England's 30 Poorest Areas Ranked

Having now read the article, I’m utterly shocked that the combined wealth and income of us successful folk on the SMB do not pull Sunderland out of the mire.

I wonder what the correlation is with brexit voting?

It’s not a dig, just a question before someone dives in. I can understand why people vote against an unfair “establishment”

Quite easy to find out no doubt and a very good call.

Surprised that Boro is only seventh.

Seriously, you have to say that, for the most part, that article had used some pretty decent pictures of the likes of Sunderland, Nottingham, Liverpool and Shields, which paint them all in a canny light.

And then you get to West Bromwich...

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:
I think you already know the answer to that.

The irony being that they’re also the ones in receipt of the highest amount of EU funding and investment.

Mapped: Where in the UK receives most EU funding and how does this compare with the rest of Europe?

I don’t know where the rest of the money goes but the article says the U.K. received 10.9 billion for a 7 year period (2014-2020) but we contributed 13 billion to the EU in 2015 alone. The 10.9 billion equates to 170 Euro per person.

I don’t know where the rest of the money goes but the article says the U.K. received 10.9 billion for a 7 year period (2014-2020) but we contributed 13 billion to the EU in 2015 alone. The 10.9 billion equates to 170 Euro per person.

What’s that got to do with where the money goes? Did you specifically receive 170 Euros or did the money go to areas that are classed as the ones most in need of development and investment? Given that the north east is getting £437 million of it are you saying it should go somewhere else? Or are you suggesting that what was the 4th largest economy (now 7th after the Brexit vote) should be able to provide for the worst off areas without having to resort to EU investment?

What’s that got to do with where the money goes? Did you specifically receive 170 Euros or did the money go to areas that are classed as the ones most in need of development and investment? Given that the north east is getting £437 million of it are you saying it should go somewhere else?

My point is that even though we are allegedly getting more funding up here, it isn’t very much in the grand scheme and the development fund is a very small % of the total we give. 170 euros per head is what your article says we receive.

My point is that even though we are allegedly getting more funding up here, it isn’t very much in the grand scheme and the development fund is a very small % of the total we give. 170 euros per head is what your article says we receive.

So you think that someone earning say £500,000 a year in London should receive the same level of EU investment as someone living in, say, Sunderland where the unemployment rate is the second highest in the country?

Or do you think that any investment should be targeted at the poorest areas. You know, as it already is.

And as for the £437 million investment, there’s around half a million people in the two biggest north east cities. Bit more than 170 Euros a head. Bit don’t let facts ruin anything :lol:

European Funding | North East LEP

Back