England in South Africa - red ball

I think we can only give credit to Bairstow for all the runs he’s scored since being dropped, he’s managed to go three months without being bowled through a farmers gate too. Kudos to him for working so hard at his game this winter. It’s tremendous that the selectors have taken note of recent form and instantly recalled him.

Am in SA now.
For those on British Airways, they are showing "The Edge" on their new releases this month.
It was absolutely brilliant. Something to look forward to on the flight.

I got a SIM with Vodacom in a mall on the way to the Kruger.
He was not used to dealing with tourists, you are supposed to show your passport and address/ where you are staying, he never asked for either from me or the Mrs.

Loads of plans available, SIN cost 1 Rand, we just got 5GB for a month for 360 ZAR. SA calls something like 1.20ZAR a minute. Not saying it's a great deal, but it was really easy.

MTN supposed to have canny coverage anarl.

Am in SA now.
For those on British Airways, they are showing "The Edge" on their new releases this month.
It was absolutely brilliant. Something to look forward to on the flight.

I got a SIM with Vodacom in a mall on the way to the Kruger.
He was not used to dealing with tourists, you are supposed to show your passport and address/ where you are staying, he never asked for either from me or the Mrs.

Loads of plans available, SIN cost 1 Rand, we just got 5GB for a month for 360 ZAR. SA calls something like 1.20ZAR a minute. Not saying it's a great deal, but it was really easy.

MTN supposed to have canny coverage anarl.

Does your phone have to be unlocked?

South Africans here reckon that they are about to get absolutely hammered.
Their whole structure is in disarray.
However, the ones that I have spoken to are pleased with the appointments of Smith and Boucher and are positive that things can change in the long term.
Against us though, they expect to lose.

Last edited:
However, the ones that I have spoken to are pleased with the appointments of Smith and Boucher and are positive that things can change in the long term.
Those two definitely won't take any crap, I'd be concerned about the director of cricket or whatever title Smith has only having a contract effectively for this series.

Have they seen England’s record abroad in tests

Their domestic structure always looks to me like a complete mess. One first class structure based around towns & cities then another based around regions. Doesn't make sense.

Have they seen England’s record abroad in tests
Wouldn't dream of telling them mate, especially after the rugby.
Their domestic structure always looks to me like a complete mess. One first class structure based around towns & cities then another based around regions. Doesn't make sense.
The management is an absolute shambles.
The players nearly went on strike against us a few weeks ago.

Those two definitely won't take any crap, I'd be concerned about the director of cricket or whatever title Smith has only having a contract effectively for this series.
Hopefully for SA he will be kept on and turn things around.

On a different note, possibly wrong thread, but people here of all races have been unbelievably welcoming.

Was talking to an Afrikaner last night about traditional stereotyping of sports.
Afrikaners- rugby

White English speakers - cricket

Black South Africans - " soccer".

But he reckoned that many more young black South Africans were becoming much more interested in cricket.
Especially in the Eastern and Western Cape.

Last time I was here was for 4 months mid 80s.
Crikey things have changed.

Wouldn't dream of telling them mate, especially after the rugby.

The management is an absolute shambles.
The players nearly went on strike against us a few weeks ago.

Hopefully for SA he will be kept on and turn things around.

On a different note, possibly wrong thread, but people here of all races have been unbelievably welcoming.

Was talking to an Afrikaner last night about traditional stereotyping of sports.
Afrikaners- rugby

White English speakers - cricket

Black South Africans - " soccer".

But he reckoned that many more young black South Africans were becoming much more interested in cricket.
Especially in the Eastern and Western Cape.

Last time I was here was for 4 months mid 80s.
Crikey things have changed.

Has there been any of the power outages while you are there?

I know he’s only in as cover and will probably get nowhere near the side - but I really don’t ‘get’ Overton at all

No, I can't say I rate him much either. He's not quick, he doesn't move the ball and for his height he doesn't seem to get much extra bounce either. I'm also a bit surprised Bess has been called up although granted the options are limited.

Back