England v Pakistan 3rd T20 Skysports Cricket 6pm start

Would have Banton in my first choice side, young fearless and very talented cricketer.

instead of who though?

Buttler and Bairstow are a lot better, only Roy who is canny hit n miss in T20 but I aint dropping him

Buttler
Roy
Bairstow
Morgan
Stokes
Ali

I guess actually there is room for another batsman in

if you pick 3 seamers, Wood, Archer and another,

And Rashid

You dont need another bowler, but could get in that way, but will he be as good coming it at 5?

For me the major cock up here is Buttler has to be further down in the floating role, him and Stokes are our finishers, you could get Banton in at 3 then, but You need Root in India 100%

great options like in the batting
I agree with your 11 but would still have Buttler further down as well. Malan 3 then whatever you want with Morgan, stokes and Buttler - maybe even be flexible with left/right hand and who fancies which bowlers etc.

I’d really want root in but can’t see how. Only option is to drop Malan, which I wouldn’t have a problem doing on visuals, but his stats are exemplary. 7 50s and a 100 in 13 games is it?

If you are going off stats, Malan averages around 50, 7 50s and a 100 already, only played 13 games. But just watching them play, I think most would prefer root in the side. It’s a tough choice, but always good to have options

No doubt Malan has been excellent like, and he is first reserve, but a world cup in India, Root plays, he is just a better player in every way and in every format

Steve Smith's reaction to him not being in the squad says a lot

I've agreed with 99% of things England, and Morgan has done over the years, but they are getting this one badly wrong

the lad is one of the best players in the world and would play in every single other team in every format
I personaly think they are just overthinking it and trying to be too clever for their own good

Last edited:

instead of who though?

Buttler and Bairstow are a lot better, only Roy who is canny hit n miss in T20 but I aint dropping him

Buttler
Roy
Bairstow
Morgan
Stokes
Ali

And Rashid

You dont need another bowler, but could get in that way, but will he be as good coming it at 5?

For me the major cock up here is Buttler has to be further down in the floating role, him and Stokes are our finishers, you could get Banton in at 3 then, but You need Root in India 100%

No doubt Malan has been excellent like, and he is first reserve, but a world cup in India, Root plays, he is just a better player in every way and in every format

I've agreed with 99% of things England, and Morgan has done over the years, but they are getting this one badly wrong

the lad is one of the best players in the world and would play in every single other team in every format
I personaly think they are just overthinking it and trying to be too clever for their own good

Agree with your post and you make some great points. I’m not sure you can get Banton in at 3 and have root though, then you’d need stokes 7, Buttler 6, morgan 5, or some variant, which is too low. I really do hope they don’t persist with Buttler opening and move him back down, we’ve already got a very good selection of openers so don’t need Buttler there, and we don’t have the finishers, which is where we would benefit more from having Jos.

instead of who though?

Buttler
Roy
Bairstow
Morgan
Stokes
Ali

And Rashid

Completely agree. Malan is a good player, but Root is just a different class and like you say in India he’ll be perfect to have at number 3. From what I’ve seen of Malan he tends to start quite slowly and I think he’s a better player of pace rather than spin which again counts against him.

As good as Banton is there’s just no space for him in the team. Maybe if Roy or YJB completely lose form but he’s definitely a reserve to the first team at the minute.

instead of who though?

Buttler
Roy
Bairstow
Morgan
Stokes
Ali

And Rashid

Me personally I would go with:

Roy
Banton
Bairstow
Morgan
Stokes
Buttler

Very exciting front 6, meaning Root and Malan missing out, both them done nothing wrong and both fine T20 batsman, just think them other 6 more destructive.

instead of who though?

Buttler
Roy
Bairstow
Morgan
Stokes
Ali

And Rashid

Bairstow, Roy, Root, Morgan, Stokes, Buttler as your top 6 and just let Root float about as required by the timing of wickets falling. Banton unfortunate to sit on the sidelines for now but for me none of that 6 have done anything to be dropped.

Bairstow, Roy, Root, Morgan, Stokes, Buttler as your top 6 and just let Root float about as required by the timing of wickets falling. Banton unfortunate to sit on the sidelines for now but for me none of that 6 have done anything to be dropped.
Stokes top score only 47

Not yet but you have to score at some stage
Need him in as a bowling option in the top 6 and he often comes in late. Coming in after Roy, Bairstow, Morgan, Hales and sometimes Buttler over the last few years how often has he had time to play a big innings? We know he has the ability and the character, I'd still play him. My post was about ODIs but I think what I've said applies in T20 too.

I think the Stokes argument, is a classic example that stats don’t tell you everything or in Stokes case not much at all.

His T20 international stats are obviously nowt flash, but with Stokes you can’t just look at them isolatation.

He has clearly performed in the IPL, against the best bowling talent in the world, he clearly has the big shots and the array of shots, he clearly is a big match player.

I would not doubt his place for one second.
I would find space for Banton instead of Root, there is a very good argument that nobody deserves to be dropped, but I don’t see it that way.

Sometimes such natrually talented players come along in sport, that they just force they way in, and it may be tough to drop someone but hey you need that player in your side.

Last edited:

Back