Engagement rings

So the cut, colour and grade should be considered more that the carat?
It’s a minefield out there with so many different options!

No, not more. But definitely alongside. You could probably get a 0.75c that is yellow, has loads of visible markings and poor cut for the same price as a 0.5c that is near perfect. It depends on what you want, (numbers made up as an example). Of course, there is everything in between. That's what I liked about bluenile, there was a simple to use search with plenty of options for each combination.

If you go to a high street jeweller you'll get that same 0.5c with the markings, poor cut etc for more than the near perfect one online.

So the cut, colour and grade should be considered more that the carat?
It’s a minefield out there with so many different options!
What colour band does she want? Colour is more important in a platinum/white gold setting. It's recommended you get a colourless stone (D/E/F) with a white band - on the high street you tend to find G/H/I stones.

The cut's what makes it sparkle - and lots of sparkle will make a smaller stone shine brighter and seem bigger.

Rose gold's quite fashionable at the minute - but I'd be wary of the word 'fashionable' when it's something she's gonna have forever.

Also, check Palladium. Looks exactly the same as Platinum, but a little bit lighter, and doesn't tarnish like white gold does.
And about half the price.

If you check that wedding rings direct, you can chose all of these options and see how they affect the price.

I just specced up a simple ring - 0.49c (because its massively cheaper than 0.5, and really, there's no difference), palladium band, F colour, VS1 clarity for £1250.
Classic Style Solitaire Engagement Ring

Good luck getting something that good on the high street for under £2500

Last edited:
What colour band does she want? Colour is more important in a platinum/white gold setting. It's recommended you get a colourless stone (D/E/F) with a white band - on the high street you tend to find G/H/I stones.

The cut's what makes it sparkle - and lots of sparkle will make a smaller stone shine brighter and seem bigger.

Rose gold's quite fashionable at the minute - but I'd be wary of the word 'fashionable' when it's something she's gonna have forever.

I think she’d prefer yellow gold

I think she’d prefer yellow gold
Ya'll get away with a 'yellow' stone nee bother then, which frees up more of your budget on the 3 other Cs (as will the gold band).

It's worth thinking how it'll sit in with a wedding ring as well. My mate's missus has something like this which is fine on it's own but they reckon they had a mare getting a wedding ring to fit.

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:
Oh still looking mate. Not rushing as I want to make sure I get the right one. She better say aye ha
Not sure if other places do it too, but that one I posted, they "sell" you a "fake" version for about £10, which you can use to pop the question.

Then if she says no, or she hates the ring, its only a tenner.
And if you chose to buy the proper one, you get the tenner back!

Not sure if other places do it too, but that one I posted, they "sell" you a "fake" version for about £10, which you can use to pop the question.

Then if she says no, or she hates the ring, its only a tenner.
And if you chose to buy the proper one, you get the tenner back!
I did this, n then bought the proper one from Blue Nile. :lol:

I contacted wedding rings direct to see if they'd give you a code for a referral, but they pointed out they have a 12% off code running at the moment anyway

XMAS12

Back