England 2022

if this happens which stadiums would be used ?

Stadium of Light/sports direct

Elland Road

Hillsborough

Etihad/Old Trafford

Anfield/new Everton

Villa Park/Molineux (after redevelopment)

Wembley

Emirates/Spurs Stadium

St Mary's

City ground (redeveloped)

Possibly include Wales/Scotland

Ibrox/park head

Millennium
SOL before Elland Road and Sheff wed and sports direct.

Stadium MK is too small isn't it? I thought you had to have a minimum 40k capacity to host a FIFA event.

Besides, in the seemingly impossible chance of Qatar being stripped of the 2020 World Cup I think the US would get it... you know given they bid for it and England didn't

Minimum is 30k which is what Stadium MK is.

It should go to South Korea due to USA having 2026. South Korea would be far better than England as well

This won’t happen.

But I can’t see why SoL wouldn’t get used.

Hope I get to see one major tournament in England in my lifetime. That’d be me happy tbh.

It’s not going to happen

We haven't held a major tournament since 1996. In the extremely unlikely event it did happen it would be best to give it to nation that has. There's more to it than stadiums. There would need to be changes to infastructure and travel links. Germany would be ideal for taking it at only a couple of years notice.

They have the euros in 2024 though.

Whys that?
Ninth biggest in England.
Only 5 English stadiums have uefa 4 stars (us, anfield, ethiad, villa Park and St Mary's, though spurs would be a 4 star too)
Old Trafford have 5 with Wembley.

Course we'd be used.

UEFA 4 Star Stadiums – StadiumDB.com

How many 5 star hotel rooms are there in Sunderland and were they there in 2007 ? I know this relates to hosting if uefa competitions but it's a genuine question

They only allow 2 grounds in the same city once so that would be Wembley and Spurs stadium.

Old Trafford, Anfield and Villa Park certainly. SoL or St James or both. Elland Road or Hillsborough or perhaps the Millennium Stadium Cardiff?

I don't see it happening as plans are too far down the road.

Whys that?
Ninth biggest in England.
Only 5 English stadiums have uefa 4 stars (us, anfield, ethiad, villa Park and St Mary's, though spurs would be a 4 star too)
Old Trafford have 5 with Wembley.

Course we'd be used.

UEFA 4 Star Stadiums – StadiumDB.com

That is something I never knew, I guess you would be ahead of us then, fair play.

As a side note, I wonder what criteria we lack Hmmmm

Requirements necessary to receive 4 stars from UEFA:
  1. Minimum capa city of 30,000 seats.
  2. Each seat has to be an individual seat with backrest, benches would not be considered.
  3. The field should have the size of 105x68m.
  4. Minimum distance between the field and stands of 6m along the sides and 7.5m behind goals.
  5. No perimeter fences around the field (moats allowed).
  6. Top class player and referee changing rooms (identical standard for each team, lit and bright). Each team changing room should have the surface of no less than 100 m2.
  7. Direct, protected and secure access routes for players and referees from the parking lot to the changing rooms and from these facilities onto the field.
  8. Adequate and well-equipped room for doping control.
  9. Analogically for the UEFA delegate.
  10. Floodlights of no less than 1,400 lux for the main camera position and no less than 1,000 lux for other parts of the stadium. Also, backup system of floodlights (or power source) possible to launch at every time and providing the same parameters.
  11. Modern and efficient public address system enabling transfer of information both in the stands, under them and around the stadium (doesn’t cover specific rooms for building users). The sound should be clear and understandable, possible to hear regardless of noise level within the crowd. The system needs to be independent of main power supply in order to operate in case of emergency.
  12. Surveillance system (CCTV) in colour, covering all public areas in the stadium and around it. The system needs to be able to provide clear photos of monitored areas at any time.
  13. Control room with monitors for the above-mentioned system, speaker’s position, video board and information. Police and fire departments should have their representatives within the room or directly next to it. The control room needs to provide direct and unobstructed view of the stands.
  14. Internationally understood signage in all public areas of the stadium and around it.
  15. Minimum of two sections, 50 places each, for the disabled and their companions. These seats have to be covered and have access to well-equipped toilet facilities.
  16. Toilets for fans of both genders should be provided in sufficient number and decent standard. Toilets without toilet seats will not be accepted.
  17. Highest quality of working space for media representatives, including well placed camera positions, TV studios and other rooms for broadcasting needs. Number of spots for various kinds of media representatives can vary depending on game (details can be found in UEFA Guidelines for Media Facilities).
  18. The stadium should offer highest quality of VIP spaces, including a minimum 200 seats within the VIP lounge. Additional hospitality area for 400 people, room to arrange similar spaces for both teams (2x200 seats).
Additional UEFA Cup final requirements:
  1. International airport(s) able to serve additional 80 charters per day, open 24/7.
  2. Sufficient number of hotel rooms for UEFA and its partners, no less than 500 beds (5 stars). Additional capacity of lower grade hotels is also required.

Last edited:
Let's be honest our part of world is on a par for corruption at least with qatar, why do people think we deserve the world cup in the basis of the moral high ground. I couldn't give two shites if Qatar have it, I hope they keep it

That is something I never knew, I guess you would be ahead of us then, fair play.

As a side note, I wonder what criteria we lack Hmmmm

Requirements necessary to receive 4 stars from UEFA:
  1. Minimum capa city of 30,000 seats.
  2. Each seat has to be an individual seat with backrest, benches would not be considered.
  3. The field should have the size of 105x68m.
  4. Minimum distance between the field and stands of 6m along the sides and 7.5m behind goals.
  5. No perimeter fences around the field (moats allowed).
  6. Top class player and referee changing rooms (identical standard for each team, lit and bright). Each team changing room should have the surface of no less than 100 m2.
  7. Direct, protected and secure access routes for players and referees from the parking lot to the changing rooms and from these facilities onto the field.
  8. Adequate and well-equipped room for doping control.
  9. Analogically for the UEFA delegate.
  10. Floodlights of no less than 1,400 lux for the main camera position and no less than 1,000 lux for other parts of the stadium. Also, backup system of floodlights (or power source) possible to launch at every time and providing the same parameters.
  11. Modern and efficient public address system enabling transfer of information both in the stands, under them and around the stadium (doesn’t cover specific rooms for building users). The sound should be clear and understandable, possible to hear regardless of noise level within the crowd. The system needs to be independent of main power supply in order to operate in case of emergency.
  12. Surveillance system (CCTV) in colour, covering all public areas in the stadium and around it. The system needs to be able to provide clear photos of monitored areas at any time.
  13. Control room with monitors for the above-mentioned system, speaker’s position, video board and information. Police and fire departments should have their representatives within the room or directly next to it. The control room needs to provide direct and unobstructed view of the stands.
  14. Internationally understood signage in all public areas of the stadium and around it.
  15. Minimum of two sections, 50 places each, for the disabled and their companions. These seats have to be covered and have access to well-equipped toilet facilities.
  16. Toilets for fans of both genders should be provided in sufficient number and decent standard. Toilets without toilet seats will not be accepted.
  17. Highest quality of working space for media representatives, including well placed camera positions, TV studios and other rooms for broadcasting needs. Number of spots for various kinds of media representatives can vary depending on game (details can be found in UEFA Guidelines for Media Facilities).
  18. The stadium should offer highest quality of VIP spaces, including a minimum 200 seats within the VIP lounge. Additional hospitality area for 400 people, room to arrange similar spaces for both teams (2x200 seats).
Additional UEFA Cup final requirements:
  1. International airport(s) able to serve additional 80 charters per day, open 24/7.
  2. Sufficient number of hotel rooms for UEFA and its partners, no less than 500 beds (5 stars). Additional capacity of lower grade hotels is also required.
Seems utterly bizarre that you're not BTW.
It was last updated in 2007, but I doubt you've done anything to at James since then?

UEFA binned the star system about a decade ago. They'll be hundreds of new grounds and upgrades around Europe since any such list was published.
I agree. But bizarre that St James wasnt and ours was.

Sufficient number of hotel rooms for UEFA and its partners, no less than 500 beds (5 stars).

However, you were awarded it, so must have them.
That's to have a final.
And Nar. Doubt Newcastle does too mind!
Think seaham Hall is thr only 5 star hotel in the area?

Last edited:
Seems utterly bizarre that you're not BTW.
It was last updated in 2007, but I doubt you've done anything to at James since then?

I agree. But bizarre that St James wasnt and ours was.

That's to have a final.

Ahh I see.

I Don't know, it says you have to have identical changing rooms, ours isnt, the visitors get the raw end of the stick,, and I hope they never change that too lol

Personally I don't really care, If you lot got it it's still only five mins away, and even if it was Ecuador v South Africa I would go. I remember Euro 96, France v (cant remember at St James') it was fantastic. Either way, the region would get international tournament football.. win win which ever stadium they use.

I have been sorta involved in Euro 2020 work. From what I have seen the SoL wouldn't be used these days for a World Cup imo.

It's about far more than the stadium, in fact that is only a small part of the selection criteria.
Show off. :lol:
Aye. I thought that. But tbh hotels and transport links are OK. Capable of hosting major concerts so I'd think capable of hosting a few thousand fans.
I'm unsure why it wouldn't be acceptable. What's your reasoning behind that?

Ahh I see.

I Don't know, it says you have to have identical changing rooms, ours isnt, the visitors get the raw end of the stick,, and I hope they never change that too lol

Personally I don't really care, If you lot got it it's still only five mins away, and even if it was Ecuador v South Africa I would go. I remember Euro 96, France v (cant remember at St James') it was fantastic. Either way, the region would get international tournament football.. win win which ever stadium they use.
They used st james for the Olympics though?
Our changing rooms are different too I think (though that may be colours and the size may be the same).
It wouldn't bother me. I just posted initially as there always seems to be a few posters who try to put Safc and thr sol down straight away. I remembered the 4 star uefa thing and I did find it intersting like.

Last edited:

Back