England in Sri Lanka Red Ball

Made a mighty 14 before being bowled by a nothing delivery from a journeyman off-spinner. Working out great this number 4 lark.
Change Root to 3, then what? Stokes goes to 4 and comes in ten minutes later, that doesn't really change anything and is superficial at best. Root is statistically better at 4 so all you would be doing is weakening our top order further imo.

The bigger problem by far imo is the opening partnership. We hardly ever have a decent opening stand and it's effecting our ability to bed in a new number 3. I would say try an opener at 3 as it's basically what our number 3s do anyway but we are struggling to find one never mind three.

It's a real problem with no easy answers that's for sure.

2nd innings sorry

I still think Vince has a chance

He averages 31 at 3

Not great but he think scored some big runs at 3 for hampshire after getting dropped

Phew thought I was going senile there like.

Right quiz question then. Without looking. When was last time England declared in 1st innings? I'm going for Eng v Aus. When Strauss was still batting. :eek:

Change Root to 3, then what? Stokes goes to 4 and comes in ten minutes later, that doesn't really change anything and is superficial at best. Root is statistically better at 4 so all you would be doing is weakening our top order further imo.

The bigger problem by far imo is the opening partnership. We hardly ever have a decent opening stand and it's effecting our ability to bed in a new number 3. I would say try an opener at 3 as it's basically what our number 3s do anyway but we are struggling to find one never mind three.

It's a real problem with no easy answers that's for sure.

Root averages:
41 at #3
50 at #4 (apologies to Johnson for incorrect figure earlier)

Moeen averages:
14 at #3
45 at #8

Stokes averages:
19 at #3
37 at #6

Joe's nine extra runs, cost the team 31 from Moeen or 18 from Stokes.

We could always call up James Vince (30 at #3) or Ian Bell (38)....

Root averages:
41 at #3
50 at #4 (apologies to Johnson for incorrect figure earlier)

Moeen averages:
14 at #3
45 at #8

Stokes averages:
19 at #3
37 at #6

Joe's nine extra runs, cost the team 31 from Moeen or 18 from Stokes.

We could always call up James Vince (30 at #3) or Ian Bell (38)....

Stokes has had one innings at 4, haway man.

We are playing in Asia and trying to fit in all our all rounders too

We aren’t playing in England mate

It’s totally and utterly irrelevant

The last test match we declared

You may take the view that we should take each game as it comes - fine. But it's certainly not totally and utterly irrelevant.

95% of a selection decisions should be made with an eye on the task in hand. But it does pay to think a bit about the long-term too. In fact, clearly they are thinking a bit of the long-term: Ali has only had two bites at number three in Sri Lanka. That's woefully unfair if you're only thinking short-term, but they're not: hence he's back down the order. That's a clear: where do we want to be in England.

Mind, he scored more runs there in England than either Stokes or him have managed here so far.

Either way it's not irrelevant at all to make decisions now with a tiny bit of an eye on England, where we play 50 per cent of our tests. An unnecessarily rude response.

Was there in the flesh, cameo from Curran has won us this. Bit of aggression from Stokes then use all four spinners.

Bizarrely I think the winning contribution from Anderson/Curran will be more bat than ball. Cameo from Curran was great to watch in the flesh when we were all so down in the ground.

Onwards and upwards.

You may take the view that we should take each game as it comes - fine. But it's certainly not totally and utterly irrelevant.

95% of a selection decisions should be made with an eye on the task in hand. But it does pay to think a bit about the long-term too. In fact, clearly they are thinking a bit of the long-term: Ali has only had two bites at number three in Sri Lanka. That's woefully unfair if you're only thinking short-term, but they're not: hence he's back down the order. That's a clear: where do we want to be in England.

Mind, he scored more runs there in England than either Stokes or him have managed here so far.

Either way it's not irrelevant at all to make decisions now with a tiny bit of an eye on England, where we play 50 per cent of our tests. An unnecessarily rude response.

I really wasn't being rude like

I just think its vital we win a series abroad, the team needs it, and I don't think fans and media would accept defeat as long as it meant we were planning for the ashes

cricket in Sri Lanka and Bangladesh is like nowhere else in the world, the ball spins generally from ball one, you just have to adap

maybe the west indies they can use to plan a bit for the ashes

Was there in the flesh, cameo from Curran has won us this. Bit of aggression from Stokes then use all four spinners.

Bizarrely I think the winning contribution from Anderson/Curran will be more bat than ball. Cameo from Curran was great to watch in the flesh when we were all so down in the ground.

Onwards and upwards.

Hardly a cameo lad?! Top-score, could be a match-winner!

Slightly overstating it. There have been many who have tried and failed, Ali being one.
Root ought to have a better chance than Ali because of his game.

The problem with such as Ali trying from his point of view is that if he gives it a go and fails he doesn't get the credit and he's in danger of being dropped. We ought to think of Modern as a bit of a hero, he's been shunted around the batting order so often it must put his head in a spin.

I see Stokes has been put in at three and it hasn't worked but maybe it could it they keep trying, maybe it will work eventually but maybe folk will just say Stokes is out of form he should be dropped and Bairstow given a chance.

No good answer available.

I agree entirely with your comments about Ali, we should not be asking him, Stokes, Buttler to bat there, we should simply tell Root he has too!

Got to say mind Jos Buttler is such a intelligent cricketer in terms of been able to read the situation.

Deciding when is the right and wrong time to attack or defend , his reading of the game is exemplary.

I really wasn't being rude like

I just think its vital we win a series abroad, the team needs it, and I don't think fans and media would accept defeat as long as it meant we were planning for the ashes

cricket in Sri Lanka and Bangladesh is like nowhere else in the world, the ball spins generally from ball one, you just have to adap

maybe the west indies they can use to plan a bit for the ashes
Only problem with that is the Windies wickets being more like Sri Lanka than England, not sure you'll learn a lot more there. Maybe whether or not Jennings can bat v quicks first up.

It's too early for him mate, not sure he has the technique to be batting that high, then again he is a top quality player but think unfair on him to stick him soo high when more experienced batsman there.

I still think people on this thread are stuck in slightly old fashioned views.

Sri Lanka have thrashed Australia and South Africa recently, our approach and tactics for this tour is spot on IMO

Back