Energy Prices - are they taking the piss???

The standing charges are the real killer for low users like me, they're robbing us all blind.
The standing charges need a proper looking at , they just seem to put them up because they can .
The huge hike due to the collapse of other companies never really was costed out for us and should have been more or less a one off as all the extra customers they took on were basically all connected to the network anyway and once the admin was sorted that was it .
The standing charge always seems to get ignored when the headlines always are about the price hikes .

The standing charges are the real killer for low users like me, they're robbing us all blind.

looking back at my bills from May 2021, i was paying 8.99p standing charge for electric and gas or £33 each per year
Now I am paying 47.553p for electric and 27.128p for gas, or £173.55 and £99 per year

That's an increase from £66 to £272.55 per year in less than 2 years before you turn anything on. A £313% jump. Absolutely nuts.

looking back at my bills from May 2021, i was paying 8.99p standing charge for electric and gas or £33 each per year
Now I am paying 47.553p for electric and 27.128p for gas, or £173.55 and £99 per year

That's an increase from £66 to £272.55 per year in less than 2 years before you turn anything on. A £313% jump. Absolutely nuts.
I'm paying nearly a quid a day for both.

The energy regulator Ofgem has threatened The Times and one of its journalists with criminal sanctions after they exposed how agents working for British Gas were routinely breaking into customers’ homes.

The watchdog has sent letters to the newspaper and Paul Morgan-Bentley, its head of investigations, threatening unlimited fines if they do not hand over all the reporter’s relevant materials, including confidential notes and undercover footage.

The energy regulator Ofgem has threatened The Times and one of its journalists with criminal sanctions after they exposed how agents working for British Gas were routinely breaking into customers’ homes.

The watchdog has sent letters to the newspaper and Paul Morgan-Bentley, its head of investigations, threatening unlimited fines if they do not hand over all the reporter’s relevant materials, including confidential notes and undercover footage.

Hopefully the times will reply with a giant cartoon middle finger for the corrupt arseholes.

Just had an email from shell.

Your electricity rates are changing from 31.871p to 31.924p per kWh. Your electricity standing charge per day is changing from 49.93p to 57.03p.

So the caps still the same but the prices still manage to go up a little. 🤔

Standing charge is a joke mind

So energy also sent an email saying the same,

Gas Standing charge 28.47p per day 29.10p per day
Unit rate 10.19p per kWh 10.22p per kW

It wouldn't surprise me if this £2,500 average cap is in effect increasing due to average usage reducing thereby maintaining the average usage being £2,500

Not sure how I feel about this.

Obviously any price reduction will be welcome but in reality are people going to want to arse on with two energy companies every year? I'm sure you can or could do it now but the companies make it more expensive. Who is to say they won't just keep it the same?
Don't think it's on about two energy companies. It's referring to how each is priced. Currently green electricity generation is priced at how much it costs to generate from Gas. As gas prices shot up so did the electricity coats. I think it's referring to decoupling the two.

Last edited:
Don't think it's on about two energy companies. It's referring to how each is priced. Currently green electricity generation is priced at how much it costs to generate from Gas. As gas prices shot up so did the electricity coats. I think it's referring to decoupling the two.

That makes more sense.

If possible it would be useful to look at alternatives to using gas at home. The likes of storage batteries,Solar, smart immersion heaters can help reduce costs.

If possible it would be useful to look at alternatives to using gas at home. The likes of storage batteries,Solar, smart immersion heaters can help reduce costs.
Last summer all my hot water was from solar, expect to switch to solar for hot water in a couple of weeks and only use gas for hobs. Apart from about 05kWh a day from the grid all my electricity has been solar for about two weeks now.

Is anyone seeing tariffs reducing in price to reflect the lower wholesale prices that we keep hearing about? Or are we looking at another winter ahead of us with daft bills?

Is anyone seeing tariffs reducing in price to reflect the lower wholesale prices that we keep hearing about? Or are we looking at another winter ahead of us with daft bills?

I have an economy 7 meter - They've just lowered my night rate and raised my day rate. No doubt they'll reverse that towards the end of the year, must think we're stupid.

Last edited:

Back