England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 UEFA EURO 2020 Group D kick off 2000 ITV 1/ STV / ITV Hub / STV Player

What is the evidence that we will get better? In 2 games, how many shots have we had on target?
Not sure how you can have evidence before the event, but OK first half hour against Croatia they looked really good and could have scored two or three.

Italia 90 England’s first game against ROI was worse than that last night, so was the game v Egypt. Let’s see how they play when it really matters, knockout stages

We did what every continental and South American team would do at a major tournament…. Play for the best result for winning the tournament. Tonight that was 0-0. Expect the same against Slovakia. Any draw will see them top the group and us finish second, exactly where we wanted to finish all along.
If we lose on Tuesday and Croatia or Scotland win and overturn the goal difference how does that have us playing yesterday for the best result to win the tournament?

Not sure how you can have evidence before the event, but OK first half hour against Croatia they looked really good and could have scored two or three.

Italia 90 England’s first game against ROI was worse than that last night, so was the game v Egypt. Let’s see how they play when it really matters, knockout stages
Have you actually seen our record at knockout stages?

If that was Germany the pundits would be reminding us of their ability to grind results out in the group stages and grow into the tournament. England will get better, whether enough we’ll see.

'Not against Croatia and Scotland at home.

England will be better than the Scotland match but they'll certainly go out against one of the better teams in the tournament.

'Not good enough to win a major tournament, nowhere near, so why are they being paid these ridiculous salaries that have helped to turn our national game into a farce.

'Not against Croatia and Scotland at home.

England will be better than the Scotland match but they'll certainly go out against one of the better teams in the tournament.

'Not good enough to win a major tournament, nowhere near, so why are they being paid these ridiculous salaries that have helped to turn our national game into a farce.
Not really sure on what basis we aren’t good enough as a squad to win a tournament mind. We’ve had 5 of the last 8 champions league finalists, 2 of the last 4 winners, about half of the last CL final 22 were English, we’ve got the best league and our players play with the worlds best players week in week out. We’ve got a good collection of the worlds best attackers in particular and we are in a better position than anyone strength in depth wise.

Think our problem is threefold - squad selection is pants, manager is awful and we still haven’t settled on our best formation - Sancho should play, James shouldn’t, rice shouldn’t, Phillips shouldn’t, mings shouldn’t, Sterling shouldn’t. We are reluctant to make changes and the manager is tactically woeful tbh. If we had a good manager we’d have as good a shot as anyone at this tournament. We’re now playing a formation that we haven’t played for 4 years as a National team and didn’t play in any of the warmup games. Preparation is so poor.

He was pretty good for a youngster. Didn't start well but grew into it.

'Never really noticed him, either. I watched the first 5 minutes and after that just stared at the television screen right through all of the players. Mind numbingly boring. The only two mildly interesting things that came out of that match or were emphasised yet again, were: why was Phil Foden's hair so utter shit and what is the point of football now.

By far the best thing that could be done is scrap the whole thing, start a new league in 1890 style and pay them the same wage as a nurse.

'Never really noticed him, either. I watched the first 5 minutes and after that just stared at the television screen right through all of the players. Mind numbingly boring. The only two mildly interesting things that came out of that match or were emphasised yet again, were: why was Phil Foden's hair so utter shit and what is the point of football now.

By far the best thing that could be done is scrap the whole thing, start a new league in 1890 style and pay them the same wage as a nurse.

Foden's hair is just weird. The comparisons get made to Gazza in 96 but he looks more like a cross between Katie Perry and a Doctor Who vilain.

Not my words ,but i totally agreed with the poster's point of view regarding our current england set up.

Even without their abhorrent political tendencies this is a mediocre team with no real stand out players (particularly compared to previous generations) with a generally turgid playing style designed by an exceptionally poor manager (but without doubt an FA insider who knows how to play the media) who would struggle otherwise to get an appointment in the top flight.

It is the consequence of two decades of a dysfunctional corrupt FA led by its political appointee allowing badly vetted foreign owners,one dimensional national training set up, too many cheap mediocre foreign imports (players and managers) alongside vastly overpriced foreign superstars and peddling widespread identity politics badly targeted and badly implemented that has significantly undermined the quality of the British game. All aspects of the British game are now stagnating.
Foden's hair is just weird. The comparisons get made to Gazza in 96 but he looks more like a cross between Katie Perry and a Doctor Who vilain.
it was indeed two desperately ordinary teams hacking a ball about for 90 minutes. Other than providing a chance to sack London, one wonders why anyone would have travelled south across the border to watch such tedium.
Both teams will get a footballing lesson and exit early. The lesson will, of course, be wasted, since they're all too busy kneeling, covering themselves with tats and getting silly haircuts to worry about acquiring some team skills.

Last edited:
The groups are decided on h2h first so Croatia can't finish above us now.
That’s not right. It’s goal difference first, then H2H. Although the way the groups are now, 4 points with 0 GD will see teams qualify. Both England and CR are guaranteed to finish top 3, both guaranteed qualification with a draw, neither want to win to top the group, neither can afford to lose….. I can see the game on Tuesday being even more soporific than Friday.

That’s not right. It’s goal difference first, then H2H. Although the way the groups are now, 4 points with 0 GD will see teams qualify. Both England and CR are guaranteed to finish top 3, both guaranteed qualification with a draw, neither want to win to top the group, neither can afford to lose….. I can see the game on Tuesday being even more soporific than Friday.
Appologies you are right. Someone on here said the groups were decided by h2h and I just took it as gospel 😀

It’s a marathon, not a sprint. Get past the group stages and that’s when things start to ramp up. It’s a gruelling competition where teams have to got to rotate their squad as best they game. Games come thick and fast. Look at France, they drew with Hungary after beating Germany in what was quite a boring encounter. Draw or beat Czech Republic and that’s when the fun begins.

Appologies you are right. Someone on here said the groups were decided by h2h and I just took it as gospel 😀
It is H2H to separate teams on same points in the same group. I've been checking this today as couldn't understand why North Macedonia were not only eliminated already, but also confirmed as bottom, while they could still get 3 points and have a huge goal difference swing over the teams above them. It's because the other 2 that could remain on 3 points have beaten them already.

That would have kept me awake tonight that if I hadn't looked it up.

Last edited:
It is H2H to separate teams on same points.
@Kent Boy 2 I've no idea what's true. Some websites are saying GD then H2H. Others are saying H2H then goal difference. UEFAs website doesn't bother telling you. Who knows what it actually is!

H2H according to this:

GD according to this:

@Kent Boy 2 I've no idea what's true. Some websites are saying GD then H2H. Others are saying H2H then goal difference. UEFAs website doesn't bother telling you. Who knows what it actually is!

H2H according to this:

GD according to this:

Yes, the various news outlets have been very contradictory, perhaps because of the was UEFA describe head to head results as GD between the sides, rather than H2H. Anyway, I’ve found the full rules on the UEFA website, and I was wrong. Croatia can’t finish above England. @the dude here are the rules…..

a. higher number of points obtained in the matches played among the teams in question
b. superior goal difference resulting from the matches played among the teams in question
c. higher number of goals scored in the matches played among the teams in question
d. if, after having applied criteria a) to c), teams still have an equal ranking, criteria a) to c) are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the remaining teams to determine their final rankings. If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria e) to i) apply in the order given to the two or more teams still equal
e. superior goal difference in all group matches
f. higher number of goals scored in all group matches
g. higher number of wins in all group matches
h. lower disciplinary points total based only on yellow and red cards received in all group matches (red card = 3 points, yellow card = 1 point, expulsion for two yellow cards in one match = 3 points)
i. position in the overall European Qualifiers rankings

Not really sure on what basis we aren’t good enough as a squad to win a tournament mind. We’ve had 5 of the last 8 champions league finalists, 2 of the last 4 winners, about half of the last CL final 22 were English, we’ve got the best league and our players play with the worlds best players week in week out. We’ve got a good collection of the worlds best attackers in particular and we are in a better position than anyone strength in depth wise.

Think our problem is threefold - squad selection is pants, manager is awful and we still haven’t settled on our best formation - Sancho should play, James shouldn’t, rice shouldn’t, Phillips shouldn’t, mings shouldn’t, Sterling shouldn’t. We are reluctant to make changes and the manager is tactically woeful tbh. If we had a good manager we’d have as good a shot as anyone at this tournament. We’re now playing a formation that we haven’t played for 4 years as a National team and didn’t play in any of the warmup games. Preparation is so poor.
How many of those teams were managed/coached by an Englishman?

Tactically we are very poor, once Scotland got men behind the ball we didn't know what to do and no real changes were made by the coaching team.

Back