Energy Prices - are they taking the piss???

This will be applied over six months, with a reduction of £66 in October and November, and £67 every month between December and March 2023.
The discount will be made automatically by energy suppliers in England, Scotland and Wales. There is no need to apply.

I got an e mail explaining this two weeks ago from EDF.

Best and most informative poster on this forum. Unlike some of the whoppers who will post after me

A B747-400 captain, if that's you in your avatar. Impressive. :) ;)

Congratulations on piloting one of the final BA 747-400 flights, quite an occasion:

Last edited:
Right I've just had an email through from Eon as my fixed deal ends in 2 days time, the email has a link to Eons new flexible rates. I'm absolutely shitting it here as I'm positive they're loads higher than what Martin Lewis has predicted they will be???

The new rates are as follows:

Electricity 50.09 p/kwh 19.61 per day standing charge.
Gas 14.63 p/kwh and 28.48 per day standing charge.

My electricity annual usage is 2100kwh and gas is 14800kwh

Working out the annual cost this comes to just shy of £3500 before the £400 government "grant" is taken off... Surely this can't be right?? I'm a single lad living in a 2 bed flat and am very conscious of turning things off if I am not using them..
To add to the above, on my last months statement my annual usage for gas was 12500 yet this month its 14800... I haven't even used the heating yet so can't see how this has f***ing rocketed up?? Is this Eon taking their chances before whacking my DD up to justify it or what?
Apart from the rates is your usage definitely correct, is that not a hell of a lot of gas for a 2 bed flat, or is it meant to be 1480?

This will be applied over six months, with a reduction of £66 in October and November, and £67 every month between December and March 2023.
The discount will be made automatically by energy suppliers in England, Scotland and Wales. There is no need to apply.

Just had my £66 refunded to my bank today

i thought it was a discount on your bill?
Energy suppliers are applying the discount in different ways. Some are applying it to your energy account and reducing your direct debit, others are taking the full direct debit and refunding you the government credit to your bank account. I know which i'd prefer.

Ovo paid me £66 into my bank account today. I promptly paid Ovo £66 back so I can keep my DD the same. Petty I know but thats how I`m going to play it

Ovo paid me £66 into my bank account today. I promptly paid Ovo £66 back so I can keep my DD the same. Petty I know but thats how I`m going to play it

Aye I’m with OVO too.

They upped my DD to £300 a month earlier this year so
I’m over £1k in credit. Wasn’t sure if that’s why they’d sent it to my bank as opposed to crediting my account.

Scottish Power are doing refunds back to bank accounts. My DD doesn't go out til 13th so won't get my £66 refund til after then.
Ours went out on the 1st. I checked our energy account yesterday and the £66 had been credited. It’s not there now so assuming they’re crediting the account then refunding it.

It's daft that they are allowed to charge different prices depending how you pay.

Dinnar like marra. DD means they get a constant trickle of money, I wouldn’t be surprised if some people who pay in arrears fuck off without paying so they need to charge a bit more to cover that. No idea why anyone wouldn’t pay DD tbh
Mines just gone up £35 a month.
I can live with that.

I’d be careful with assuming that covers it marra, work out the % unit cost increase vs before and multiple the DD up accordingly or you might end up owing out.

Last edited:
For my email from Scottish Power today about coming off my fixed rate while the kids were getting haircuts. Mentioned to the other man waiting and the hairdresser that I’m going from £1700 a year to £4600 a year.

Both of them said - “but I thought she was capping the bills at £2500??”

FUÇKING HELL MAN.
£4600 :eek:

Back