England in Sri Lanka Red Ball

Root is not gonna bat 3, be doesn’t want to and his record at 4 is miles better

Not sure why people are still suggesting it just move on

Buttler is wasted at three. Quality batsman, but at 5-6. Likewise Stokes. Whoever you put there is a human shield for Root, and Root needs to justify that with runs or man up.

Root average at #3: 41
Root average at #4: 47

Moeen average at #3: 14
Moeen average at #7: 45

Ergo Root's reluctance to bat three is costing the team 25 runs.

Last edited:
Buttler is wasted at three. Quality batsman, but at 5-6. Likewise Stokes. Whoever you put there is a human shield for Root, and Root needs to justify that with runs or man up.

Root average at #3: 41
Root average at #4: 47

Moeen average at #3: 14
Moeen average at #7: 45

Ergo Root's reluctance to bat three is costing the team 25 runs.

No it’s not

And what’s this man up stuff? How’s it more macho batting at 3?

I reckon Ed Smith selected Denly for the tour with a view to him batting in the top 3 this winter. But once on tour Bayliss and Root have had a look and thought he is not as good as what we have already got even if most are happy to bat at 5 or 6.

Got the technique just not ideal if bowling overs

I don't like him up there personally. Too important a bowler, if not this series, certainly long-term.

Still think Bairstow should be the one to have a go somewhere in top three. Failing that, Buttler. These are the lads who probably have no other responsibilities.

I don't like him up there personally. Too important a bowler, if not this series, certainly long-term.

Still think Bairstow should be the one to have a go somewhere in top three. Failing that, Buttler. These are the lads who probably have no other responsibilities.

Bairstow isn’t playing though is he

Think he mind end up there in ashes

I think he’s a better keeper than Buttler

If Foakes is good as people think then has to get on with it.

I’d back him to knuckle down

There’s no way you can say Foakes might not be a complete disaster against Australia in England like

I’m in the Root must bat 3 camp sadly

Pleased they have kept Foakes. I still think, and most disagree, that Bairstows white ball game is masking his red ball failings

He’s had a pretty poor 12 months batting red ball don’t think anyone wound dusafeee

Played some important innings mind

I’d argue his keeping has been very very good though And he’s an all rounder

The question is how much does Foakes need to average to get in the team

Last edited:
Bairstow isn’t playing though is he

Think he mind end up there in ashes

I think he’s a better keeper than Buttler

If Foakes is good as people think then has to get on with it.

I’d back him to knuckle down

There’s no way you can say Foakes might not be a complete disaster against Australia in England like

He’s had a pretty poor 12 months batting red ball don’t think anyone wound dusafeee

Played some important innings mind

I’d argue his keeping has been very very good though And he’s an all rounder

The question is how much does Foakes need to average to get in the team
At the minute mid 30s. Our batsmen, bar Root, don’t average more than that!

Back