Engagement rings

First, learn about diamonds, the 4 Cs.

Then you'll notice the high street is often ripping people off royally.

I bought mine online from a place down south, I picked my diamond to a profile and price I wanted, then added the band. Paid a third the price of the high street.

This was the place Wedding Rings Direct - Handcrafted in our UK Workshop

Went back for wedding rings and an eternity ring too

thanks, you've saved me typing that all out. I got my wifes from bluenile. It was about £1200 and has been valued at £3000. I didn't go for the biggest stone, but I did go for perfect cut, D colour and VVS1. I compared it to the high street and for the same price it would have a been a yellow stone, with loads of obvious imperfections.

thanks, you've saved me typing that all out. I got my wifes from bluenile. It was about £1200 and has been valued at £3000. I didn't go for the biggest stone, but I did go for perfect cut, D colour and VVS1. I compared it to the high street and for the same price it would have a been a yellow stone, with loads of obvious imperfections.
Think ours was 0.5c, VS1 - can't remember the colour tbh. Cost about a grand too, all in. Paladium band, which 7 years later I totally do not regret at all - saved hundreds then, and on wedding rings, and on eternity bands - you HAVE to get the same metal each time.

Know where your financial limits are when gawping into jewellers windows. We did that on Fawcett Street and she pointed to one and said oh thats nice I think I'll want to have that diamond and sapphire one. I was only 21 and as green as grass about such things back then and gulped when I saw the price tag showing numbers equivalent to about three months wages. I had to sell me car to afford it but it was a good move, she's still wearing it over 50 years later.
He forgot to mention she’s with someone else :lol:

When I bought the wifes I decided on the one I wanted to buy and when I had enough put aside went down to buy it only to find they had a random sale on, think it was 30% off.

Thought i'd had a right touch considering it was something like 2 grand 12 years ago and I wasn't earning much at the time.

It got better though, when I went in to buy it i realised the lad in the shop went to school with me and our lass and gave me his staff discount, think it was a further 15% off the reduced price.

Can't remember the figures exactly but i'm sure I came out with about £900 in my pocket that i wasn't expecting to have. Still the most expensive money i've ever saved in hindsight like :lol:

Not much help to the OP but its the only engagement ring story i've got.

You'd have to be off your trolley if you bought something as expensive/important as this online
I bought my palladium wedding ring online - £300 Iirc.

Edit: they have a shop in Birmingham (Hathaway Styles)

Find out about Wedding-Rings.co.uk

Wedding-Rings.co.uk is part of Hathaway Styles Limited, online retailers of high quality jewellery. The Hathaway family have been manufacturing quality jewellery in the UK for over 80 years which is sold throughout the UK in some of the finest jewellers.

Last edited:
I bought my palladium wedding ring online - £300 Iirc.

Edit: they have a shop in Birmingham (Hathaway Styles)

Find out about Wedding-Rings.co.uk

Wedding-Rings.co.uk is part of Hathaway Styles Limited, online retailers of high quality jewellery. The Hathaway family have been manufacturing quality jewellery in the UK for over 80 years which is sold throughout the UK in some of the finest jewellers.
They are in the Jewellery Quarter

You are my hero. Shameless and tight as fuck but my hero nonetheless. ;)

Who said that was my plan?

Actually when i get round to it, ive got a budget but also a plan of sorts which involves clubcard points. But im not really saving any money, the plan is to get a better ring a few hundred quid over my budget with a few hundred quid discount. So either way im spending the same amount of money, but she gets a more expensive ring. Everyones a winner. Plus i like taking the piss out of big business & banks where i can. I think Martin Lewis would be proud ;)

I sold my brothers ex-missus’ in the carpark of the Sportsman’s in Belmont.

Looking back it was dodgy as fuck.

Bought our lasses from Rox. Plus both wedding rings.

Last edited:
Know where your financial limits are when gawping into jewellers windows. We did that on Fawcett Street and she pointed to one and said oh thats nice I think I'll want to have that diamond and sapphire one. I was only 21 and as green as grass about such things back then and gulped when I saw the price tag showing numbers equivalent to about three months wages. I had to sell me car to afford it but it was a good move, she's still wearing it over 50 years later.
That's lovely. :cry::D:D:D

But from the Jews in London. They’re online prices beat out all the high street options in Newcastle. The likes of rox and mapin and webb couldn’t come close to what the options were in London. Both price and quality were better.

Who said that was my plan?

Actually when i get round to it, ive got a budget but also a plan of sorts which involves clubcard points. But im not really saving any money, the plan is to get a better ring a few hundred quid over my budget with a few hundred quid discount. So either way im spending the same amount of money, but she gets a more expensive ring. Everyones a winner. Plus i like taking the piss out of big business & banks where i can. I think Martin Lewis would be proud ;)
You don't have to explain it to me mate. You do want feels best there. ;)

Love and money are different things

Some love each other enough not to need expensive jewels, some love each other enough not to mind selling their car.

You need to have been there i guess.

If you count the cost then it probably isn't love.
Marriage is about love and sharing, selling one's car or spunking three months wages on a ring is not sharing.

Back