England Performance Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twisted

Striker
Performance Programme Andrew Strauss,* James Anderson* Ian Bell*, Ravi Bopara+ Tim Bresnan+, Stuart Broad* Paul Collingwood *, Alastair Cook *, Steven Davies, Jade Dernbach, Steven Finn* Craig Kieswetter, Eoin Morgan+Graham Onions, Monty Panesar, Kevin Pietersen* Liam Plunkett, Matt Prior *, Adil Rashid, Ajmal Shahzad, Graeme Swann* James Tredwell, Chris Tremlett+, Jonathon Trott* Chris Woakes, Luke Wright+, Michael Yardy+.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/story/508567.html

Do they usually include 3 wicketkeepers?

Suggests to me that Prior (thankfully) isn't going to play much one day cricket

What exactly is this performance squad exactly?

It was announced and I expected a load of fringe players but it just looks like the first XI and some squad players anarl. The likes of Yardy and Wright being in anything called performance makes me laugh as well.

What exactly is this performance squad exactly?

It was announced and I expected a load of fringe players but it just looks like the first XI and some squad players anarl. The likes of Yardy and Wright being in anything called performance makes me laugh as well.

it explains it all in the link.

i agree about yardy & wright though ;)

think theyre very much un decided about wicketkeepers..

Aren't the central contracts reviewed before the start of each season though?.

i coudlnt remember, i can see him dropping down to an incremental one, which will be another big hit for durhams wage bill - i suppose theres a chance that onions will be picked up again incrementally, but thats the two of them chucked back onto our payroll over teh last year, obviously big steve before them...

i coudlnt remember, i can see him dropping down to an incremental one, which will be another big hit for durhams wage bill - i suppose theres a chance that onions will be picked up again incrementally, but thats the two of them chucked back onto our payroll over teh last year, obviously big steve before them...

There's no point in the ECB giving him another central contract as he won't be playing tests and his lack of involvement in the world cup suggests his ODI career is all but over aswell. I think he could end up with an incremental contract and captaining the Twenty20 side through the summer before being phased out completely.

Agreed to 30K a year, I heard.

wow, i had thought it'd be closer to adding a 0 on the end of that....

edit: in fact im sure i read something that suggested it was 300k, ii may be wrong, or maybe you just missed off a 0?

Be very surprised to see any county cricketer being paid so much, having said that £30,000 seems a bit low for a player like Harmison. I'd guess he's on between £50,000 - £60,000 a season.

Be very surprised to see any county cricketer being paid so much, having said that £30,000 seems a bit low for a player like Harmison. I'd guess he's on between £50,000 - £60,000 a season.

maybe it was his england contract that was worth so much.. i really cant remember it was ages ago i read whatever it was i read

maybe it was his england contract that was worth so much.. i really cant remember it was ages ago i read whatever it was i read

Thats the more likely scenario. I don't think there's any way counties can be paying so much to a player, especially given that a good number of players still take jobs in the winter.

Agreed to 30K a year, I heard.
He signed a 4 year contract I think it was; rumoured to be £175k PA.

I like Harmison but I'm not sure that his ankles will see him through another two or three years TBH. He's a big lad and his body must take some pounding.

It kinda pisses me off when Onions gets one game in Dubai and is back in the performance squad. It goes with the territory but if someone like Stokes made it big for Durham we wouldnt see him all season.

Great for the lad but not for us.

Thats the more likely scenario. I don't think there's any way counties can be paying so much to a player, especially given that a good number of players still take jobs in the winter.
Two or three of them are on canny money. I would imagine that other than Harmison the likes of Benkenstein, MDV and Blackwell wont be on peanuts.

Collingwood will also be on our payroll I would imagine and all in all it must drain DCCC's resources. Hoy Onions in and you can see why we have no overseas batsman of any note in the T20.

Loads of the Durham players have been away this winter in Australia and NZ and I'm hoping that this will give us a good edge when the seaosn starts.

Last season we were too complacant, I never quite got a handle on what the players did during the winter and the whole thing just turned out pretty average.

I'm sure we learnt some valuable lessons about how to stay at the top and not believe your own hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back