Energy Prices - are they taking the piss???

Scottish power offering me a fixed deal at £3990 a year. They can get fucked. It's bad enough at the minute paying £179 a month up from £90 a month last year. I think i'll just put several jumpers on in the winter. I am lucky that I can afford it but I just refuse to pay it, it's a bloody disgrace.

Think I'm going to turn almost all downstairs radiators off/down and use the log burner for main room warmth. Our winters are not that bad anymore anyway. (Probs end up with another 2010 now that I have said that).

Need to work out what is cheaper wood or smokeless coals.

Think I'm going to turn almost all downstairs radiators off/down and use the log burner for main room warmth. Our winters are not that bad anymore anyway. (Probs end up with another 2010 now that I have said that).

Need to work out what is cheaper wood or smokeless coals.
Yes, ive been considering getting a log burner put in but wouldn't be surprised if they whacked the prices up for logs etc!

Aye. That costs me about £120 a month, but I’m moving to Octopus go where it should go down to £30. Trouble is I’ve got to pay my last payment to British Gas and my first to Octopus the same month, so that’s about £800.

Speculating wildly here, but I imagine their business model will be built around X% profit. So if global wholesale is indeed going up at the rate they say, they’re still going to chunk enough on top to maintain their profit. That’s the rip off bit.
Octopus are an incredible company. They are essentially a tech company and led by their smart metering set to game the system on behalf of the consumer.

One example being, If you run an EV and have tesla wall along with their tariff, the smart meter is effectively programmed to feed energy in both directions at optimal times and game the system. It is not uncommon with OE to be able to go to bed with your EV plugged in and earn money.

Founder is a north east lad also.

A quick phone call should drop it. prices havnt doubled, make sure you say that on the phone.

This , more people need to do it and be vocal about it.

Mine went from £165 eventually up to £365 per month dual fuel direct debit , I started giving them fortnightly readings and then rang up and complained quoting the increase in the cap was far less than my increase.

I told them I’d cancel my dd and only pay for what I’ve used and we eventually settled on £250 per month.

just done my last reading and it’s worked out at £182 last month , actually half of what they wanted me to pay to stay in credit to help finance their business.

Bollocks to that .

This , more people need to do it and be vocal about it.

Mine went from £165 eventually up to £365 per month dual fuel direct debit , I started giving them fortnightly readings and then rang up and complained quoting the increase in the cap was far less than my increase.

I told them I’d cancel my dd and only pay for what I’ve used and we eventually settled on £250 per month.

just done my last reading and it’s worked out at £182 last month , actually half of what they wanted me to pay to stay in credit to help finance their business.

Bollocks to that .
Exactly, always worth speaking to them to see what’s going on.

Bollocks to that .

Monthly DD's work on the basis that you over pay in the summer & under pay in the winter. It would be perfectly normal that your monthly DD would be a a canny bit higher than what you actually used in May.

Monthly DD's work on the basis that you over pay in the summer & under pay in the winter. It would be perfectly normal that your monthly DD would be a a canny bit higher than what you actually used in May.

I was way in credit at the end of the winter and they still insisted on paying more.

My point being it is always worth a call to negotiate a payment which suits the customer rather than the business.

Do you have/use a tumble dryer much? You'd be amazed the juice a non heat pump dryer goes through.
On a recommendation from one of her mates we bought a condensing tumble dryer a couple of years ago when our other one knacked.
Trying clothes seems to take longer, not sure on it's efficiency.

Do you have/use a tumble dryer much? You'd be amazed the juice a non heat pump dryer goes through.

We average 8/9kwh units a day generally (only 2 of us in a 3 bed semi) but the days where the tumble dryer are on it hits 14/15.

Amazingly, the missus still uses the bloody thing in the summer cos its "easier" for bedding apparently than the line.

I've just tied myself in with BG for another 12 months for £250 p/m. I'll kick myself if it jumps up again in October.

Their summary screen is saying my last bill on the old tarrif will be £99.07 (down from £225) with a debit of £178, yet it states I'm not paying enough!!!

Back