'England must break up Anderson and Broad' says Vaughan

Sharpshooter

Midfield
Bowlers James Anderson and Stuart Broad should not play together for England in the future as the side build towards regaining the Ashes in Australia, says former captain Michael Vaughan.

Anderson, 38, and Broad, 33, are England's leading Test wicket-takers with 575 and 467 respectively.

But Vaughan says England have to be "realistic" about the pair's prospects of reaching the next Ashes in 2021-22.

"I don't think it is right both of them play now," Vaughan said.

"It might be that Broad plays one series and Anderson plays one series.

"They are not going to like it, but they are at that stage of their careers where England are going to have to manage the combination very smartly."

If they're both fully fit and healthy, why would England do this? The only time where this might be plausible would be in Australia next time, both Anderson and Broad have averages well into the 30s there and were part of the main bowling units that saw England lose the last two series there 5-0 and 4-0. Archer would have to be first name on the team sheet next time, maybe take one of them and bring another quick like Mark Wood.

Other than that I'm not sure why England should break them up, certainly not at home? Archer, Anderson and Broad would be a frightening attack for most teams.

"Australia must break up Warne and McGrath" said no Australian coach ever.

Last edited:

Don't agree at all, of course you want to bring players through, but it will happen naturally, always always pick your strongest team

As I say it will happen naturally, Archer got in natrually, Mark Wood when 100% fit would always now play away from home, as the spell he bowled in the Windies was as good as anything Archer bowled inthe Ashes.

Winning mentality and culture is important, this isn't a training programme to give players a game.

If they're both fully fit and healthy, why would England do this? The only time where this might be plausible would be in Australia next time, both Anderson and Broad have averages well into the 30s there and were part of the main bowling units that saw England lose the last two series there 5-0 and 4-0. Archer would have to be first name on the team sheet next time, maybe take one of them and bring another quick like Mark Wood.

Other than that I'm not sure why England should break them up, certainly not at home? Archer, Anderson and Broad would be a frightening attack for most teams.

"Australia must break up Warne and McGrath" said no Australian coach ever.

Spot on about the bit in bold

Windies: "We must break up Walsh and Ambrose"

Such bullshit that man speaks.

I can kind of see his point but ultimately if both are fit and firing then you should play them. For all the hype around Archer, Broad was our best bowler in this Ashes series and is bowling as well as I've seen him for years

Could Jimmy make the next Ashes, 40 years old? I know he’s no ordinary bowler but that would be a superhuman feat, saying that he’s so lean and naturally fit that I wouldn’t rule it out. I also don’t see why Broad can’t go on until his mid 30’s, he’s seldom looked better than he did this summer.

Whatever happens we need to enjoy what’s left of them, over 1000 combined test wickets, we’ll never see an opening pair like them again.

Neither of their workloads is excessive as neither play white ball cricket so there shouldn't be any need to rest them.
As for Anderson, however, he's now been out for 3 months with a calf "strain" and broken down twice attempting comebacks. Should be be selected for New Zealand having not yet proved his fitness?

I think if this Ashes had have gone to plan I reckon Anderson would have retired at the Oval having regained the Ashes. But I can't see him wanting to go out like this.
If Broad had any thoughts if retiring which had been suggested I would think the way he bowled in this series will have knocked that thought on the head

Neither of their workloads is excessive as neither play white ball cricket so there shouldn't be any need to rest them.
As for Anderson, however, he's now been out for 3 months with a calf "strain" and broken down twice attempting comebacks. Should be be selected for New Zealand having not yet proved his fitness?

He can certainly be included in the squad, given that we can add an extra man as cover or potentially call in a replacement. The problem would, of course, be a reoccurence of the issue during a match. Ultimately, us being a bowler short at Edgbaston was a big factor in losing the match and, in turn, drawing the series.

Aggers mentioned in one of his columns that he had spoken to Broad quite a bit this summer about not retiring.

With broad thinking like this and Anderson not getting any younger maybe there will be a changing of the guard over the winter / next summer

Aggers mentioned in one of his columns that he had spoken to Broad quite a bit this summer about not retiring.

With broad thinking like this and Anderson not getting any younger maybe there will be a changing of the guard over the winter / next summer

If there is they need to sort out whatever the fuck is going on with Chris Woakes, especially for when we get back home next summer.

I don’t really see where we go without Anderson and broad. Such a lack of talent coming through. Woods fitness is so poor, Woakes just drifts out of series and there isn’t much else going on. Only really archer as a viable test bowler at present. So on this basis I kind of agree with Vaughan, in that we need to be blooding other new players at certain points. I don’t think we need to plain drop one of them though.
I just hope we get a chance to see an attack of archer broad and Jimmy for a few series

Injuries are starting to mount up for Jimmy which is no surprise given his workload over the last 16 years. Fast bowlers put so much into their action that injuries are quite normal, especially after they pass 30. It's been noticeable that Jimmy, who rarely had an injury when he was young is starting to get more and more niggles in the last 4 years. He missed the last 2 tests of the 2015 Ashes as well didn't he?
I don’t really see where we go without Anderson and broad. Such a lack of talent coming through
Jofra Archer

Back