Engagement rings

adam26

Midfield
Where’s the best place to buy? High street? Online? Anyone had good or bad experience whilst buying or exchanging if required?

Know where your financial limits are when gawping into jewellers windows. We did that on Fawcett Street and she pointed to one and said oh thats nice I think I'll want to have that diamond and sapphire one. I was only 21 and as green as grass about such things back then and gulped when I saw the price tag showing numbers equivalent to about three months wages. I had to sell me car to afford it but it was a good move, she's still wearing it over 50 years later.

When I was looking for one for Mrs K, I took my old housemate with me.
I think my logic was I could see what it looked like on a lass's hand.

What I did not realise was that she was still very much in love with me. This was pointed out to me after me and Mrs K got married!
I dragged this lass her round various jewellers to see which ring I thought would be nice for someone else!

I imagine that must have been somewhat soul-crushing.

Got our lasses from Goldsmiths. Interest free credit which always helps.

When I was looking for one for Mrs K, I took my old housemate with me.
I think my logic was I could see what it looked like on a lass's hand.

What I did not realise was that she was still very much in love with me. This was pointed out to me after me and Mrs K got married!
I dragged this lass her round various jewellers to see which ring I thought would be nice for someone else!

I imagine that must have been somewhat soul-crushing.
She probably looks back thinking that she dodged a hail of bullets tbf.

Where’s the best place to buy? High street? Online? Anyone had good or bad experience whilst buying or exchanging if required?
First, learn about diamonds, the 4 Cs.

Then you'll notice the high street is often ripping people off royally.

I bought mine online from a place down south, I picked my diamond to a profile and price I wanted, then added the band. Paid a third the price of the high street.

This was the place Wedding Rings Direct - Handcrafted in our UK Workshop

Went back for wedding rings and an eternity ring too

Last edited:
Use this guy Home I couldnt recommend him enough, you buy the metal off him (if you pay up front it’s trade price) he will work with you to design it, then make it, his wife is a gemologist who will help you choose the stones, 4 c’s etc.

If once you propose your Mrs doesn’t like it he will melt it down and start again using her input.

He did our engagement rings 11 years ago, I paid 2.2k in total they valued at over 4K for insurance as soon as they were ready, he’s lovely bloke, his website is terrible .

Back