England's next batting coach

You're kidding right? I know Surrey have a massive pot of money, so he'll probably on loads, but would he really turn down the opportunity to coach England. Pretty good for your CV that.

Not just the CV also the cash. I mean Surrey have money, sure. But the ECB have lots, lots, more.

Based on how well the batsmen of their teams have performed, while they've been batting coach?

I mean whatever next? We never saw Simon Grayson at training so we never knew how good he is? We see the results.

In other words, a poor player isn't as likely to be as good a technical coach as a good player, because they've already failed at raising their own game.

Again that’s nonsense. Two points. Firstly, Ramprakash was far from a poor player so that isn’t applicable in this case. Secondly, someone could be a very astute observer without the ability to put that observation into practice in their own game. It doesn’t mean they are failures.

Actually I’ll add another caveat. Graeme Smith, Shiv Chanderpaul and Steve Smith are three perfect examples of batsmen who would be considered far from being technically perfect. You wouldn’t want them to be coaching their methods to other players. But they are / were far from poor players

Last edited by a moderator:
Again that’s nonsense. Two points. Firstly, Ramprakash was far from a poor player so that isn’t applicable in this case. Secondly, someone could be a very astute observer without the ability to put that observation into practice in their own game. It doesn’t mean they are failures.

Actually I’ll add another caveat. Graeme Smith, Shiv Chanderpaul and Steve Smith are three perfect examples of batsmen who would be considered far from being technically perfect. You wouldn’t want them to be coaching their methods to other players. But they are / were far from poor players
How on Earth are you going to put your observations into practice for someone else if you can't do it for yourself?

And I didn't say Ramps was crap. But he had issues that were exposed at the highest level.

In other words, a poor player isn't as likely to be as good a technical coach as a good player, because they've already failed at raising their own game.
It doesn't work that way. Often a very good player is a poor coach .... because he has more talent than most and often can't understand how he can do things when others can't. Some of the best coaches have never been a very good 1st class player never mind at Tests. Goes for football as well as cricket and other sports too. The trick is to understand the techniques and to explain and communicate not necessarily being able to do it.

It doesn't work that way. Often a very good player is a poor coach .... because he has more talent than most and often can't understand how he can do things when others can't. Some of the best coaches have never been a very good 1st class player never mind at Tests. Goes for football as well as cricket and other sports too. The trick is to understand the techniques and to explain and communicate not necessarily being able to do it.
I didn't say anything at all about good players automatically being good coaches. Or for that matter less good players automatically.being poor coaches. I said its a balance of probability thing. As the number of technical coaches who are ex top players surely suggests.

Anyway, must rush - have to organise a piano teacher for the youngun. I'll pick someone who's never even seen a piano before, and let you know how she gets on. ;)

How on Earth are you going to put your observations into practice for someone else if you can't do it for yourself?

And I didn't say Ramps was crap. But he had issues that were exposed at the highest level.

Because that comes ultimately down to ability and sometimes the pressure of playing in a challenging environment.

I hope the next coach is excellent with a circular saw or a plane so he can either take the edges off Vinces bat or just cut it in half

KP absolutely not - untrustworthy and not liked.

Hick - Not for me - he struggled like Ramprakash with his mind and fast bowling. I always thought that when England played the stronger test teams it always seemed to be Peter Willey was picked instead of Hick.

Get Gooch back in
Peter Willey who played his last test 5 years before Hick played his first test? That Peter Willey?

KP absolutely not - untrustworthy and not liked.

Hick - Not for me - he struggled like Ramprakash with his mind and fast bowling. I always thought that when England played the stronger test teams it always seemed to be Peter Willey was picked instead of Hick.

Get Gooch back in

Peter Willey was usually a replacement for Derek Randall IIRC

They're all capable batsmen, at the top of the county game. Its up to our coaches to help them develop the temperament for international cricket.

Another collapse today.

Are Malan and Vince at the top of the county game? (Don't think they are). And if they are / were that would be representative of the lack of depth in quality bowling at county standard currently also

Back