England v Australia 1st T20 - 18:00 Sky Sports

Really don’t get the obsession with Buttler opening. Fair enough he will do a good job there no doubt, but when we don’t have the middle order hitting he needs to be in at 5 or 6, especially with Banton starting to come good.
Because it's only 20 overs so we don't want Buttler wasted only facing two of them. Which is fine in T20 but he should still be middle order in 50 overs.

Because it's only 20 overs so we don't want Buttler wasted only facing two of them. Which is fine in T20 but he should still be middle order in 50 overs.
I do get that, but when it means you have Billings in the middle order instead of Banton opening the batting it means we’re weaker overall. If we have the likes of Stokes and Root back in the team then we can probably do it, but not without them imo.

Really don’t get the obsession with Buttler opening. Fair enough he will do a good job there no doubt, but when we don’t have the middle order hitting he needs to be in at 5 or 6, especially with Banton starting to come good.

Aye exactly, and by opening with Buttler it means we have nobody to play in middle order, hence we play people like Billings

very strange

Yeah but that works both ways, if he gets out early we end up with the likes of Billings facing more balls

we have better openers than Buttler, he is one of the best finishers in the world

Him, Morgan an Stokes are perfect in there

Last edited:
Aye exactly, and by opening with Buttler it means we have nobody to play in middle order, hence we play people like Billings

very strange

Yeah but that works both ways, if he gets out early we end up with the likes of Billings facing more balls

we have better openers than Buttler, he is one of the best finishers in the world

Him, Morgan an Stokes are perfect in there
Response to @Dexter too, if we have Bairstow, Buttler, Banton, Morgan, Malan/Stokes as our top 5 (and Roy around there too) I'm not going to worry too much about how many balls the no 6 is facing (in T20). If he faces a lot of deliveries we're in trouble regardless.

Response to @Dexter too, if we have Bairstow, Buttler, Banton, Morgan, Malan/Stokes as our top 5 (and Roy around there too) I'm not going to worry too much about how many balls the no 6 is facing (in T20)

But T20 is fine margins, and you essentially have a passenger in the side who doesnt deserve to be there,

remember when Roy is fit, Banton won't play

But T20 is fine margins, and you essentially have a passenger in the side who doesnt deserve to be there,

I know, I meant the 7 players I named would be the top 5 and I'd trust them to face the bulk of the innings. If you've got a passenger in the side the problem is the passenger, not where Buttler is batting.

Yeah would be very surprised if they ever opened with Buttler in 50 overs.

I hope not as Banton will be fantastic T20 player, really disappointing that looks like he not opening today.

Then again looking at the positives really good that we have discussions about leaving quality players out of the side.

Shows how strong our batting order is.

Last edited:
I know, I meant the 7 players I named would be the top 5 and I'd trust them to face the bulk of the innings. If you've got a passenger in the side the problem is the passenger, not where Buttler is batting.

They aren't 2 seperate points though, directly related. If Buttler opens than we have to play one of our weaker players in the middle order, if he plays in his natural position we have a much better play opening

Its weakening the side for me

no doubt Buttler will score runs there, probs score a ton tonight, but its whether that compensates for lack of runs from Billings, who isnt international quality lets be honest
Yeah would be very surprised if they ever opened with Buttler in 50 overs.

I hope not as Banton will be fantastic T20 player, really disappointing that looks like he not opening today.

Then again looking at the positives really good that we have discussions about leaving quality players out of the side.

Shows how strong our batting order is.

Still think we have better plays in the top 3 than Banton personally, looks a talent though and would like to see him play this series considering Roy is injured and Root has inexplicably been left out

Last edited:
They aren't 2 seperate points though, directly related. If Buttler opens than we have to play one of our weaker players in the middle order, if he plays in his natural position we have a much better play opening

Its weakening the side for me

no doubt Buttler will score runs there, probs score a ton tonight, but its whether that compensates for lack of runs from Billings, who isnt international quality lets be honest

Still think we have better plays in the top 3 than Banton personally, looks a talent though and would like to see him play this series considering Roy is injured and Root has inexplicably been left out
Well yeah, I wouldn't pick Billings but I'd still open with Buttler or have him 3 today (with Banton/Bairstow combo)

Really hope it pays off but I dont agree with Buttler opening. Get Buttler out within the first 10 overs and it hands a big advantage to the opposition

Back