England Squad Announcement for Montenegro/Kosovo

• Thread starter Deleted member 26022
  • Start date

Winks has looked decent for england to be fair and there aren’t many conventional midfield options

Grealish misses out because attacking midfield we have better options

its not rocket science
He is better than easily better than Mount and Barkley. And probably more effective than maddison.

Winks has looked decent for england to be fair and there aren’t many conventional midfield options

Grealish misses out because attacking midfield we have better options

its not rocket science
Disagree with the 3rd bit as rocket science is actually a fairy simple theory considering it comprises of forced air, fuel, ignition and a set of fans in a barrel. I'd give Grealish a chance.

Realise Trippier is playing well and TAA is exciting (positionally not great for a full back) but Walker is still the best English full back imo and isn’t in the squad.

Remember the first time he was left out and Southgate said he wanted a look at Wan-Bissaka? Well now he’s not here either and he’s not included still...

They might have had a falling out?

Each to their own but i think Winks it a good job in the last game, kept the ball really well, helped out in defence when he was needed, not a fancy dan like Mount and Maddison but did alright.

I dont think hes a bad player, I'm just using the context of us getting to the WC semi final last year and what might be needed to improve on that (wishful thinking but worth debating). I though the one player we were missing was a world class creative and forward thinking midfielder to play further forward of Henderson. Hopefully maddison or mount can develop into that player. I don't watch vast amounts of premier league so only commenting on what I've seen of them a few games there and for england
winks is very good at sitting deep and recycling possession. Something none of our other midfielders can do and totally essential for the international game

always makes me chuckle when people people without a football brain question his ability

Makes me chuckle when people try to be condescending and make themselves out to be a football intellectual, when they miss the point that Henderson does exactly that, and better than winks.

People love to claim they like certain unfashionable players because they 'understand football' and see what other fans dont see in a player blah blah blah everyone used to say it about henderson that much that its universally now accepted that he is just one of the best in europe at that role

Last edited:
I dont think hes a bad player, I'm just using the context of us getting to the WC semi final last year and what might be needed to improve on that (wishful thinking but worth debating). I though the one player we were missing was a world class creative and forward thinking midfielder to play further forward of Henderson. Hopefully maddison or mount can develop into that player. I don't watch vast amounts of premier league so only commenting on what I've seen of them a few games there and for england

It could also be said, that sometimes forward thinking isn't the right way to go, sometimes you need to consider clearing your lines, and given that the previous qualification games, we let in a few goals, and in the last game with him playing we keep a clean sheet and scored 6 goals, i know they weren't a threat to us, but still got to play the game i suppose, when it comes to the euros the abliity to have lots of different plans and ideas, may come in very handy.

Makes me chuckle when people try to be condescending and make themselves out to be a football intellectual, when they miss the point that Henderson does exactly that, and better than winks.

People love to claim they like certain unfashionable players because they 'understand football' and see what other fans dont see in a player blah blah blah everyone used to say it about henderson that much that its universally now accepted that he is just one of the best in europe at that role

I don’t think Henderson one of the best in Europe in no shape or form, for example would have Kante over him no doubt at all.

I don’t think Henderson one of the best in Europe in no shape or form, for example would have Kante over him no doubt at all.

I dont think he is THE best , but one of the best . I've seen kante have plenty of quiet games, although I'd prefer him to henderson probably. I'd have hendo over winks and I don't think we need both personally. In a starting 11 anyway. Winks will be canny in the euro 2020 squad

Back