and misery for mankind” Nigel Calder, editor, New Scientist magazine, in an article in International Wildlife Magazine
  • 1976 - “Even U.S. farms may be hit by cooling trend” – U.S. News and World Report
  • 1981 - Global Warming – “of an almost unprecedented magnitude” – New York Times
  • 1988 - I would like to draw three main conclusions. Number one, the earth is warmer in 1988 than at any time in the history of instrumental measurements. Number two, the global warming is now large enough that we can ascribe with a high degree of confidence a cause and effect relationship to the greenhouse effect. And number three, our computer climate simulations indicate that thegreenhouse effect is already large enough to begin to effect the probability of extreme events such as summer heat waves. – Jim Hansen, June 1988 testimony before Congress, see His later quote andHis superior’s objection for context
  • 1989 -“On the one hand, as scientists we are ethically bound to the scientific method, in effect promising to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but – which means that we must include all doubts, the caveats, the ifs, ands and buts. On the other hand, we are not just scientists but human beings as well. And like most people we’d like to see the world a better place, which in this context translates into our working to reduce the risk of potentially disastrous climate change. To do that we need to get some broad based support, to capture the public’s imagination. That, of course, means getting loads of media coverage. So we have to offer up scary scenarios, make simplified, dramatic statements, and make little mention of any doubts we might have. This “double ethical bind” we frequently find ourselves in cannot be solved by any formula. Each of us has to decide what the right balance is between being effective and being honest. I hope that means being both.” – Stephen Schneider, lead author of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change,Discover magazine, October 1989
  • 1990 - “We’ve got to ride the global warming issue. Even if the theory of global warming is wrong, we will be doing the right thing – in terms of economic policy and environmental policy” – Senator Timothy Wirth
  • 1993 - “Global climate change may alter temperature and rainfall patterns, many scientists fear, with uncertain consequences for agriculture.” – U.S. News and World Report
  • 1998 - No matter if the science [of global warming] is all phony . . . climate change [provides] the greatest opportunity to bring about justice and equality in the world.” —Christine Stewart, Canadian Minister of the Environment, Calgary Herald, 1998
  • 2001 - “Scientists no longer doubt that global warming is happening, and almost nobody questions the fact that humans are at least partly responsible.” – Time Magazine, Monday, Apr. 09, 2001
  • 2003 - Emphasis on extreme scenarios may have been appropriate at one time, when the public and decision-makers were relatively unaware of the global warming issue, and energy sources such as “synfuels,” shale oil and tar sands were receiving strong consideration” – Jim Hansen, NASA Global Warming activist, Can we defuse The Global Warming Time Bomb?, 2003

2019: stroppy teenager Greta Thunberg - ‘how dare you’.

Just a puppet, one of many pushing the agenda.
I'll just pop this in here, it's well worth the short time it takes to read.

And a review of it by actual Scientists.

And a review of it by actual Scientists.

Ah, the old fact checkers, who funds them and who checks their facts?

Cows are a massive contributor, we need to eat more beef and bring the numbers down. I'm hoying a few burgers and steaks on the BBQ this evening, gotta drive those cattle numbers down.
Bit of a mis-understood issue this.
Cows are not the problem. "Feed Lots" are the problem.

Cows raised in sustainable pasture farming cause no issues whatsoever. In fact, they improve the land.
Dumping bags of "feed" onto mud-fields for drug-laden cows to eat are horrendous in every conceivable way.

Most of that isn't actually about fact checking. It's mostly about checking their reasoning and application of scientific method and principles.
Having read the list and checked a number of people on that list, they seem far more experienced and qualified than the six people calling those 500 experts liars, as @Market Where? Points out, a few worked in the oil and gas industry, I assume that's where they gained their knowledge and expertise? First-hand experience out in the field if you like,
Poynter’s journalist are funded by a group of very dubious people, people I wouldn't trust as far as I could blow them, fact-checkers work to an agenda, they know they are the first port of call for anyone looking for the truth, unfortunately, if anything goes against the narrative. It immediately becomes an untruth.

Having read the list and checked a number of people on that list, they seem far more experienced and qualified than the six people calling those 500 experts liars, as @Market Where? Points out, a few worked in the oil and gas industry, I assume that's where they gained their knowledge and expertise? First-hand experience out in the field if you like,
Poynter’s journalist are funded by a group of very dubious people, people I wouldn't trust as far as I could blow them, fact-checkers work to an agenda, they know they are the first port of call for anyone looking for the truth, unfortunately, if anything goes against the narrative. It immediately becomes an untruth.

Here you go, you can apply these 14,000 scientists in actual climate related specialities in the climate emergency camp.

Vs your 506, of which less then 30 were actually scientists in anything ecology related.

Are all of these 14k part of your conspiracy?

Thousands of scientists warn climate tipping points ‘imminent’

Will probably have already been said but unless there is some sort of population control put in place we could make all the changes in the world and it’ll make not a jot of difference IMO

Hasn’t it doubled in the last 50 years? So talking of 2050, under 30 years, it’s likely to be 12 billion ish. At a minimum.

Unsustainable whatever we done I reckon.

Also there will never be some kind of population control. So, in short, I think we are fucked
You can say that again.

I've got 25 years left 35 if i'm lucky. I don't think I have much to worry about.
I disagree. I reckon by 2040 and a population of 10/11 billion the world will really start to fall apart.

Last edited:
Here you go, you can apply these 14,000 scientists in actual climate related specialities in the climate emergency camp.

Vs your 506, of which less then 30 were actually scientists in anything ecology related.

Are all of these 14k part of your conspiracy?

Thousands of scientists warn climate tipping points ‘imminent’
Conspiracy :lol: you're the one wailing, The End Is Nigh. If the end Is nigh, then I suggest you get out there and enjoy your last days/years of life, because the earth will shake us from the surface and carry on as normal, once it's had enough of us, climate as always changed, but I doubt it's because people are eating to many beef burgers, they've had the technology to change the weather for decades, yet they rarely seem to use that technology for the benefit of the common man, as for overpopulation, birth rates are plummeting all over the world, at the rate they're falling, we won't have long to wait.

Conspiracy :lol: you're the one wailing, The End Is Nigh. If the end Is nigh, then I suggest you get out there and enjoy your last days/years of life, because the earth will shake us from the surface and carry on as normal, once it's had enough of us, climate as always changed, but I doubt it's because people are eating to many beef burgers, they've had the technology to change the weather for decades, yet they rarely seem to use that technology for the benefit of the common man, as for overpopulation, birth rates are plummeting all over the world, at the rate they're falling, we won't have long to wait.

Ive never denied the planet will be fine. Will be lifeforms impacted

I disagree. I reckon by 2040 and a population of 10/11 billion the world will really start to fall apart.
I think our guns and armies will keep me safe until I die.

population isn't likely to be 10/11 billion in 2040.
I agree with this but I think the earth has already been utterly trashed by us. The apocalypse has already happened for most other species and flora on the planet.

Whilst billionaires are sending up rockets up for their jollies no one can criticise anyone's choices.

Last edited:
I think our guns and armies will keep me safe until I die.

population isn't likely to be 10/11 billion in 2040.

I agree with this but I think the earth has already been utterly trashed by us. The apocalypse has already happened for most other species and flora on the planet.

Whilst billionaires are sending up rockets up for their jollies no one can criticise anyone's choices.
Why would it not be 10 billion or so in 19 years? Trajectory clearly takes it that way

and yet more lip service by the Government... this time copying the likes of Germany. who have been doing this for years.. and then having cheek by claiming they have a World First?! (I know its the Daily Mail but it includes quotes by Transport Secretary Grant Shapps) ... shame the photo is from stretch of motorway in Germany :lol:

Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said the Government was 'leading the way in the transition to zero-emission vehicles by becoming the first country in the world to commit to ending the sale of all new fossil-fuelled road vehicles by 2040'.

He added: 'From Doncaster to Scotland, by working in partnership with industry this funding will allow us to better understand the role of zero-emission HGVs, whilst boosting regional economies.'

and as for 2040... typical that a politician always promises things that are never delivered in their term of office! ... in other words, never going to happen, never going to be 'a first country in the World' to do or deliver on anything... but it sounds good to say this right now because they care! :rolleyes:

Back