England Squad Announcement for Montenegro/Kosovo

• Thread starter Deleted member 26022
  • Start date
England really need a top class holding midfielder. Hopefully someone can can come through from somewhere this season.

I dont think he is THE best , but one of the best . I've seen kante have plenty of quiet games, although I'd prefer him to henderson probably. I'd have hendo over winks and I don't think we need both personally. In a starting 11 anyway. Winks will be canny in the euro 2020 squad

Well yeah over Winks fair enough, but not one of the best in Europe.
Pretty sure being one of the best means that he is in a group of players who excel in the role, not the best at it necessarily.

Yeah I understand the concept but don’t in top group of European players.

Last edited:
He is better than easily better than Mount and Barkley. And probably more effective than maddison.
Grealish is magnificent but he needs to add more goals to his game. His ball retention is amazing. It’s like a magnet, he never loses it.

Mason Mount is performing in the Champions League ffs.

Grealish is getting outshone by Mcginn
So we should only pick players if the clubs they play for are in the champions league?

Look a 20 year grealish might not have been as good as mount is now, but the 4 years extra experience he has means he's miles ahead in terms of development.

The way grealish works in the half space is unparalleled compared to any other England player. Grealish also has a way of dictating tempo that I'm not sure if I've seen before from an English player in my lifetime. You're right McGinn outshines him with some great goals, but all facets of villa play go through Grealish. He is by far their most important player. I'd also say the space he creates makes others look a lot better players.

Grealish is also a much more rounded midfielder. Take his and Mounts respective games against Norwich. Chelsea won 3-2 and villa dominated from the outset winning 5-1, yet grealish still had twice as many touches in his own half as mount.

It doesn't really matter who you think looks best on the edge of tye oppositions box on match of the day because England don't need that player. England don't operate well with a 10, but they also lack creativity from a midfield three. Grealish would be the perfect 8/10 hybrid to solve the problem.
He’s not better than Mount
He is. Mount might be better than Grealish at Grealishs age, but right now Grealish is ahead.

Last edited:
Winks has looked decent for england to be fair and there aren’t many conventional midfield options

Grealish misses out because attacking midfield we have better options

its not rocket science
Imo Winks has to start if England are going to keep the same formation and try to play possession football. We don’t have anyone else who plays that kind of deep pivot role well, Rice certainly doesn’t.

Grealish is magnificent but he needs to add more goals to his game. His ball retention is amazing. It’s like a magnet, he never loses it.
I'm not really sure if he does when you consider the amount of chances he creates for others. This is my argument for for his inclusion over mount and maddison. Mount and Maddison may score a worldie every now and again, but kane, sterling, sancho or whoever else was playing is a forward three would have far more opportunities with Grealish in the side.
Grealish should be in the side imo. He offers more than Winks.
Different player to winks tbf.

Last edited:
I'm not really sure if he does when you consider the amount of chances he creates for others. This is my argument for for his inclusion over mount and maddison. Mount and Maddison may score a worldie every now and again, but kane, sterling, sancho or whoever else was playing is a forward three would have far more opportunities with Grealish in the side.

Different player to winks tbf.

I know, that's why I'd have him in for Winks.

def mid is easily our weakest position.

Option is Hendo, Winks or Rice to sit back and although the first two are capable, they don't compare to the other positions we have. So many decent attacking options though.

I know, that's why I'd have him in for Winks.
He could replace winks as a shuttler but I'd have winks in the pivot and then Grealish and Henderson or Barkley as the shuttlers in the three.
def mid is easily our weakest position.

Option is Hendo, Winks or Rice to sit back and although the first two are capable, they don't compare to the other positions we have. So many decent attacking options though.
I'm surprised Rice is in this squad tbh. His form has been pretty cold since before the last internationals.

Last edited:
He could replace winks as a shuttler but I'd have winks in the pivot and then Grealish and Henderson or Barkley as the shuttlers in the three.

I'm surprised Rice is in this squad tbh. His form has been pretty cold since before the last internationals.

We have too many defensive midfielders imo.

We have too many defensive midfielders imo.
We don't really have any out and out defensive midfielders. We have players who can play the holding role like Henderson, winks and Rice but their primary objective is recycling the ball, not defensive duties. I guess you could say Dier is a defensive midfielder but he's been off the boil for a while. We have plenty of midfielders who lack creativity but that doesn't mean they're defensive.

We don't really have any out and out defensive midfielders. We have players who can play the holding role like Henderson, winks and Rice but their primary objective is recycling the ball, not defensive duties. I guess you could say Dier is a defensive midfielder but he's been off the boil for a while. We have plenty of midfielders who lack creativity but that doesn't mean they're defensive.

Ha'way mate, they're quite defensive, they love a sideward pass. Grealish is much more direct, more entertaining to watch imo.

Ha'way mate, they're quite defensive, they love a sideward pass. Grealish is much more direct, more entertaining to watch imo.
We're basically agreeing but using a different lexicon. I have a midfielder whose primary objective is breaking up play and adding cover for the defense as a defensive midfielder. What you have down as defensive midfielder is a pivot player, whose primary objective is ball retention.

Grealish is much more direct and much more entertaining to watch but you can't replace the pivot player of a midfielder three with Jack Grealish.

So we should only pick players if the clubs they play for are in the champions league?

Look a 20 year grealish might not have been as good as mount is now, but the 4 years extra experience he has means he's miles ahead in terms of development.

The way grealish works in the half space is unparalleled compared to any other England player. Grealish also has a way of dictating tempo that I'm not sure if I've seen before from an English player in my lifetime. You're right McGinn outshines him with some great goals, but all facets of villa play go through Grealish. He is by far their most important player. I'd also say the space he creates makes others look a lot better players.

Grealish is also a much more rounded midfielder. Take his and Mounts respective games against Norwich. Chelsea won 3-2 and villa dominated from the outset winning 5-1, yet grealish still had twice as many touches in his own half as mount.

It doesn't really matter who you think looks best on the edge of tye oppositions box on match of the day because England don't need that player. England don't operate well with a 10, but they also lack creativity from a midfield three. Grealish would be the perfect 8/10 hybrid to solve the problem.

He is. Mount might be better than Grealish at Grealishs age, but right now Grealish is ahead.
Great post
Put me in the camp for Grealish to start

Back