England's next batting coach

Are Malan and Vince at the top of the county game? (Don't think they are). And if they are / were that would be representative of the lack of depth in quality bowling at county standard currently also
They're a long way off going by last year's averages. Ballance, Burns, Foulks would be better choices, going by last year's averages.

Being good at something and teaching others to be good at it are entirely different skill sets and very few people have both

They're a long way off going by last year's averages. Ballance, Burns, Foulks would be better choices, going by last year's averages.

How The fuck does Rory Burns never get a look in with England?

Are Malan and Vince at the top of the county game? (Don't think they are). And if they are / were that would be representative of the lack of depth in quality bowling at county standard currently also

Ballance, Jennings, Lyth, Robson etc - all players at the top of the county rankings when picked but have failed to make the step up. Vince and Malan have been good county players for a while, and involved with the Lions.

There are some good international bowlers in the county championship - Philander, Ashwin, Kyle Abbott, Mohammed Amir, Fidel Edwards, not to mention all the England bowlers. Just because they aren't facing up to Starc and Hazelwood on a weekly basis isn't any excuse for the sort of shit attempts to drive a ball off a good length delivery we've seen from the likes of Vince, or Ali failing to read the bounce, this just looks like poor preparation for the conditions which is 100% bowling coach responsibility.

Last edited:
People saying Di Venuto, but aside from Rocky (Test batsman), Sanga (one of the world's best) and Rory (who's just a freak), our batting last year was f***ing shambolic!

(For the record I'm not saying that's all at the door of MdV, but it hardly sells him as a Test batting coach).

People saying Di Venuto, but aside from Rocky (Test batsman), Sanga (one of the world's best) and Rory (who's just a freak), our batting last year was f***ing shambolic!

(For the record I'm not saying that's all at the door of MdV, but it hardly sells him as a Test batting coach).

Foakes and Roy averaged over 40.

Foakes and Roy averaged over 40.
Roy played about 2 FC games.
I'd forgotten about Foakes average, to be fair.

Our problems with the bat last season were strikingly similar to England's, though. Relied heavily on a couple of players, but once you got through them our tail really started at about number 6 - I think we had one innings all season where we "wagged", so to speak.

I'm just not sure that track record really screams for him being England batting coach.

How The fuck does Rory Burns never get a look in with England?

The hint was in the answer "going on last year's average" - as opposed to Vince and Malan

Rory Burns is a batsman of impressive consistency and unusual self-denial. He has a compact game, centred on his dexterity off his legs and his driving through the covers, and the patience to leave the ball copiously. He has been a model of consistency for Surrey, passing 1,000 first-class runs for four successive seasons between 2014-17. The respect he engenders within the camp has also been shown by the award of the vice captaincy.

KP absolutely not - untrustworthy and not liked.

Hick - Not for me - he struggled like Ramprakash with his mind and fast bowling. I always thought that when England played the stronger test teams it always seemed to be Peter Willey was picked instead of Hick.

Get Gooch back in

Peter Willey and Hick were different eras mate.

Back