England in Sri Lanka Red Ball

Bairstow isn’t playing though is he

Think he mind end up there in ashes

I think he’s a better keeper than Buttler

If Foakes is good as people think then has to get on with it.

I’d back him to knuckle down

There’s no way you can say Foakes might not be a complete disaster against Australia in England like

He’s had a pretty poor 12 months batting red ball don’t think anyone wound dusafeee

Played some important innings mind

I’d argue his keeping has been very very good though And he’s an all rounder

The question is how much does Foakes need to average to get in the team

Yes, I'm talking long-term on Bairstow. It's the right team for tomorrow and with that attack we're talking Stokes in four or five over bursts, probably two an innings if it all goes well. He can handle that, but at home next year I think he'll have to get through a fair bit more than that.

Long-term at home I would say Rashid and Leach make way for Bairstow and Broad. Would find it odd if many disagreed with that. Smith might, given his fondness for Rashid, but I'd be surprised. If - as he has so far - he gets outbowled by Leach and Ali this winter, that's surely the excuse he needs.

Of course, there's no way of saying Foakes will not be a worry at home. There's no way of saying any of them will not be a worry, frankly: anyone can have a bad series against an excellent attack - see here Bairstow versus India. He's meant to be a reasonable player of seam, but we've never seen him at this level, Burns likewise. Jennings we have - and its not pretty, so yes many questions for that series. But if Foakes bats anything like that for the duration of the winter, he'll start the Ashes.

Root is not gonna bat 3, be doesn’t want to and his record at 4 is miles better

Not sure why people are still suggesting it just move on

Aye. It's a fair argument, but it isn't happening so we may as well price it in to our debates now.

It’s not gonna happen mate so just move on

Our best player should bat where he bats best

We also haven’t tried many people there

Plus Root moved to 4 and immediately got a 100

Our best player should bat where it suits the team because it’s a team game.

I know I am going over old ground but really struggle to understand that people really think Root runs are scored because of his position in the order rather than because of his talent.

No it’s not

And what’s this man up stuff? How’s it more macho batting at 3?

It’s not more macho to bat at 3 in principle I agree with that.

But it is more macho to bat at 3 when the team needs someone to step up to the plate in a problem position which is the current situation.

Last edited:
Our best player should bat where it suits the team because it’s a team game.

I know I am going over old ground but really struggle to understand that people really think Root runs are scored because of his position in the order rather than because of his talent.

It’s not more macho to bat at 3 in principle I agree with that.

But it is more macho to bat at 3 when the team needs someone to step up to the plate in a problem position which is the current situation.

but we then just need to find a new number 4 surely?

Yes, I'm talking long-term on Bairstow. It's the right team for tomorrow and with that attack we're talking Stokes in four or five over bursts, probably two an innings if it all goes well. He can handle that, but at home next year I think he'll have to get through a fair bit more than that.

Long-term at home I would say Rashid and Leach make way for Bairstow and Broad. Would find it odd if many disagreed with that. Smith might, given his fondness for Rashid, but I'd be surprised. If - as he has so far - he gets outbowled by Leach and Ali this winter, that's surely the excuse he needs.

Of course, there's no way of saying Foakes will not be a worry at home. There's no way of saying any of them will not be a worry, frankly: anyone can have a bad series against an excellent attack - see here Bairstow versus India. He's meant to be a reasonable player of seam, but we've never seen him at this level, Burns likewise. Jennings we have - and its not pretty, so yes many questions for that series. But if Foakes bats anything like that for the duration of the winter, he'll start the Ashes.

Aye. It's a fair argument, but it isn't happening so we may as well price it in to our debates now.

As far as I am aware Smith picks the squad but has no say in the XI

Last edited:

At the moment and for the last few years in fact 3 has been the problem position.

A sign of a true team player and best player in the team is to take up that mantle and solve it, which he is undoubtedly capable of doing it due to the fact even when batting at 4 he has been at the crease in first 10 overs anyway

As far as I am aware Smith picks the squad but has no say in the XI

That's certainly the traditional model, but I think he probably exerts more soft influence than before - he was at the last game, which is unusual behaviour from a selector, away from home. That said, I think Root is also beginning to stamp his authority on the team. That does not bode well for Rashid, long-term - I'm not sure he rates him that much.

There was an interesting back and forth in the press. Root came out after the end of the test and said Foakes will definitely play. Then Bayliss tried to row back on it and said Bairstow had done very well. Don't know if it means anything - probably not. But get the sense Root is making the big calls.

Is it just me that prefers these low key tours to the hype and inevitable stuffing in Convict Land?
No
Better destinations as well.

Never mind the result, we can lose anywhere.

Have been to every Test playing nation, apart from Pakistan (the lads I spoke to reckoned it was great) although haven't watched cricket in NZ or WI or Zim.

Australia easily my least favourite.

I’m in the Root must bat 3 camp sadly

Pleased they have kept Foakes. I still think, and most disagree, that Bairstows white ball game is masking his red ball failings
Totally agree on Barstow.

Ffs Jennings.:rolleyes:

Is it just me that prefers these low key tours to the hype and inevitable stuffing in Convict Land?
Not just you at all, mate!

Btw for anyone who isn't watching - Jennings did his usual trick against the seamer of planting his front foot, playing miles from his body and nicking behind.

7-1

Turning like a good'un in the first few overs, too

Last edited:
Totally agree on Barstow.

Ffs Jennings.:rolleyes:

Not just you at all, mate!

Btw for anyone who isn't watching - Jennings did his usual trick against the seamer of planting his front foot, playing miles from his body and nicking behind.

7-1

The Saffa will be a walking wicket once the Aussies rock up next year (and potentially Tim Murtagh earlier on!).

Another of our non-number 3s exposed to the new ball again...

The Saffa will be a walking wicket once the Aussies rock up next year (and potentially Tim Murtagh earlier on!).

Another of our non-number 3s exposed to the new ball again...
Indeed. I'm in no way trying to rubbish his efforts in the last Test, but we know he can play well against spin, and when there's no bounce - hes utterly wank against anything medium pace or above that moves, and he's done nothing to disprove that.

Really need Rory to make the other opening spot his own (I think he will, but time will tell), or it could be a bloodbath in the summer...

Back