England Squad Announcement for Montenegro/Kosovo

• Thread starter Deleted member 26022
  • Start date
I quite like Winks tbh. Grealish should be in squad imo, but for Delph. Maddison, Henderson, Ox Chamberlain would be our strongest midfield 3 imo.

Maddison with more goals from outside the box. Grealish has 1 in an inferior league.

I also suspect Grealish has fewer goals and assists this season too.
Of those seven, at a guess five will be free kicks? Again guessing that will mean Maddison has a conversion rate of around 1-in-8. Which is very good, but if look up how many free kicks within a shooting range England got in the last world cup, presuming Maddison can transfer his club metrics to the national side and he'd probably add 1.5 goals maximum.

When you take into account that englands only defeat in qualifying football came after trying to shoehorn a number 10 into the side, you've got to ask yourself, would that extra 1.5 goal over the course of a tournament be worth it.

I could go on to say how you don't really want midfielder who take low value shots anyway and any success is usually unsustainable. It would be like reverting to England of old with unimaginative pot shots from distance.

England have 3 of the best forward players in the world, why on earth would you want a midfielder in behind them shooting from distance?

Back