Energy Prices - are they taking the piss???

I’m going to have to tell them I can only pay what I can afford when the prices go up again in October. I’ll no doubt end up in debt even after the £400 we are getting but I literally cannot afford what they will be asking for. Mine will be touching £300 a month from October.
Its f***ing scandalous what's going on mind. How the utility company's hierarchy sleep at night is beyond me. Nothing short of blood money they are raking in come winter.

Anyone know if these are legit?

Our house is an e on the EPC scale and might try and shore it up for winter.

Prices have gone mental for commercial gas and electric.

Business gas is going up 250% ( my first offer was us 750%) from August and business electric 125%. A lot of Businesses are going to have to go into survival mode this winter. I don't know how some pubs, cafes etc are going to survive

Aye same, loads of leccy. Its the tumble dryer what kills us, never off. Going for a heat pump dryer when this one packs up.
Aye. Our washer and drier are on atleast once and day. Kettle is never off then we have loads of devices on a constant charging loop. Our tumbler is in the garage which I read was no good for a heat pump one in winter. I need the get a new washer as after 12 year my LG is struggling and doesn't seem to spin the clothes properly so it's taking the tumbler longer to dry them. Might get our lass one for Christmas. :lol:

Aye. Our washer and drier are on atleast once and day. Kettle is never off then we have loads of devices on a constant charging loop. Our tumbler is in the garage which I read was no good for a heat pump one in winter. I need the get a new washer as after 12 year my LG is struggling and doesn't seem to spin the clothes properly so it's taking the tumbler longer to dry them. Might get our lass one for Christmas. :lol:
:lol:

I had my 'big bill' come through and it's £1800 in the hole. BG ignored my meter reading I sent through in March & Feb for the price rises so think it's at least £800 to high. Trying to sort it out is a nightmare, I gave up trying to speak through the phone and the web chat function is like pulling teeth. Seems they still have my old meter details (even though my previous supplier had the right one) so that's why they didn't bother taking smart readings. They keep asking for more info, someone new answers my reply then tells me my bill is right and then I have to repeat myself over again. It's so painful. I've offered to email pictures of the reading and they just ignore me. I've threatened the ombudsman now and they say they're working on it but not convinced.

I used to work for BG when I first left Uni so I have sympathy for the people working customer service but since there is no need to worry about customer retention at the minute they seem to have just said 'fuck it, cut down service hours and don't answer queries'

Putting (or putin?) Russian to one side has anyone worked out why prices are going up so much?

I don't buy into the post covid supply bollocks.

Are we just been taken for mugs?

Isn't that with an electric car charging regular?
Aye. That costs me about £120 a month, but I’m moving to Octopus go where it should go down to £30. Trouble is I’ve got to pay my last payment to British Gas and my first to Octopus the same month, so that’s about £800.
Putting (or putin?) Russian to one side has anyone worked out why prices are going up so much?

I don't buy into the post covid supply bollocks.

Are we just been taken for mugs?
Speculating wildly here, but I imagine their business model will be built around X% profit. So if global wholesale is indeed going up at the rate they say, they’re still going to chunk enough on top to maintain their profit. That’s the rip off bit.

Last edited:
Anyone know if these are legit?

Our house is an e on the EPC scale and might try and shore it up for winter.

Prices have gone mental for commercial gas and electric.

Business gas is going up 250% ( my first offer was us 750%) from August and business electric 125%. A lot of Businesses are going to have to go into survival mode this winter. I don't know how some pubs, cafes etc are going to survive
That website isn't anything official. There are some grants though, limited circumstances.
Here's the official link

Last edited:
That website isn't anything official. There are some grants though, limited circumstances.
Here's the official link

Cheers for that

I filled it out on the off chance to see if there were partial grants available but it doesn't seem like it.

Seems like a middle man for people who are eligible.

For people in them categories, it's worth looking into, even if they use a more official website.

Cheers for that

I filled it out on the off chance to see if there were partial grants available but it doesn't seem like it.

Seems like a middle man for people who are eligible.

For people in them categories, it's worth looking into, even if they use a more official website.
Yeah, I think if you have kids and neither on you earn over 50k you can get a new boiler for a few hundred quid if yours is knackered.

The scheme is bound to end the day mine breaks.

Scottish power offering me a fixed deal at £3990 a year. They can get fucked. It's bad enough at the minute paying £179 a month up from £90 a month last year. I think i'll just put several jumpers on in the winter. I am lucky that I can afford it but I just refuse to pay it, it's a bloody disgrace.

Back