England in Sri Lanka Red Ball

Just feels that Sri Lanka have lost this test in the last 45 mins.

This is totally justifying ed Smith theory mind

Pick players who can bat, and can genuinely bat, as far as you can

Well anyone who has ever said things along the lines of us not needing genuine batters at 7 etc were clueless anyway tbf.

Last edited:
Just feels that Sri Lanka have lost this test in the last 45 mins.

Well anyone who has ever said things along the lines of us not needing genuine batters at 7 etc were clueless anyway tbf.

Yeah and it’s not a new thing but we have some genuine all rounders now

For me this shows why Ali should drop down as low as 8 in England, could have some genuine long partnerships down there

Slightly overstating it. There have been many who have tried and failed, Ali being one.
Root ought to have a better chance than Ali because of his game.

The problem with such as Ali trying from his point of view is that if he gives it a go and fails he doesn't get the credit and he's in danger of being dropped. We ought to think of Modern as a bit of a hero, he's been shunted around the batting order so often it must put his head in a spin.

I see Stokes has been put in at three and it hasn't worked but maybe it could it they keep trying, maybe it will work eventually but maybe folk will just say Stokes is out of form he should be dropped and Bairstow given a chance.

No good answer available.

Agree about Ali. Proper team player. You're right his batting has come under scrutiny this series along with Root and others. But luckily he's been on it with his bowling. So hopefully undroppable for a few series yet.

I see Compton has tweeted that Curran is a long time number 3

I know we can overdo stats. But in 48 first class games he averages 29. With no tons

Of course he is promising, but he’s never a test 3. Is he?

Think he could be one day. Early days though. He's never a test class bowler so they're going to have to try something to get him there.

Yeah a lot more than galle

I’d say you can still score runs, probably par that

Par, yes. But actually think its an attacking game you need - so maybe will be tricky for Sri Lanka.

Another great toss to have won.

This is totally justifying ed Smith theory mind

Pick players who can bat, and can genuinely bat, as far as you can

Aye, but the difference between over 1 and over 70 in Sri Lanka is one thing. In England, a very different matter...

The Jennings issue will return. Australia will have him on toast.

If Ed Smith is brutal about horses for courses being for the batsmen too, he may not get his chance...

Agree if he does it will be utter carnage.

Last edited:
Strange times these, you almost want us to be 2 or 3 down to allow the proper batsmen to come in.

We laugh and joke about it. But our lower order is immense like. Lost count of times they've gotten us out of the shit. A bit of a culture shock considering the collapses we had growing up. Just imagine if our top order contributed. Problem is that they haven't been. Putting undue pressure on our bowlers too often. People like Rash would love 500+ on the board setting ultra attacking fields etc. But I can't remember the last time we declared 1st innings.

Think he could be one day. Early days though. He's never a test class bowler so they're going to have to try something to get him there.

Par, yes. But actually think its an attacking game you need - so maybe will be tricky for Sri Lanka.

Another great toss to have won.

Aye, but the difference between over 1 and over 70 in Sri Lanka is one thing. In England, a very different matter...

If Ed Smith is brutal about horses for courses being for the batsmen too, he may not get his chance...

Agree if he does it will be utter carnage.

We aren’t playing in England mate

It’s totally and utterly irrelevant

We laugh and joke about it. But our lower order is immense like. Lost count of times they've gotten us out of the shit. A bit of a culture shock considering the collapses we had growing up. Just imagine if our top order contributed. Problem is that they haven't been. Putting undue pressure on our bowlers too often. People like Rash would love 500+ on the board setting ultra attacking fields etc. But I can't remember the last time we declared 1st innings.

The last test match we declared

Back