Energy Prices - are they taking the piss???

According to my smart meter mine barely moved since the 1st April price rise. The house is empty all day until I get in and my meter was showing about 58p usage up until 3.15 when I got home, now all of a sudden it's showing 92p for the same usage. It feels like Eon didn't rise my price in April and have just realised I wasn't paying enough?

Fixed deal just ended?

I’ve just fixed with British Gas for 12 months. It’s going to be an extra £40 a month (£175 to £215), but with the October rise, plus potentially more coming, I’ll find out on due course if I’ve made the right decision.
Not bad if only 12 mth gamble , EDF emailed me their fixed offer but im
Sure was 24 month

It’s an obvious thing to say but if you can, now is the time for solar. I’d held off until now as it’s financial benefit was always marginal.

We’re having an 8kw solar PV array installed this weekend which should generate 6,500kwh of our annual 12,000kwh usage. Battery storage and an EV charger at the same time too.

By my estimation, a standard 4kw system without any battery of charger should cost in the region of £6k and you’d recover that relatively easily with current electricity prices.

Just been told that our supplier want to up our DD from £167 to £248 a month

Wounded

Aye, there all doing this, I'm now with British gas (not by choice) got my statement yesterday, wanted to put mine up from £240 to £315.89 no chance, went on the chat thing and demanded that they put it back to £240, they did.
I'd increased it to £240 in April from £152.50. last July I was paying £105, how many will not notice though.

Aye, there all doing this, I'm now with British gas (not by choice) got my statement yesterday, wanted to put mine up from £240 to £315.89 no chance, went on the chat thing and demanded that they put it back to £240, they did.
I'd increased it to £240 in April from £152.50. last July I was paying £105, how many will not notice though.
Increasing your DD to a higher level ready for the October rise to kick in and add another 50% hoping you wont respond. Chancers the lot of them

Increasing your DD to a higher level ready for the October rise to kick in and add another 50% hoping you wont respond. Chancers the lot of them

I told mine (OVO) where to shove their DD and I’ll keep the money that would’ve been paid to them until the bill lands.

At least that way nowt shady can be done with my money by them gambling and if they go bust im not waiting for refunds.

British Gas is wanting £390 per month to fix for 12 months.

They are also getting my gas readings from a smart meter which I do not have so work that one out.....

Some of these prices are mental. Luckily I fixed for 2 years in September. I don't know how some people are going to manage even with the help.

I’ve just fixed with British Gas for 12 months. It’s going to be an extra £40 a month (£175 to £215), but with the October rise, plus potentially more coming, I’ll find out on due course if I’ve made the right decision.
How much per unit and standing charge?
Are you currently in credit?

Just been told that our supplier want to up our DD from £167 to £248 a month

Wounded
Mines £200 a month up from around £130. Expecting it going upto £300 next time. More than our lass pays for her car loan and insurance combined ffs.
Some of these prices are mental. Luckily I fixed for 2 years in September. I don't know how some people are going to manage even with the help.
Alot of vulnerable people will die over the winter due to this.

Last edited:

I’m going to have to tell them I can only pay what I can afford when the prices go up again in October. I’ll no doubt end up in debt even after the £400 we are getting but I literally cannot afford what they will be asking for. Mine will be touching £300 a month from October.

Back