Energy suppliers going bust

How does this work for those who have debt with their current supplier? Say someone owes £700 (picked that figure as I think you can move if the debt is under £500 anyway), can they switch from whoever they are moved to or are they stuck with them because of the debt? If they are stuck, then surely that would have a negative impact on the poorer side of the population, as they are most likely to have debts?
I know someone said earlier they used to get customers refusing to pay previous debts, how does that work? Your contract was with the company who went bust, you haven't signed anything with the new one, how can they legally get you to pay? Can see a lot of people telling them to F Off if they can't legally enforce the debt. I know the reverse is true, that a lot have credit, but presumably they are told they have to honour that as a condition of getting all these new accounts.
How do they get round the GDPR when they are transferring details to a new company, or is there something in the contracts of all energy suppliers saying they can do this? I would be fuming if my details were passed to Scottish Power (as an example) as they are useless.
I would hate to be in the middle of a complex billing dispute and have the account moved too :(
The warm home scheme too, £140 for lower income families, wonder if that gets transferred across and the new supplier has to honour it?
Not every supplier offers the warm home discount. I'm with SSE and stuck with them because I didn't want the hassle and I didn't want to risk going somewhere where the whd wasn't offered.
The price cap is already high enough, the £140 whd won't even cover all of the increases for October and April (and you're not guaranteed to get the whd anyway unless you fit a specific criteria. I'd be applying within the "wider group" etc).

How does this work for those who have debt with their current supplier? Say someone owes £700 (picked that figure as I think you can move if the debt is under £500 anyway), can they switch from whoever they are moved to or are they stuck with them because of the debt? If they are stuck, then surely that would have a negative impact on the poorer side of the population, as they are most likely to have debts?
I know someone said earlier they used to get customers refusing to pay previous debts, how does that work? Your contract was with the company who went bust, you haven't signed anything with the new one, how can they legally get you to pay? Can see a lot of people telling them to F Off if they can't legally enforce the debt. I know the reverse is true, that a lot have credit, but presumably they are told they have to honour that as a condition of getting all these new accounts.
How do they get round the GDPR when they are transferring details to a new company, or is there something in the contracts of all energy suppliers saying they can do this? I would be fuming if my details were passed to Scottish Power (as an example) as they are useless.
I would hate to be in the middle of a complex billing dispute and have the account moved too :(
The warm home scheme too, £140 for lower income families, wonder if that gets transferred across and the new supplier has to honour it?

Do all suppliers do the WHD? I thought it was only the larger ones?

Not every supplier offers the warm home discount. I'm with SSE and stuck with them because I didn't want the hassle and I didn't want to risk going somewhere where the whd wasn't offered.
The price cap is already high enough, the £140 whd won't even cover all of the increases for October and April (and you're not guaranteed to get the whd anyway unless you fit a specific criteria. I'd be applying within the "wider group" etc).
no but some of the smaller ones do, was just thinking about the whole thing in general, if you are eligible for it, get accepted then have to change supplier, if they don't honour it then not only are you paying much higher prices, but losing £140 :(

Do all suppliers do the WHD? I thought it was only the larger ones?
Quite a few according to the gov site

Affect Energy – see Octopus Energy
Atlantic – see SSE
Avro Energy
Boost
Bristol Energy - only if you’re eligible for the ‘core group’
British Gas
British Gas Evolve (formerly British Gas X)
Bulb Energy
Co-op Energy - see Octopus Energy
E (Gas and Electricity)
E.ON
Ecotricity - only if you’re eligible for the ‘core group’
EDF Energy
Green Energy UK (GEUK) - only if you’re eligible for the ‘core group’
Green Network Energy
Green Star Energy - see Shell Energy
iSupply Energy - see EDF Energy
London Power – see Octopus Energy
Lumo - see OVO
M&S Energy – see Octopus Energy
npower
nPower Select - see E.ON Next
Octopus Energy
OVO
Powershop
Pure Planet
Qwest Energy - see Octopus Energy
Roar Power - see Octopus Energy
Sainsbury’s Energy
Scottish Hydro – see SSE
ScottishPower
Shell Energy
So Energy
Southern Electric – see SSE
Spark
SSE
Swalec – see SSE
Symbio Energy
Tonik Energy - see ScottishPower
Utilita
Utility Point - only if you’re eligible for the core group
Utility Warehouse

OVO have got a new tariff coming out this morning apparently. Dunno if it's any good like, just seen it flash up on the news ticker as I was heading out the door at graft yesterday.

Going to be problems over the next few months, with fuel, energy, council tax, food and drink and NI going up. People have to claw the back the money from somewhere and the easiest place is nights out, meals out, cinema, new clothes etc etc, which then has a knock on affect with business closures, job losses etc etc

Octopus are reported to be likely survivors as a global company and well prepared.
My current 12m fixed rate was coming to an end with them next month and was just going to go on the variable but decided it would probably be better to go for the 24m one so just moved on to that and wished I’d done it a few weeks ago when it was cheaper.

hey ho

Am I right in thinking that if your supplier goes bust the default supplier will impose a new tariff when they take over, rather than honouring any previous deal?

OVO have got a new tariff coming out this morning apparently. Dunno if it's any good like, just seen it flash up on the news ticker as I was heading out the door at graft yesterday.
they said yesterday that the price rises are only counted for the 6 months to august and the next 6 months are going to be worse. dont really want to lock into a new deal thats 700 quid more than my old one but it might be even worse if i wait
Am I right in thinking that if your supplier goes bust the default supplier will impose a new tariff when they take over, rather than honouring any previous deal?
might be down to the new supplier, but edf havent. i'm just going onto the standard variable. all the comparison site deals coming up are just the variable ones anyway. looks like the companies arent bothering with cheap ones at the min.

Last edited:
My current 12m fixed rate was coming to an end with them next month and was just going to go on the variable but decided it would probably be better to go for the 24m one so just moved on to that and wished I’d done it a few weeks ago when it was cheaper.

hey ho
My deal with British Gas finished in August and I changed to the Octopus 24m deal then. It was still nearly 30% more than I paid last year but better than the offer British Gas gave me as a “loyal customer”. I found a better deal than that from British Gas online so shopping around pays off. I must admit I feel a lot luckier now than I did at the time. I’m a bit worried about where we will be in two years but I suppose it is what it is. Prices never seem to come down as much as they go up with energy fluctuations.

Back