England cricket's Top 20 greatest Test innings

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopCat

Striker
From the Guardian

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/...reatest-test-innings/gooch-scores-33-v-india/

Did not come against a premium attack, Kapil Dev excluded, but it earns it's place on this list as England's highest score at Lord's, and the only triple century there. It was and remains a monument to sheer appetite for runs, physical endurance and total commitment to England's cause, qualities that Gooch epitomised and which have been passed down to Alistair Cook. Gooch followed this up with a ton in the second innings as well, the freak
:lol::lol:

Bit of a silly list given that half of those innings were in the last 20 years.

Pietersen at The Oval was hugely important but he was dropped three times and played and missed numerous times, it was actually a poor innings in a lot of ways as he looked like he was trying to throw it away. His match winners in Columbo and Mumbai in 2012 were much much better.

My personal favourite off there would be Atherton v Donald.

is Derek Randall's knock in the centenary test in Australia included?

That was my thought, funny how that one sticks in the mind when other innings don't.

Although Gooch's 333 remains a memory, but notable on how boring it was.

Theres not many innings where the batsman is doing somersaults and putting his cap on back to front whilst sitting on his arse sticking his tongue out ;)

A better knock from Gooch was his 150 v West Indies in 1991. Without looking the scores up, he scored at least half of England's total in that innings.

That was number 1 and rightly so

Botham's magic at Headingley is the first one I can properly remember watching. I was playing cricket in the street (with a future England captain) and my Dad came out to get me when Beefy was about 50* and we watched the rest of the day's play, and then Willis run through them the next morning.

Botham's magic at Headingley is the first one I can properly remember watching. I was playing cricket in the street (with a future England captain) and my Dad came out to get me when Beefy was about 50* and we watched the rest of the day's play, and then Willis run through them the next morning.
The backfoot drives from Graeme Dilly are what sticks in my mind most.

I was at the Lords Test that year for the Saturday and Dilly was fielding near where I was sitting, some of the lads were giving him a bit of stick and his face went bright red in embarrassment! :lol:

The backfoot drives from Graeme Dilly are what sticks in my mind most.

I was at the Lords Test that year for the Saturday and Dilly was fielding near where I was sitting, some of the lads were giving him a bit of stick and his face went bright red in embarrassment! :lol:

To be fair, Dilley was usually a bit rosey cheeked. :lol:

Any current players in the list? Would have thought our Ben's 250 odd should be in?

Which captain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back