England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 UEFA EURO 2020 Group D kick off 2000 ITV 1/ STV / ITV Hub / STV Player

If that was Germany the pundits would be reminding us of their ability to grind results out in the group stages and grow into the tournament. England will get better, whether enough we’ll see.

Exactly. It's one bad performance. If it's repeated on Tuesday then we'll have reason to be pissed off.

It's typical of this country. They'll be piling immense pressure on the players now, 1 week into the tournament, practically already qualified with a game to spare, and the players are getting ripped to shreds. Most of them are ont thier early 20s. Foden, grealish, mount, rice, Phillips, mings etc... all getting games and have never played at a major tournament. Then we'll all wonder why it goes tits up.

They clearly are passionate. Get behind the fuckers whilst we are still in it and if it goes tits up then have the enquiry.

It's just the clamour for f***ing drama constantly

If that was Germany the pundits would be reminding us of their ability to grind results out in the group stages and grow into the tournament. England will get better, whether enough we’ll see.
What is the evidence that we will get better? In 2 games, how many shots have we had on target?

Just watched the Scottish celebrations on the news.

A 0-0 draw against a very poor side managed by a clown ? f***ing embarrassing celebrations like they’d won the World Cup.

Exactly. It's one bad performance. If it's repeated on Tuesday then we'll have reason to be pissed off.

It's typical of this country. They'll be piling immense pressure on the players now, 1 week into the tournament, practically already qualified with a game to spare, and the players are getting ripped to shreds. Most of them are ont thier early 20s. Foden, grealish, mount, rice, Phillips, mings etc... all getting games and have never played at a major tournament. Then we'll all wonder why it goes tits up.

They clearly are passionate. Get behind the fuckers whilst we are still in it and if it goes tits up then have the enquiry.

It's just the clamour for f***ing drama constantly
Ming's is 28 grealish 25

In the cold light of day I m pondering two conclusions.

1) England players look good when playing for their clubs - I think all of us thought we could have a great chance at this tournament. But are they good because they are surrounded by world class talent at club level ? As a collective they are all underperforming.

2) Am I being harsh on the players ? There’s too many not performing at the same time . Perhaps it’s Southgates dour approach which is stifling the players. Shaw and James don’t perform like that at club level. Kane , anonymous but no service. Blah blah.

Before I get get shot down for negativity , I m being honest when thinking we ll fail badly against a decent side.
Southgate had an easy run in 2018 until he was knocked out by an average team.

Even if hopefully my second scenario is the case then it can be fixed - but not by Southgate.

I think Southgate got his tactics wrong tbh, I don't blame the players as it was obvious they were a bit hindered by the formation and tactics.

It's a worry because whilst I like Southgate, what let us down in the last tournament was that he couldn't react when the opposition got on top and change things up. Gets his subs wrong or doesn't react fast enough.

The two holding midfielders didn't break up play and just invited Scotland on. I understand why they played it, as it worked well in game one but Rice was anonymous for most of the game, essentially playing as another CB. He should have came off for Henderson or Bellingham and either would have added some more creativity down the middle where we looked empty.

Taking Foden off was a bit weird. Like we needed players who could create something going forward and Southgate obviously didn't want two on at the same times so just swapped one for another.

Kane is a big problem as we all know what he's capable off, had a great season but something's not right at the minute.

Rashford is seriously out of form and I think we need to think about giving Calvert-Lewin or Sancho a chance ahead of him now. He was just walking around the pitch with no gusto at all last night.

Sterling is frustrating to watch when he's having a bad one, fumbling the ball all the time but he should have had a penalty and scored int he first game so at least he's contributing to our near non existing attack line.

Lots of things for Southgate to ponder but I really hope he changes things up against the Czechs and goes for a more attacking line of play with a few changes.

His main problems are gonna be:

Should Kane start? Current poor form, looks off the pace and hardly contributing, dropping too deep and leaving us with nothing up top.

Maguire - does he break up the CBs who've played well, if he doesn't start this one then it's going to be difficult to drop him in at the latter stages when we're playing tougher matches?

Rice. Is it time to switch to Henderson and add a more creative and attacking element to the midfield or Bellingham even. Henderson can do Rice's job and is better at creating chances from his better passing and he can go forward.

Full backs, is he going to let them push forward - maybes try Chilwell and Trippier a s trust the defenders a bit more.

Fair play to you mate - no problem with Scotland at all .

But the celebrations are putting an average England side on a pedestal we don’t deserve.

Good luck on Tuesday.

Back