Englands next ODI skipper

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHARLIE COROLE

Central Defender
In the interests of English cricket Andrew Strauss should retire from ODI cricket. The reasons are very simple. Firstly, AS needs to prolong his impressive leadership of the Test eleven , who are arguably on route to becoming the best side in the world. I am already looking forward to taking on India in the summer and spanking the Aussies when they return in 2013. Secondly, Strauss is not a good enough one day bat and Flower and co should invest time finding players who are not only good one day bats but are dynamic enough to take on the big boys when the chips are down.

So, England inevitably face a leadership issue in this format of the game . The question is who ? England need a captain who unlike AS will be selected on ability alone ( that rules out Cookie ) , someone who will not upset the team dynamic that a split captaincy can bring ( no KP ) an individual with bollocks of steel who the oppo respect ( forget Belly ) . The skipper needs to be respected by his peers and dynamic enough to play a competitive brand of cricket and galvanise the inevitale injection of youth into the group. That leaves Stuart Broad and Graeme Swann as the outstanding candidates. For me SB represents all that is good in the English ODI game and should get the nod. He presents as a competitive individual with an almost un English attitude and a leader of men, much the same as Graeme Smith. His appointment could have legs as with age on his side he could develop the skills to be competition to Cookie as next Test skipper and lead the side in all 3 formats. Time for change Geoff Miller and the ECB !

Last edited:

There's no other natural leaders in the ODI team then with Colly looking set to retire/be dropped. If anything, they should start playing Cook ODI's and give him the captaincy as a preparation for when he takes over at Test level too.

There's no other natural leaders in the ODI team then with Colly looking set to retire/be dropped. If anything, they should start playing Cook ODI's and give him the captaincy as a preparation for when he takes over at Test level too.

It will be Bopara then.....

In the interests of English cricket Andrew Strauss should retire from ODI cricket. The reasons are very simple. Firstly, AS needs to prolong his impressive leadership of the Test eleven , who are arguably on route to becoming the best side in the world. I am already looking forward to taking on India in the summer and spanking the Aussies when they return in 2013. Secondly, Strauss is not a good enough one day bat and Flower and co should invest time finding players who are not only good one day bats but are dynamic enough to take on the big boys when the chips are down.

So, England inevitably face a leadership issue in this format of the game . The question is who ? England need a captain who unlike AS will be selected on ability alone ( that rules out Cookie ) , someone who will not upset the team dynamic that a split captaincy can bring ( no KP ) an individual with bollocks of steel who the oppo respect ( forget Belly ) . The skipper needs to be respected by his peers and dynamic enough to play a competitive brand of cricket and galvanise the inevitale injection of youth into the group. That leaves Stuart Broad and Graeme Swann as the outstanding candidates. For me SB represents all that is good in the English ODI game and should get the nod. He presents as a competitive individual with an almost un English attitude and a leader of men, much the same as Graeme Smith. His appointment could have legs as with age on his side he could develop the skills to be competition to Cookie as next Test skipper and lead the side in all 3 formats. Time for change Geoff Miller and the ECB !

Is that the petulant SB who gets fined every series for throwing a strop?

Broad's not a bad shout, still young and slightly inexperienced I reckon though. I'd maybe give it to someone else for a couple years or leave Strauss with it and tell whoever is captain to start grooming Broad for the role for the future.

I'd go with Broad over Cook because I think he's a better shout for actually being in the team.

He's experimented a bit in the past, particularly at the end of innings, which hasn't always been successful but at least he's tried to be pro-active and aggressive. You need that in modern cricket.

My only problems would be that he seems to be injured quite a bit and he his conduct isn't always the best but maybe the captaincy would knock a bit of maturity into him.

mikemanc said:
I'd go with Broad over Cook because I think he's a better shout for actually being in the team.

He's experimented a bit in the past, particularly at the end of innings, which hasn't always been successful but at least he's tried to be pro-active and aggressive. You need that in modern cricket.

My only problems would be that he seems to be injured quite a bit and he his conduct isn't always the best but maybe the captaincy would knock a bit of maturity into him.

True, bit look at Wayne Rooney. If you take away his enthusiasm and aggression he's not the same player. I'd give it a year or two now, let him naturally mature like Roonaldo did. Be a fine future captain though, his passion is second to none.

True, bit look at Wayne Rooney. If you take away his enthusiasm and aggression he's not the same player. I'd give it a year or two now, let him naturally mature like Roonaldo did. Be a fine future captain though, his passion is second to none.

To continue with the Rooney analogy, my problem is the petulance. I've no problem with Rooney working hard, making tackles etc but you can see when he feels aggrieved (rightly or wrongly) and he's sprinting at somebody with the sole intention of flying into them.

Broad's seems to chip away at umpires, not appeal for lbws etc that gets him in to trouble.

mikemanc said:
To continue with the Rooney analogy, my problem is the petulance. I've no problem with Rooney working hard, making tackles etc but you can see when he feels aggrieved (rightly or wrongly) and he's sprinting at somebody with the sole intention of flying into them.

Broad's seems to chip away at umpires, not appeal for lbws etc that gets him in to trouble.

Which is why I reckon they need to give him a couple more years before giving the captaincy to him, let him mature a bit more and stamp that out his game a bit. Rooney is now a much more mature, respected player to when he was 21 or what ever who lunged in to tackles or caused arguments left, right and John Menash.

Which is why I reckon they need to give him a couple more years before giving the captaincy to him, let him mature a bit more and stamp that out his game a bit. Rooney is now a much more mature, respected player to when he was 21 or what ever who lunged in to tackles or caused arguments left, right and John Menash.

I don't think he is, I think you see him make stupid, petty challenges more often than ever these days, and his attitude and vitriol with refs hasn't changed at all.

Aye, the same SB who has bags of attitude to win like Nasser Hussain did.

True- but he has been injured a couple of times recently and then there is the old chestnuts "burnout on tour", "needs a rest"

It just won't work in today's climate.

ODI's after a test series abroad- none of the test players who feature in them are arsed one bit.

Last edited:
Rip Van Fish said:
True- but he has been injured a couple of times recently and then there is the old chestnuts "burnout on tour", "needs a rest"

It just won't work in today's climate.

ODI's after a test series abroad- none of the test players who feature in them are arsed one bit.

I hate that. Took the shine off the Ashes a bit and lead to a dismal World Cup display.

I hate that. Took the shine off the Ashes a bit and lead to a dismal World Cup display.

Whereas in 2005, when the ODIs were before the test series it built it up and the Ashes win was the climax to the summer. Much better that way round.

Whereas in 2005, when the ODIs were before the test series it built it up and the Ashes win was the climax to the summer. Much better that way round.

Yes, was the same in SA in 2009. 5 ODI's before the tests- and guess what- England won!

yep, we were there to witness the fckin shambles:

Pietersen- couldn't give a fuck
Bell- went through the motions
Prior- away with the fairies
Strauss- inconsistent
Anderson- fckin joke

Whereas players like Woakes and Shazhad did pretty well imho.

NWC300372 said:

Definitely. They do it that way round most years, make the ODIs a warm up for the Tests. Much better and probably end up seeing the best of both forms of the game rather than a good Test series and then one team not being arsed in the ODIs, and the other trying to make up for a shite Test campaign beforehand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back